• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.90
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, RTRider said:

Testament that He alone is God and that there is no other.

This is something that gets confused by the first commandment when he says to put no other gods before him, this would imply that there are other lesser gods that can be followed as well as him or he wouldn't have had to say that in that way to the people he said it to.

I think there is more to understanding this than just a few words in a few verses are used.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

35 minutes ago, RTRider said:

I think we have been trained to not see the elephant in the room. Yahweh (One True God) in an interlinear bible states several times in the Old Testament that He alone is God and that there is no other. Before I believe that He changed that, He would then have to tell me that. Otherwise, I believe what He has already said.

Jesus told us that no one has ever seen the Father, however Moses tells us that he, Aaron and 72 other people went up and saw the God of Israel (Yahweh)   Yahweh can not be the Father.   I do believe that he said there were no other Gods before him, not that others did not exist.

I firmly believe that we do not understand what the word God meant to the people who wrote the Bible.  The same word used for the God of Israel is the same word used for Moloch and Baal. And since there are no capital letters in Hebrew, the only difference in God and god is in the context observed by the translators.   God can be used and is for any of the Trinity.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Oh, there is more to understanding what we read with our "western eyes." There are two principles illustrated in scripture that confuse us tremendously. A simple web search can explain our problems with understanding what is written. The principle of "Agency" and that of "preexistence" have to be understood to keep from making errors in our understanding.

In short, the figure that Moses, Aaron, and 72 others saw could be any "agent" sent my Yahweh, or what they saw was however Yahweh chose to appear.

If we believe that scripture is "God-breathed," then we also must understand that scripture does not contradict itself. If it appears to, the issue is how we understand or translate and not what is written.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, FJK said:

This is something that gets confused by the first commandment when he says to put no other gods before him, this would imply that there are other lesser gods that can be followed as well as him or he wouldn't have had to say that in that way to the people he said it to.

I think there is more to understanding this than just a few words in a few verses are used.

There are many more statements in scripture about "other gods" which could have been kings, princes, property owners, etc. The term "god" was quite common. That is why I prefer to use God's name - I don't want to confuse anyone about what I am saying.

2 hours ago, RTRider said:

If we believe that scripture is "God-breathed," then we also must understand that scripture does not contradict itself. If it appears to, the issue is how we understand or translate and not what is written.

The Bible says plainly they saw the God of Israel.  Jesus says no one has seen the Father.

Add to that, when the Jews spoke to Jesus about Abraham, he referred to them that before Abraham was "I am".    Which is what Yahweh told Moses to tell the Hebrews, who it was that sent him.  We are told that Jesus existed in the form of God before he became  human flesh.

21 hours ago, other one said:

The Bible says plainly they saw the God of Israel.  Jesus says no one has seen the Father.

Add to that, when the Jews spoke to Jesus about Abraham, he referred to them that before Abraham was "I am".    Which is what Yahweh told Moses to tell the Hebrews, who it was that sent him.  We are told that Jesus existed in the form of God before he became  human flesh.

No, if we never open our eyes to recognize that we do not and basically cannot think like a 2000-year-old Jewish person, we will deceive ourselves. The English word "see" does not always mean "with our eyes," and sometimes it means more "perceive" or "understand." Other scriptures must be consulted in order determine truth.

The Hebrew phrase for "I am" (ehyeh) is used 43 times in the Old Testament - and it did not refer to God all those times. The Greek phrase "ego eimi" is used on the New Testament 141  times and does not refer to God all those times either.

We are not told that Jesus existed in the form of God before he was begotten. Jesus' only existence before His birth was in God's prophecy. 

https://21stcr.org/commentaries/preexistence-overview/preexistence-articles/the-nature-of-preexistence-in-the-new-testament/

I realize that you have been taught differently, but I rely on scripture which requires deep study. After all, we depend on scripture for our truth and prayer to God for revelation of that truth. Here, 2000 years later after scripture being tortured in the hands of man, the prayer part is huge. We will never see if we cannot open our minds to hear the answer.

Since you seem to be saying that Yahweh is not God's name, who do you think God is?

Pffft

• 2 weeks later...

I see.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,094
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

He is 3 Persons who live in me but to be fair I never noticed any difference and see Him as one. It's not that I ask the Father something and then the Holy Spirit and that's totally different and then Jesus and notice that it's not the Father. I mean Philip. Do you not know Me? Have I been with you so long.

I like to picture the Trinity not as 3 cirkels apart with some overlap, but 3 drawn over each other, so it's one and you don't see the difference.

• Interesting! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,191
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 6/26/2023 at 2:36 PM, Philologos said:

It’s not scripture or doctrine I’m looking for, I’m not asking to be taught about the trinity- I’m asking for thought processes related to why we focus on either the individuals of the trinity and why some focus on the One even though they may believe the same doctrine.

The eternal God of Father, Son and Spirit is preexisting and all Their omni's cannot be brought to conclusion because that is nonexistent in Their Persons... we simply accept the doctrinal teaching of God's Word and accept it by faith... as faith is the bridge which has always been even before sin. God made Adam day six and all else was in place prior. So Adam in his questions of life and all else -would have to come from God's Word alone to answer! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1