IGNORED

Ash Wednesday Mark ? A Seal of the Cross, Or a Mark you Shouldn't Take ? ? ?

believeinHim

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,225
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

Can anyone explain the Ash Wednesday Mark to me ? ? ? Is it a seal of the cross, Or is it a mark you shouldn't take ? Does it come from Rome ? Is it Roman Catholic ? :emot-questioned:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,250
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.66
  • Days Won:  1

21 minutes ago, other one said:

From the article:

"Ash Wednesday – also known as the Day of Ashes – is a day of repentance, when Catholics and Christians confess their sins and profess their devotion to God leading up to Easter. "

The use of the term "Catholics and Christians" seems to indicate they are different from one another, although the statement itself shows they share some of the same rituals and beliefs which indicates they are related.

If it had said something more like "Catholics and other Christians" it would have meant that Catholics are Christian but it does not say that which sugests Catholics are not the same as Christians, is there a reason for this?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.49
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

The priest dips his thumb in ashes and forms a cross smudge on the forehead.

Its an interesting thing, but although my mom was excomminicated for divorce (dad left when I was 4), she made sure I was involved.  First communion, confirmation, catechism, alter boy practice, the confessional, etc. I do not recall any clarity about Christ as Savior and the need. Much attention was given to Mary. I did learn the law and the concept of repentance. Those things were instrumental to who I was becoming and indeed affected my choices and behavior when a boy.

The rituals, such as ash wednesday, produced a certain sense of awe and respect. Thus, as has always been the case, those sorts of ‘religious’ things appeal to flesh, but have no eternal value. And yet, My Savior used them in some way.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47

52 minutes ago, Alive said:

Its an interesting thing, but although my mom was excomminicated for divorce (dad left when I was 4), she made sure I was involved.  First communion, confirmation, catechism, alter boy practice, the confessional, etc. I do not recall any clarity about Christ as Savior and the need. Much attention was given to Mary. I did learn the law and the concept of repentance. Those things were instrumental to who I was becoming and indeed affected my choices and behavior when a boy.

The rituals, such as ash wednesday, produced a certain sense of awe and respect. Thus, as has always been the case, those sorts of ‘religious’ things appeal to flesh, but have no eternal value. And yet, My Savior used them in some way.

I never had any of those things, though my older siblings did. I can remember the awe, and focus on things heavenly, the next world and life though. Doesn't seem like alot of that elsewhere. The focus tends to be when the events on the earth are to occur.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

I never had any of those things, though my older siblings did. I can remember the awe, and focus on things heavenly, the next world and life though. Doesn't seem like alot of that elsewhere. The focus tends to be when the events on the earth are to occur.

I can see how most forum discussions give that impression, but there are many serious folks here focused on heavenly things. Its just that the meat of the word does not get the drama.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, believeinHim said:

Can anyone explain the Ash Wednesday Mark to me ? ? ? Is it a seal of the cross, Or is it a mark you shouldn't take ? Does it come from Rome ? Is it Roman Catholic ? :emot-questioned:

This is not done in Eastern Orthodox. So, I assume it is developed in Papal Catholicism. Fasting however before Passover had been observed early on. Some one day, two days etc. from apostolic times. I wonder if this came from the fast of the firstborn? Or that it is this paschal dispute, concerning when to break the fast.  

The Quartodecimans claimed that their traditions are inherited from the Apostle John and Philip, while western churches claimed that their views of Easter have been inherited from Paul and Peter.[6] Quartodecimanism was mainly popular in Asia Minor, Jerusalem and Syria,[7][8][9] however it was rejected by churches in other regions.[10] Polycarp, like other Asiatics, kept Easter on the fourteenth day of the month of Nisan. According to Eusebius, Polycarp claimed that his practice came from the apostle John.[3][Joh4] 

John the baptists disciples vs Christs disciples as well?

Mt 19:14 Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not?
15  And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

If the above had anything to do with the origins of the lenten fast

then, the day of his resurrection would make sense, instead of the 14th, when he was taken from them. 

Edited by Anne2
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,476
  • Content Per Day:  6.16
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

13 hours ago, believeinHim said:

In the end, if someone observes this or not, it is up to them. If a brother is observing it and you call him out on it (as not having scriptural foundation), then it may be a stumbling to them. We should never seek to stumble another believer with our words or actions regarding something nonessential like this.  (see Romans 14:2)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Vine Abider said:

In the end, if someone observes this or not, it is up to them. If a brother is observing it and you call him out on it (as not having scriptural foundation), then it may be a stumbling to them. We should never seek to stumble another believer with our words or actions regarding something nonessential like this.  (see Romans 14:2)

It is the heart that matters. But... Should we not also concern ourselves with false characterizations? As well as hypocritical judgments? These are equally serious. We have acceptance, even to praise of keeping Rabbinic tradition. Which are just another form of "sacraments". People teaching on the passover and keeping it according to rabbinic traditions. But often without so much as a peep. But anything coming from Rome, condemned? Shouldn't we be careful and circumspect in this?