• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/10/1997

Do Christians believe a Christian can forfeit their salvation? I’ve known many people who were true believers in the bible and Jesus but fell away. I’ve heard it depends on who you ask but trying to find the closest thing to truth on this is almost impossible. 

The biggest defence of the belief is free will but the biggest argument against it is the doctrine of eternal security/OSAO. 

This question has probably been asked before if so please lock this post or link me to a related post.

Thank you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.84
  • Days Won:  1

The Parable of the Sower comes to mind.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.96
  • Days Won:  21

C S Lewis termed the Holy Spirit as, 'the hound of heaven'. To forfeit your Salvation you really really have to work at it hard. The ultimate sacrifice of our Lord and Savior was a Great Price paid. To let that go to waste is a travesty of the highest order.

To forfeit your Salvation you have to deliberatedly turn your back on Yeshua and His Saving Grace.

Remember that no good work of ours could save us and therfore no bad work can do the un-saving.

Stick with the Lord even though all seems to be lost. Stand fast even if your faith is weak.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Content Per Day:  2.79

2 hours ago, FJK said:

The Parable of the Sower comes to mind.

This parable shows one must return to the Father to be restored

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.16

1 hour ago, NConly said:

This parable shows one must return to the Father to be restored

The parable of the sower has nothing to do with returning to the Father.  That is the parable of the prodigal son.  The parable of the sower is about people's reaction to hearing the word of God.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,163
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, Tefutakato said:

This question has probably been asked before if so please lock this post or link me to a related post.

Thank you.

I've been here for about 20 years now and have been through many many threads on the subject.  There is scripture that leads one to believe that one can not/will not give up salvation, and some by themselves that seem to show it can happen.  However most of the ones that come to mind about those that can seem to end with Jesus saying, "I never knew you."

So in almost all the threads it ends up saying yes they can people ask, "was the person who seemingly fell away really saved in the first place"...

So to me personally who can not know the heart of a person, I can just say that I, personally, can't conceive of walking away from the salvation promise that Jesus has given me...   for any reason whatsoever.

but since I can't know if anyone else is saved or not, I can only speak for myself.    But one thing I have learned in my 76  years in this world is that it's not a good idea to use the term never.....    seems to provoke the devil, and I really don't need that.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Content Per Day:  2.79

3 hours ago, JimmyB said:

The parable of the sower has nothing to do with returning to the Father.  That is the parable of the prodigal son.  The parable of the sower is about people's reaction to hearing the word of God.

yes I must of been having and old man moment, when I read the OP I thought of The Prodigal Son. Sorry

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.16

1 hour ago, NConly said:

yes I must of been having and old man moment, when I read the OP I thought of The Prodigal Son. Sorry

I'm 80 next month so I understand perfectly.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,470
  • Content Per Day:  12.21
  • Days Won:  31

4 hours ago, other one said:

I've been here for about 20 years now and have been through many many threads on the subject.  There is scripture that leads one to believe that one can not/will not give up salvation, and some by themselves that seem to show it can happen.  However most of the ones that come to mind about those that can seem to end with Jesus saying, "I never knew you."

So in almost all the threads it ends up saying yes they can people ask, "was the person who seemingly fell away really saved in the first place"...

So to me personally who can not know the heart of a person, I can just say that I, personally, can't conceive of walking away from the salvation promise that Jesus has given me...   for any reason whatsoever.

but since I can't know if anyone else is saved or not, I can only speak for myself.    But one thing I have learned in my 76  years in this world is that it's not a good idea to use the term never.....    seems to provoke the devil, and I really don't need that.

@other one I do love the assurance of: "He that hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1.6).

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,163
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, farouk said:

@other one I do love the assurance of: "He that hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1.6).

And I trust he will do that with me.    With others I can't be sure it's a work from him or someone suffering with self delusion.  That would be the folks that thought they were saved and hear him say, "I never knew you."

I know people who say they believe, but will not confess to me that Jesus is definitely their Lord.  There is a lot to that confession.    But, like I said, one can not really know another's heart so who am I to judge anyone but myself.