• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  3

I found this article by Crossway very helpful:

https://www.crossway.org/articles/we-should-expect-frustration-when-reading-the-bible/

So often we want The Bible to be jigsaws to make a puzzle complete, when it can be a rubix cube that rubs us the wrong way. Knowing its normal to get frustrated and even feel unable to reconcile a passage or verse like an Algebra equation is freeing! That just like when a subject in school drove us to exasperation, tears, and torment, we did one day understand it, and went forward! 

Edited by Solus Christus

• Solus Christus changed the title to “We Should Expect Frustration Reading The Bible”

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

Well, we can be prayerful so we don't get frustrated.

But when people decide to make verses fit with other verses, while they do not correctly understand them . . . now there can be a problem.

And when ones try to argue wrong beliefs to fit with the Bible . . . that's another way to get in trouble.

The problem might not be with fitting the verses together: rather, the problem is how they try to fit their misunderstandings of verses together!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,272
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Solus Christus said:

So often we want The Bible to be jigsaws to make a puzzle complete, when it can be a rubix cube that rubs us the wrong way.

I agree. And as so often has happened, the more I file scripture away in my heart and mind, I see pieces start fitting, scripture verses complimenting or completing other verses. Like a puzzle I suppose, locating all the straight pieces first to create the borders, then it is like the easy understandable verses first, and building on them, fitly joined.

Those "I get it" moments, often here on the forum, are a big help to keep mining for the other nuggets of wisdom that apply.
But I had to first build on the already learned basic scriptures in my mind to recognize the 'bigger mystery'.

Back to the basics first.
"When the seasoned Green Bay Packers football team came in to start training camp, July 1961, they expected to immediately begin where they left off and work on ways to advance their game and learn fancy new ways to win the championship in the new season. When they sat down and began, Vince Lombardi held up a football and said, “Gentlemen, this is a football!”     :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, com7fy8 said:

Well, we can be prayerful so we don't get frustrated.

But when people decide to make verses fit with other verses, while they do not correctly understand them . . . now there can be a problem.

And when ones try to argue wrong beliefs to fit with the Bible . . . that's another way to get in trouble.

The problem might not be with fitting the verses together: rather, the problem is how they try to fit their misunderstandings of verses together!

There are passages that challenge us like:

Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.” (Matthew 10:34-36) 

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.” (Matthew 23:9) 

If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26)

These are some hard sayings that if not interpreted carefully could cause damage to relationships. I admit Matt  23:9 makes me call my father  dad instead of father. Because I have yet to grasp fully what our Lord is saying yet. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,306
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

As Peter wrote, there are passages that Paul wrote things that are difficult to understand and that is not just Paul's passages.

Many difficult passages need Christian and biblical maturity  to understand, but there is a resource  no o e has mentioned,  that of biblical commentaries, where other Christians have struggled  to understand the bible and are sharing the results of their studies.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,429
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Folks we live in an age of information... I have spent thousands of dollars on digital libraries so that I can immediately assemble those puzzle pieces.... I know where to wait as The Scripture takes us no further and where to study because it does... The real issue is the hermeneutic upon which one derives their understanding from the Scriptures and not the Scripture to their understanding... This and the Holy Spirit of God will become this to the man of God:

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)
[15] Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The truth should resonate in the reborn s/Spirit of man unless his flesh is in the way....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,723
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hmm, don't think I have felt frustration, but instead have been and often still am much intrigued when reading the word of God to me. With the example do not call any man your father,  a basic common sense tells me that some fuller context is necessary, for on it's face alone it makes no sense, and is obviously contrary to command to have respect for  one's parents.

So, the intrigue calls out for me to be engaged in further reading within the Bible and then too learning of customs of the culture that was directly being addressed in order to gain reconciliation of the writings within the Bible itself.

Eventually a deeper understanding occurs, in a gestalt moment, an ahha! That moment becomes greatly satisfying, for it enables better application of God's will in my own life; then I can move on to yet another  I wonder what that means and how to apply it time.

It is grand fun, even when it results in  an embarrassed mind for having so badly misunderstood, or not understood at all, God's word!

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,723
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

A lengthy PostScript:

Found the article interesting, if not also  distracting for my  wondering why did they name their son Calvin? I wondered, did they do it of their own freewill or was it known and predestined from before the beginning?  :whistling:

p.p.s. There is crying in Bible discovery; both in much sorrow and also with immense joy.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.14

When I read the Bible, I just read the Bible and let it (actually God) speak to me.  I can feel my Spirit drinking in the words and message of Scripture. I do not try to make logical sense out of it or compare what I am reading to other parts of Scripture.

I save that kind of thinking for forum discussions!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

9 hours ago, Solus Christus said:

There are passages that challenge us like:

Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.” (Matthew 10:34-36) 

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.” (Matthew 23:9) 

If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26)

These are some hard sayings that if not interpreted carefully could cause damage to relationships. I admit Matt  23:9 makes me call my father  dad instead of father. Because I have yet to grasp fully what our Lord is saying yet. 

Oh yes :) 

In any case, trust God to give you good understanding.

In a number of places, God's word calls someone the "father" of someone else. But it does not mean like God is our Father.

A human father needs to be humbled, not loved and honored more than we love and honor our Heavenly Father.

Here is possibly part of what Jesus means by saying someone needs to "hate" father and mother > get rid of any selfish ways that you have picked up from your mother and father. And become all-loving like our Heavenly Father.

However, there are parents who follow Jesus, and are our good examples.