Kristin

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

This is true and commanded. But we know it can be hard. What do you do when your parent(s) lies and you find yourself in court to testify. What do you do when your parent(s) don’t take care of you etc. I have high profile people in mind, but also many of us peasants in mind. 
Your thoughts..

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41

Can I edit my topic sentence?  Sorry! 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  1.14
  • Days Won:  3

First question is what is honor? It means to treat with respect. You can respect your parents but hold then accountable in court, you respect they brought you life, but if they are abusive and cruel and wicked, you may severe ties, and prosecute if they did something criminal. 

You must forgive, but you are not required to re-establish trust or have a relationship. 

Our Lord Jesus cut off family members, 

“[21] And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind.”

Jesus’ Mother and Brothers

[31] And his mother and his brothers came, and standing outside they sent to him and called him. [32] And a crowd was sitting around him, and they said to him, “Your mother and your brothers are outside, seeking you.” [33] And he answered them, “Who are my mother and my brothers?” [34] And looking about at those who sat around him, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! [35] For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother.” (Mark 3:21, 31-35)

Jesus’ other family members (Joseph & Mary’s children, Matthew 13:55-56, Matthew 1:25) called him crazy and He put them in their place. Mary his Mother had to decide to break with them and follow Jesus, and so Jesus had to appoint a disciple to take care of her (John 19:26-27) because her other children had cut her off for having faith in Jesus. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

9 hours ago, Kristin said:

This is true and commanded. But we know it can be hard. What do you do when your parent(s) lies and you find yourself in court to testify. What do you do when your parent(s) don’t take care of you etc. I have high profile people in mind, but also many of us peasants in mind. 
Your thoughts..

Hi,  I cannot directly address a specific set of circumstances. I can suggest  that it might be more beneficial to one's self to forgive totally, unilaterally, the perceived offenses no matter how real and hurting they may have been.

For at some point the aftermath of it all ( Whatever the details) will be faced. How does one want to have to face it all at that yet to come time? As one who chose to forgive totally? Or as one who did not do so?

There is the great temptation to lay "blame" on parents for what  each of us are now, yet  at some point  we are responsible for ourselves regardless of any  and all upbringing tribulations.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.94

11 hours ago, Kristin said:

Your thoughts..

When we pray "Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us" we should think deeply about what we are saying and why we are saying it.

Whether it's parents or others who have done us wrong, when we don't forgive thosw wrongs, those sins against us. they will remain in control of our lives and the direction they take until we do, even after they are long gone and even unto our own deaths (maybe even in eternity as well).

Forgiveness is one of the most important things we can do, and there are no exceptions to it I can find in God's word.  If you can't do it for the Lord, at least do it for yourself.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

Don't think Jesus cut off his family, think he was hopeful that would change. Remember Jesus could read hearts and in fact his family did eventually accept him. We must always obey God before anyone including our parents. If that mean telling the truth, so be it.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

14 hours ago, Kristin said:

Can I edit my topic sentence?  Sorry! 

You can, if you haven't, already. Find the button with the three dots up on the right side of your first post. Press that, then press "Edit", and you can then see where you can edit the title.

I would say that there are things to forgive and to put up with those things, since none of us is perfect.

But if there is dangerous and obviously cruel treatment . . . that is a police matter.

If you have a pastor you trust, you could start with that person.

Edited by com7fy8

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

17 hours ago, Kristin said:

Your thoughts..

Hi.. there is allot of background but no time here. My dad (step dad since I was 3) was a marine and could get very very mad.. no hand no belt but a big board. Always beat always made fun of. The day before Christmas "your going to be bum all your life". Skipping allot I was finally aloud to go to Church with my mom and every Sunday I would go up front crying weeping.. I knew how bad I was. This grand mother came up one Sunday crying for me. She knew about my family. She said "you have to ask your dad to forgive you". At that moment it made no sense to me, me ask him to forgive me? He was married before had 6 kids which never wanted anything to do with him. Oh you never ever mouthed off. He made sure you knew the store how his son Bobby said "pop" he said say it again and Bobby did and he put his head in the wall. Again allot is being left out.

So I remember later that week down stairs watching TV ANYTHING he wanted. The clock above the TV shows 8:30pm. I look to my left and say "dad will you forgive me for ever hurting you". He looks back says "yes will you forgive me". THAT is what God wanted. I won't break that down as to why I had to ask him to forgive me. He did give his life to Christ.. he would always be watching this known preacher. When he had bone cancer we were walking to the store he says so me "out of all my kids (eight if you count me and by brother) I feel closest to you". It was not me it that was Christ in me. My bother? One night at the table I don't remember why my brother left the table he was 15 I was 12. My dad gets up goes after him to the bed room you just ..I am so sorry.. screaming the next morning my brother had ran away never came back.

For all the ... things you don't want to ever think about. I am 62 and have allot of dreams about my dad yet in every one hes always very nice not one was ever a bad dream. That is odd.. I know why but. So with the help of a grand mother that prayed 4h a day I did in fact honor my father and mother. But I also was a kid. So the insecurity, anxiety, fear because of my child hood.. has always been there.. This is where I stop.. bless you.    

• Thanks 1