• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

6 hours ago, Stan Murff said:

I'm surprised there's no band name "Whiplash"

If there is, I never heard of them.  I'd think they would be a thrash metal band.

Hey Stan.  

In the 80's there was a band from Jersey named Whiplash  ..  metal,lol(I remember because I used to go back & forth from NY to Florida alot back then and alot of my friends talked about them ( cause I flew in and out of Jersey-stupid right? Like that's why I used the Jersey airport?????)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

As I read this, I'm sitting here in my music studio and wondering what to create next that would glorify God, give Him praise and  hopefully advance His purposes.

I really like Micheal W. Smith's praise music. It brought me to tears when I had it on the other day. I wish I could emulate his ability to make that kind of music. I have praise in my heart for God, but the way things come out of me is entirely different, and I don't always want to be what I am. I want people to stand up and focus on God if it's a worship song. The best I could do recently was sing a Getty song, which also brought tears to my eyes in listening to those lyrics.

We are in a spiritual battle and I think metal music makes a great medium to put the ideas of fighting and battle out there. It's aggressive battle music for the Lord in my opinion, if used in that way.  Many people want to focus on the cushy stuff that makes them think good thoughts and be relaxed, and I make a lot of that too, but mostly music only that doesn't specifically focus on the Christian life....and as I've had some real pruning and trials lately, my sad heart tends to relay that most often. I'm not in that happy carefree place right now, so what comes out of me probably isn't.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Content Per Day:  4.80
  • Days Won:  0

Well I can't say enough about casting our cares upon the Lord for He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7)... and being careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. (Philippians 4:6-8)

Doing a word study on "care" and "careful" was enlightening for me as I found these are the cares of the world Jesus spoke of in Mark 4:13-20 that the devil uses to choke the Word out of us so we bear no fruit

In this passage Jesus gives us the 5 things the devil uses to choke God's Word out of us... IF we allow these things to enter in, and they are persecution, affliction, cares of this world, lusts of other things, and deceitfulness of riches

Leading to how we should cast down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5)

And that the sorrow of this world brings death which is separation from the Lord ((2 Corinthians 7:10-12, and Romans 8:6-7) so feelings of sadness and sorrow need to be cast out.

No to mention Godly music moves us to acknowledge and think about the Lord and the wonderful things He has done... while worldly music moves us to think about the darkness and sorrow of this world as those separated from God (the dead) think of.

I know things started going far better for me when the Lord convinced me to quit listening to secular music.  I can see how one might listen to snippets here and there for melody ideas but as a general rule, secular music is not good for the Christians soul and leads to places Christians should not be in.

Edited by Stan Murff
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stan Murff said:

Well I can't say enough about casting our cares upon the Lord for He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7)... and being careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. (Philippians 4:6-8)

Doing a word study on "care" and "careful" was enlightening for me as I found these are the cares of the world Jesus spoke of in Mark 4:13-20 that the devil uses to choke the Word out of us so we bear no fruit

In this passage Jesus gives us the 5 things the devil uses to choke God's Word out of us... IF we allow these things to enter in, and they are persecution, affliction, cares of this world, lusts of other things, and deceitfulness of riches

Leading to how we should cast down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5)

And that the sorrow of this world brings death which is separation from the Lord ((2 Corinthians 7:10-12, and Romans 8:6-7) so feelings of sadness and sorrow need to be cast out.

No to mention Godly music moves us to acknowledge and think about the Lord and the wonderful things He has done... while worldly music moves us to think about the darkness and sorrow of this world as those separated from God (the dead) think of.

I know things started going far better for me when the Lord convinced me to quit listening to secular music.  I can see how one might listen to snippets here and there for melody ideas but as a general rule, secular music is not good for the Christians soul and leads to places Christians should not be in.

Hey Stan,

I appreciate those verses and thoughts coming my way. You know, some of the best music ever written was written by a person with a broken heart. It's an expectation that believers won't always have sunny carefree days while down here.We can still have peace and joy deep inside. 

I got rid of most of my secular music a long time ago. I liked a lot of bands that were hard rock even though I knew the messages were bad. Since CDs are noiw to be had for a pittance, and since I have a nice CD player in my shop out back I did buy ELO and a few other for nostalgia sake. They were cutting edge so far as the technology and the writing is pretty good. I didn't know what a vocoder was back then but I liked it whatever it was. That type of music just doesn't seem to 'gel' with anything worship. I know. I've tried to shoe horn it and it didn't work, at least for me.

In any case, we hade to go out to buy food for big cookout  here and I've been cutting and trimming grass etc, so once again I was pulled away from my creative endeavors to make this happen tomorrow afternoon. It's now 7pm here and I often get upset that I didn't have more time which only takes away from anything creative, but we'll see. I'll maybe putter here and see if I can come up with something. I know it won't be Micheal W. Smith and it might not evenj be "worship music" what I hope it will be is productive and therapeutic.

I used to really like melodic hard rock / metal bands such as Dokken, Warrant, Whitesnake, Scorpions, Rainbow, Tesla, Triumph, Deep Purple, Foreigner, Europe, etc

David Coverdale and Joey Tempest, Joe Lynn Turner, along with Greg X Voltz are some of my vocal influences.  Gotta learn to hit those high notes ya know! 

Some of these guys had some really good slow songs so maybe do something in this view but with Christian Lyrics.

Joe Lynn Turner sang on Sunstorm's song Edge of Tomorrow which is kinda a cool song although not really a Christians song

Another kool song to check out with Stryper's driummer in the band is Cleanbreak - Coming Home.  Their vocalist has a strong voice and this song is uplifting.

One Christian band you should check out is Affector's album Harmagedon (2012) which has great lyrics

You may have already hear of these guys, but more Christians bands to check out would be Angelica, Balance of Power, Cleanbreak, Deth Enemy, Disciples of God, Edens Realm, German Pascual - A New Beginning, InnerWish, Ken Tamplin and Friends, Shout, King James (with Rex Carrol from Whitcross), Letter Seven, Mastedon (John Elefante vocalist), Millennial Reign, Modest Attraction, Panorama - Around the World, Rage of Angels, Signum Regis, Under Command

*Some of these bands may be considered "white rock" as in not overtly Christians but they don't sing about evil stuff either.

I may be kinda on the sappy side, but I always liked the melodic  rock songs like Stone Cold (Rainbow), Alone Again (Dokken) Is this Love (Whitesnake) when it comes to the slower songs.

It's good to have good lyrics, a good chorus that's catchy and cool music with a nice lead guitar part. Not sure if having a lead guitar part is popular anymore, but back in the day you had to have some good lead guitar work!

Hope you get those creative juices flowing before long.  I heard Blackie Lawless from WASP say once that "we don't copy anyone else's music, we just get inspiration from it"

Edited by Stan Murff
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for those tips. I go the gamut in music. Not locked to any style, and for anyone who tried to listen to me it was probably frustrating.

It's 11pm now and I layed maybe 12 tracks down, mostly acoustic. I just got a new interface with some pretty good inputs on it. Made by Universal Audio it has the 476 compressor built in. I miked a few parts in stereo for the guitars. It has some small timing issues which is pretty common when tracking multiple guitar parts.It sounds kinda like new celtic with some jazz thrown in lol.

I'm probably knocking off of it for now and might not be able to come back to it tomorrow. If I listen to it with fresh ears and I think I can work with it, I'll keep it, or I might pitch it and start over. Even if I like it , I might be the only one :)

I hear ya!  Glad to hear some good stuff is coming out!

Yeah and on the different styles, I do like some pop stuff, easy listening and... don't tell anybody but I even have some country sounding Christian music in my collection like Russ Taff, the Imperials, Jason Crabb...

Let's keep that private!  Ha Ha!  I got hair halfway down my back and us long hairs have a reputation to uphold! :shades_smile:

Edited by Stan Murff
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/31/2023 at 2:17 AM, Willa said:

One of my favorite worship songs is Isaiah 6 by ONE BAD PIG,  a Christian punk rock group.  I never fail to worship to it with tears in my eyes and a little head banging.  

Thought I had made a mistake reading your reply, not Willa ?, so I googled them up, Isaiah 6 by ONE BAD PIG on the tube, with lyrics. Sure enough, Awesome words that I had to read not being able to understand the lead screamer....:unsure:

If the crowd listening receives the light, truth, somehow, then praise God.
(Somehow I never pictured you Willa listening to Christian punk rockers.....
default_cool2.gif.9a0bbf71366b4f9ec512e5956d0ac8d9.gif )
At my age an old fogey and bad hearing,  I prefer Mahalia Jackson singing some gospel like "Take my hand precious Lord"   Slowly, real slowly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYUwO6_lysw

Thanks Willa, opening my eyes for another way to get the good news out.
( I'll bet you like Bart Millard:)  I do.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 9/2/2023 at 9:32 PM, Sower said:

Thought I had made a mistake reading your reply, not Willa ?, so I googled them up, Isaiah 6 by ONE BAD PIG on the tube, with lyrics. Sure enough, Awesome words that I had to read not being able to understand the lead screamer....:unsure:

If the crowd listening receives the light, truth, somehow, then praise God.
(Somehow I never pictured you Willa listening to Christian punk rockers.....
default_cool2.gif.9a0bbf71366b4f9ec512e5956d0ac8d9.gif )
At my age an old fogey and bad hearing,  I prefer Mahalia Jackson singing some gospel like "Take my hand precious Lord"   Slowly, real slowly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYUwO6_lysw

Thanks Willa, opening my eyes for another way to get the good news out.
( I'll bet you like Bart Millard:)  I do.

I do like the song "I Can Only Imagine".  I also have several Mahalia Jackson CDs love her as well.  Phil Keaggy remains a favorite guitarist.  One Bad Pig isn't the best punk music but they are a fun bunch with a serious message--a cop and a street preacher formed it.                                                                       Otherwise I like hard rock and alternative/post punk.  Of secular I like Santana, Rush, Creedence Clearwater Revival and King's X.  

Of Christian I like Whitecross, Bloodgood, Mastedon, , X Sinner, Rez, Siloam, Breakfast With Amy, Mad At the World, and Steve Taylor among many many others.  Kids have been saved just reading Bloodgood's lyrics!

On 9/2/2023 at 7:33 PM, Stan Murff said:

I used to really like melodic hard rock / metal bands

DO CHECK OUT SILOAM AND IDLE CURE  based on this comment.

I love folk music and dances of all nations and the classical romantic period tops much of my listening preferences--from Gershwin to Tchaikovsky, to Khachaturian, Kodaly, Borodin, Prokofiev, Smetana, Rachmaninoff, Litz, Brahms, Lecuona, and Rimsky-Korsakov.   

No concussions as yet from head banging but there isn't much danger of one since I do have to be careful about re-injuring my neck.  Many thanks to you guys for your concern-- I am sure that many out there need to be warned that head and neck injuries are very real dangers of head banging and that deafness will definitely follow listening to loud music.  Not only are my son and I wearing hearing aids but I have had 3 dogs go deaf from my loud music!!! There are few things more pathetic than a dog that can't hear you call him away from danger.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 9/2/2023 at 4:03 PM, Starise said:

Hey Stan,

I appreciate those verses and thoughts coming my way. You know, some of the best music ever written was written by a person with a broken heart. It's an expectation that believers won't always have sunny carefree days while down here.We can still have peace and joy deep inside. 

I have prayed, Lord, I don't want to be in the valley of trials or on a mountain top, I just want to be in the cleft of the Rock!  So snuggle up to Jesus and let  Him hold you in His mighty arms, choosing to stay in that place of safety comfort and healing.  Let the oil of His Spirit flow over you.

• Thumbs Up 2