Who me

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Content Per Day:  4.43
  • Days Won:  0

Right.  Can you imagine if Jesus was charging money for a copy of His sermons written out on scrolls!

Of course a workman is worthy of his hire and back then each scroll had to be written by hand so I'd imagine that there would be some cost involved.

I know Jesus didn't charge money to get in to His meetings like Joey Osteen does as well as some of the other big name ministries.

I dabbled in some of this as a young believer and thought it odd that no rich guy ever came up and handed me a a big check or a bag of money like you hear in some of those testimonies.

I did learn later that if one WORKS as unto the Lord and seeks the Lord's wisdom on how to do good work and how to conduct one's life, He will bless your work so you'll grow and move up.  That worked out great... after about 25 years!

Edited by Stan Murff

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/27/1990

Prosperity gospel is a scam that twists the Bible's words and bankrupts the desperate. It's a gross thing to be sure saddens me to hear it is spreading.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,714
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On the flip side of this premise that  prosperity gospel is a scam are several passages of the Bible that indicate  otherwise. Examples; https://dailyverses.net/giving/nkjv

Of course the intent by God for us is good as God is merciful beyond measure, least He is to me.

That  people can get scammed by other people is not new,  nor is it limited to Christianity being used and abused  by scammers.  Attempts at scamming generous people happens even  on this WCF board almost daily. That said  one should not then use this problem as excuse for being a petty stingy piker themselves.

The Bible (evidently some 25% of it) speaks of money and finances. Perhaps each of us ought to spend 25% of our Bible study time on the overall issue as it pertains to us personally; -And not worry too much about what others give/get, or don't give nor get.

God knows the heart of each  of us. At the end of things of this world it is all going to burn. The riches of and for this existence of the flesh of today won't matter a wit.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  416
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

8 hours ago, Stan Murff said:

My favorite thing to do is give a helping hand financially to someone and do it in such a way that they don't know who gave them the gift!  That way they can only thank the Lord for it.

Great attitude Stan!  I live in a wealthy resort area and huge benefactors donate to the local hospital and to the local musical theater building, etc.  Their names are always prominently displayed for their efforts.  Instead we Christian should remember to be "low profile" in our charitable deeds:  "Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward" (Matthew 6:2).

• Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

It was a good Bible but it just seemed so awful and exploitative that people would try to make a huge profit off of God's Word.

Ever consider why there are 300+ versions and translations of the best-selling Book of all time, and copyrighted? 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Content Per Day:  1.60

The prosperity gospel is a lie of Satan yet somehow many church people follow it. Look at the millions who sit under Copeland, Tilton, Dollar, Hinn, Osteen, etc. These men are great deceivers, yet they have millions of followers. They have multi-million dollar bank accounts while many of their followers barely have $20 to throw in the offering plate. Jesus and the Apostles experienced suffering and told others we would suffer too. Far more believers in church history have lived in poverty than wealth. I don't understand how people can be so deceived when the mountain of evidence screams at us to EXPECT hardship as a follower of Jesus.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  670
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

Well . . . having read the complaints of some of the responders above who hate any kind of prosperity for God's people    . . .  I am astonished.

Certainly there are some tele evangelists and preachers who have motivations to get money for their personal coffers . . . BUT the gospel is not just 'fire insurance' for us to hang on to until the bitter desolate end. It is a package and part (not all) of the package is prosperity in wholeness of life and finances/resources is part of that package.

Label me what you want . . . I serve
"El Shaddai" NOT "El barely get by" 

What would you say IF I prayed for you this way: "May God make you poor, may He not shine upon you, may He keep you destitute and never give you any good things to enjoy, may He withhold from you any monetary blessing so  that you cannot meet you own needs let alone give to others out of your abundance; Keep them broke and unhappy and covetous of those who are prospering and being a blessing to others and furthering the gospel". . . . ?  That would be silly at best, and frankly unkind and unloving so I would never do that to you. Whew!

So, I pray that for all reading this . . . that God would prosper you as much as you can handle, and may He give you wisdom to know how to use your finances, health, and possessions in a Godly manner that will meet your personal needs, bringing you Joy and honor God, and bring glory to Him declaring His goodness and love to the people around you.

Regarding those evangelists whom you hate . . .  well just be careful how you judge God's servants and let Him deal with them, it may not be as you seem to think it should turn out . . . just saying. Maybe you should take a gospel refresher course in Sowing and Reaping, or maybe do some farming which will also teach you those principals . . . . just saying.

I have much more to say regarding my experiences over the last 50 years, but, I have already said enough to get me into trouble here. LOL.

Ray . . . 

• Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Yes, and I see it growing. I Googled 'world's richest pastors' or something like that and was shocked at their return and worth. I tried to discern what all or most of them had in common. I will leave that connection to anyone interested in doing their research.

Before I get to the meat and potatoes of prosperity Gospels, I will interject something, so please bear with me.

Someone correct me if my understanding is not correct. Tithing was an OT ordinance done away with in the new covenant. It would take too long to detail, but the percentage was more than 10%. The main reason was to support the Temple, synagogues, and priests. Praise and honor the Lord for what He has given them, the first and best of what He provided.

My church encourages offerings and tithings to work for the Lord responsibly. Financial stability and income make planning and future project endeavors realized, not to enrich ourselves.

I have heard some claim (i.e., Michael Pearl) that tithing today is a sin, and I would disagree.

2 Corinthians 9:7 (KJV) Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Today, we cheerfully give, but a percentage is not declared. Our hearts, abilities, and motives guide us, comparable to OT times (love offerings).

Under the new covenant, much remains the same. The church building needs maintenance and repair, the bills, expenses, and the pastor need to be paid, the local community and missionaries need support, and most importantly, the Gospel needs to be spread to a lost and dying world.

The preceding was a long way around to address my thoughts on prosperity Gospel preaching. As was mentioned, prosperity Gospel preaching seems to be associated with mega-churches.

2 Timothy 4:3 (KJV) For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears.

I have watched and heard the likes of Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen, and Kenneth Copeland of this word. The more you give to ME, the more God will bless and enrich YOU.

If anyone is unaware, these wolves flaunt their lavish and extravagant lifestyles. They are exploiting society's most vulnerable and desperate for personal gain, financing their extravagance, and it is getting worse during desperate times.

Is it an immoral and grievous sin to exploit the needy in desperate and dire times when they can least afford it? They cannot pay the rent or put food on the table.

Matthew 7:15 (KJV) Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

PROPH´ET, n. [Gr. προφητης; L. propheta; Fr. prophète.]

1. One that foretells future events; a predicter; a foreteller.

2. In Scripture, a person illuminated, inspired or instructed by God to announce future events; as Moses, Elijah, David, Isaiah, &c.

3. An interpreter; one that explains or communicates sentiments. Ex. 7.

4 One who pretends to foretell; an imposter; as a false prophet. Acts 13.[1]

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

13 hours ago, Stan Murff said:

As opposed to the poverty gospel?

Some churches teach that we should be just barely able to get by financially in order to be close to God.

And, even though the Lord's Word does promise financial blessings if one WORKS, we should never believe the Lord would help us any further than just barely getting by.

You don't hear about the the poverty gospel on TV or radio because... well, they believe in poverty ya know.

Both are equally false.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Content Per Day:  4.43

2 hours ago, BibleStudent100 said:

"Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward" (Matthew 6:2).

That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Another thing is that some people that see you going may think you're rich and try to make you their source of supply rather than trusting in the Lord which can be a tumbling block for them.

I'd not want to be a part of that.

• Thumbs Up 1