• Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,440
  • Content Per Day:  8.21
  • Days Won:  0

29 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

A better word used heavily in the Gospel of John,

and the first epistle of John is 'abide';

Absolutely!  Which means fellowship.  We know that sin breaks fellowship with the Lord.  By grace through confession (1 John 1:9) we can restore fellowship.

29 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

Our assurance is not in Grace alone, but in knowing the Truth.

We are saved by grace, through faith.  That is the truth we must know.  Believing Johyn 5:24 and 10:28 is our assurance.  It would seem that those who don't have assurance aren't actually believing all that Jesus said about receiving eternal life (salvation).

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.35
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

1 hour ago, FreeGrace said:

We are saved by grace, through faith.

...and faith cannot be separated from obedience, a truth you refuse to acknowledge...

Romans 1:6 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name...

Romans 16:

25 Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began 

26 but now made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith— 

27 to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.

1 hour ago, FreeGrace said:

We are saved by grace, through faith.  That is the truth we must know.  Believing Johyn 5:24 and 10:28 is our assurance.  It would seem that those who don't have assurance aren't actually believing all that Jesus said about receiving eternal life (salvation).

Believing what about Jesus exactly, so that all may know this assurance...

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

5 hours ago, FreeGrace said:

Then, different from believing/trusting.  OK.  Yes, all believers should definitely "stick with Jesus".

Synonyms of abide:

I think rely upon is one of the best translations of pistos--to believe.  When we trust in Christ we rely upon him not just for faith but for help in all situations of life
  • Interesting! 1

5 hours ago, FreeGrace said:

Absolutely!  Which means fellowship.  We know that sin breaks fellowship with the Lord.  By grace through confession (1 John 1:9) we can restore fellowship.

What does fellowship with the Lord

mean, in terms of abiding?

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Willa said:

Synonyms of abide:

I think rely upon is one of the best translations of pistos--to believe.  When we trust in Christ we rely upon him not just for faith but for help in all situations of life

The objective, to know Him

Philippians 3:

8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

The confession of faith that brings salvation includes belief in the resurrection, does it not? @FreeGrace

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,469
  • Content Per Day:  12.21
  • Days Won:  31

2 hours ago, Willa said:

Synonyms of abide:

Interesting cognates there; a bit like in the Amplified Bible, @Willa..............

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

On 10/4/2023 at 7:13 AM, FreeGrace said:

The Greek word 'elpis' is translated as 'hope' in the NT.  However, it doesn't mean how it is used today.  Today, 'hope' is used for "wishful thinking", as in "I hope I'm going to heaven when I die".  There is no confidence at all, just wishful thinking.

The Greek word means a confident expectation, which is a strong word for assurance.  

So, the "hope of eternal life" is a confident expectation of eternity with God.  

Amen

That HOPE that Remains in Christ is the FAITH we speak of ,the Blessed Assurance we have as we wait with Great Expectations for what we cannot see with our eyes but with the Eyes of Understand

The Faith that brings us God's Saving Grace through our Hope( Faith) in Christ Jesus! The Promise we've HEARD about and Believed God Will Do what He Says He Will Do because He So Loved the world- the Promise Abraham Believed

Indeed,the Blessed Assurancd Giving us Boldness & Confidence to approach the Throne of Grace in Christ Jesus.....Halleluyah!

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  4

11 hours ago, Mr. M said:

...and faith cannot be separated from obedience, a truth you refuse to acknowledge...

To equate the two inserts works into salvation, which is unbiblical.  In fact, the NT is full of verses that encourage believers to be obedient.  If obedience is part of faith, those verses have no meaning.  Believers must grow up spiritually.  That occurs from obedience.  

Romans 1:6 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name...

The bolded words refer to putting one's faith or trust in the Savior. 

Romans 16:

25 Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began 

26 but now made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith— 

27 to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.

Again, "obedience to the faith" is a phrase about putting your faith/trust in the Savior.

Believing what about Jesus exactly, so that all may know this assurance...

Excellent question!  John 5:24 - “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

This verse teaches WHEN a person possesses eternal life; WHEN they believe.

John 10:28 - I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

This verse teaches that believers are given eternal life (Jn 5:24) and shall never perish, meaning they are eternally secure from the MOMENT of faith in Christ.  That's assurance;  believing what Jesus says.

• Praise God! 1

8 hours ago, Willa said:

Synonyms of abide:

Amen!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Mr. M said:

What does fellowship with the Lord

mean, in terms of abiding?

The words refer to the same thing.  Harmony.  Just like husband and wife, since the Bible uses human relationship words to teach spiritual relationships.

When a husband and wife are in harmony, they are in fellowship.  They are abiding together.  But, when one spouse offendes the other, fellowship is lost, they are not abiding together.  There is discord between them.

What offends the Lord?  Sin.  Isa 64:6 - All of us have become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

Since our own morality from our own sinful nature is as offensive as used menstrual rags (literal Hebrew), what is the result of sin?

Psa 68:18 - If I regard iniquity in my heart, The Lord will not hear:

This is broken fellowship, not abiding.  Our prayers aren't being heard.