• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,596
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Just as I was thinking , well USA President Biden is actually awake, cognizant  of what is happening,  and doing a very good job in this immediate aftermath of the attack upon Israel, I read a quote from him, ..."Israel has the right to defend itself and its people, full stop." ....

What on earth is  defending" full stop"? To me "Full Stop" is a ship's pilot or captain, the commander on the bridge, shutting down his vessel, leaving it dead in the water.  

Am I missing something, or is it another Biden misfunction of his brain as he tries to articulate USA support for Israel?

Lord help us, protect our military as it positions itself to engage in hot war. May the military families not have the distraction of our civilian political parties disagreeing about budgets  holding them and their families as financial hostages in the process. May all military families have security of knowing they will be paid on time all the time. May our nation's people  raise up to the need today. Amen

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,144
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

It means that Israel has a right to defend itself, and this isn't up for debate. That's the contextual meaning of this particular idiom.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,407
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

58 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

What on earth is  defending" full stop"? To me "Full Stop" is a ship's pilot or captain, the commander on the bridge, shutting down his vessel, leaving it dead in the water.  

A full stop is another term for the period punctuation mark. It's used similarly to the word "period" as well when used to emphasize a a point.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Just as I was thinking , well USA President Biden is actually awake, cognizant  of what is happening,  and doing a very good job in this immediate aftermath of the attack upon Israel, I read a quote from him, ..."Israel has the right to defend itself and its people, full stop." ....

Hi Neighbour, I just used a comma. Now I've used a full stop. (The predictive algorithm beat me to it. PTL)

full stop
[full stop]

NOUN
BRITISH
  1. a punctuation mark (.) used at the end of a sentence or an abbreviation. North American term period.

1 hour ago, AnOrangeCat said:

A full stop is another term for the period punctuation mark. It's used similarly to the word "period" as well when used to emphasize a a point.

Oh my, he is reading the punctuation instructions. His influencers wanted him to pause and then go on instead he read aloud full stop.

Decades ago I wrote the  script for a Memorial Day service with some 2000 attendees to be present at my employers place of business. Unfortunately the president of the Los Angeles City council did not look at it ahead of time and proceeded to  read aloud every margin note of the speech  prepared for him. 

Did I ever get a grilling over that one!

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

4 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Oh my, he is reading the punctuation instructions. His influencers wanted him to pause and then go on instead he read aloud full stop.

It's commonplace to use "full stop" or "period" as an idiom or figure of speech to express an emphatic point not to be argued against.

e.g. When it comes to sermons preached here in New Zealand, there are to be no Americanisms used, full stop.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

A one-veteran rant:

I could interpret “full stop” another way. I am abandoning an aircraft carrier off the coast of Gaza for Hamas, period. Sound ridiculous or vindictive? Look no further than Afghanistan. Or the billions in cash flown to Iran to support Hamas and Hezbollah. Or,…

This administration is inept, and I cannot visualize how they can become more incompetent nationally or as the world's global police force. I am surprised by the Commander and Cheese's words thus far.

Netanyahu has declared war, and Hezbollah is now joining Hamas. As I posted in another thread, it would not surprise me if this turns into a regional war, a.k.a. Psalm 83 War.

As demonstrated in every war, police action, skirmish, and conflict we have been involved with since WW II. Our nation no longer has the resolve and commitment to see things through to its conclusion. We have had no victories or gained anything, only severe losses, alley mistrust, and embarrassment.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out, historically and prophetically. No doubt, if it does come down to negotiations, what will be the center of the bargaining chip? Land for peace, of course. The decades failed, and God forbidden brokered deal.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  898
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

On 10/9/2023 at 4:01 AM, AnOrangeCat said:

Agreed.  The term "Full stop" is used in UK english.  

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/full-stop

It was top of mind, full stop.  Yeah sure says me. I see and hear now like when Biden's excuse makers starting using Top of Mind as an expression that they are now all in synch using full stop as often as they can. No Joke.

As for me Full Stop rings command to the engine room bring us to dead in the water rapidly, now! 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

That's probably what the teleprompter said. He was supposed to go to the next sentence. Oh well.