IGNORED

Has the 70 Weeks of Daniel prophecy been fulfilled in history ?

R. Hartono

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

On 12/1/2023 at 4:50 PM, Dave Watchman said:

I wonder what the little markings mean beneath the Hebrew letters? Annotations?

Called vowel points. They show how to pronounce the words. The same Hebrew spellings can have different meanings depending on how they are pronounced.

On 12/1/2023 at 4:50 PM, Dave Watchman said:

Were they added after Daniel's original writings, or did Daniel write it that way?

One of the reasons I ask is that Moshe in Israel says the original Hebrew text reads as Seventy Seventy are determined.

Added later. From the memorizations of men who were gifted to accurately memorize long passages of oral readings, men called choyzers.  Common in olden times, when there was no other way to accurately record speeches and readings. I've heard of Hassidic sects that still have choyzers. Original Hebrew had no vowel points.

This passage describes 7 weeks plus 62 weeks plus one week = 70 weeks total. No room there for an additional 70, which the passage never even hints at.

Edited by WilliamL

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/1/2023 at 7:13 PM, R. Hartono said:

Thanks Hartono, I don't know why I didn't check Bible Hub first. It's really my favourite resource I go to first. It gets me to the translations fast and it's easy to navigate.

Bible Gateway is nice, but there's too many frills, or bells and whistles to load up on my screen when I'm in a hurry.

When I have more time to spend I'll also check out Blue letter Bible.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/newton_isaac/prophecies/daniel10.cfm

It's a great free of charge resource, a nice collection of commentaries, but a little trickier to navigate when you don't have a lot of time.

14 hours ago, WilliamL said:

Called vowel points. They show how to pronounce the words. The same Hebrew spellings can have different meanings depending on how they are pronounced.

Added later. From the memorizations of men who were gifted to accurately memorize long passages of oral readings, men called choyzers.  Common in olden times, when there was no other way to accurately record speeches and readings. I've heard of Hassidic sects that still have choyzers. Original Hebrew had no vowel points.

This passage describes 7 weeks plus 62 weeks plus one week = 70 weeks total. No room there for an additional 70, which the passage never even hints at.

Thanks for the reply William, I appreciate it.

I value being able to communicate with you guys in on this forum. I remember talking to you a long time ago, you had the same avatar. I didn't know you were into the Hebrew language. I don't want to ask too many more silly questions, without saying why I'm asking, but if our translations are depending on: "the memorizations of men who were gifted to accurately memorize long passages of oral readings, men called choyzers, did they alter the word because it didn't seem to fit the context of the sentence? Like we've all grew up reading 70 weeks, 70 sevens, or maybe 70 heptads are determined. It doesn't seem to read correctly as Seventy Seventy are determined.

I was reading somewhere they said the Hebrew word for weeks or "sevens" was heptads. Why do you think Daniel wouldn't have used a different word like heptad?

Seventy heptads are determined?

3 hours ago, Dave Watchman said:

Like we've all grew up reading 70 weeks, 70 sevens, or maybe 70 heptads are determined. It doesn't seem to read correctly as Seventy Seventy are determined.

No real difference between heptads and sevens and weeks. All mean, in the context of the passage, a period of seven.

A whole lot of the meaning of the Hebrew language is determined by the context and word order, because Hebrew is a very compact language

On 12/2/2023 at 7:47 PM, WilliamL said:

I think the hint is here. Or there in that enigmatic text. Or the hint is in the way the weeks are split up. Newton thought that was why the weeks were split up as 7 AND 62, not 7 plus 62, or why didn't Daniel just say 69 weeks until Messiah the Prince.

And since there are going to be two visitations of Christ, there's also two sets of 70 weeks that herald His arrival. Both of them based on new commands, to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem, in our more modern times.

Also, if there were two sets of 70 weeks, we would be able to find them by now as we would be living within them.

I'm just reading through your notes, Part 7: Were Verses 26b-27 Fulfilled Historically?, a very thorough job William. You think these: "are found to be well-fulfilled by the events of the 7-year Jewish War of 66/67-73 A.D."

But how is that? Confirming a covenant with many for one seven?

"Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;

Jesus died in the middle of the week on April 7, 30AD. Then He came back for 40 days, and then He ascended back to heaven. What was the "one week" where He confirmed the covenant with many? Who are the many? The people alive in the first century, or the people alive now prior to His next appearance?

If Newton and myself are correct, where the 7 and 62 also have an application to the end time timing of the arrival of Jesus at His second coming, some of these verses must be applicable to the end times, even our times now. Even until the consummation, which is determined,

Is poured out on the desolator.

Peaceful Sabbath.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

21 minutes ago, Dave Watchman said:

I think the hint is here. Or there in that enigmatic text. Or the hint is in the way the weeks are split up. Newton thought that was why the weeks were split up as 7 AND 62, not 7 plus 62, or why didn't Daniel just say 69 weeks until Messiah the Prince.

And since there are going to be two visitations of Christ, there's also two sets of 70 weeks that herald His arrival. Both of them based on new commands, to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem, in our more modern times.

Also, if there were two sets of 70 weeks, we would be able to find them by now as we would be living within them.

I'm just reading through your notes, Part 7: Were Verses 26b-27 Fulfilled Historically?, a very thorough job William. You think these: "are found to be well-fulfilled by the events of the 7-year Jewish War of 66/67-73 A.D."

Jesus died in the middle of the week on April 7, 30AD. Then He came back for 40 days, and then He ascended back to heaven. What was the "one week" where He confirmed the covenant with many? Who are the many? The people alive in the first century, or the people alive now prior to His next appearance?

If Newton and myself are correct, where the 7 and 62 also have an application to the end time timing of the arrival of Jesus at His second coming, some of these verses must be applicable to the end times, even our times now. Even until the consummation, which is determined,

Peaceful Sabbath.

Dave, my two cents…

There is only one 70 weeks of years prophecy that is 490 literal years from 457 BC to 33/34 AD. The other 70 years (70 literal years) represent God’s punishment period in Babylon for disobeying His command to let the land test on the Sabbath year. 

The 490 years were carved up to emphasize what “restorations” would be completed after their return to Jerusalem. The first 7 weeks or 49 literal years is when the physical things would be restored by the Jews - the Temple, the walls and streets, etc. They also were responsible to reinstate the 7 feast days, all the Levitical rituals and ceremonies. For example, the first 49 years is when the first Jubilee cycle was completed (10 Jubilee’s of 49 years each to complete the 4th and final Great Jubilee cycle - which is no coincidence happens to end on the last day of the 70th week of years prophecy, which just happens to be the last week or 7 years of the prophecy. It is during THIS final week when the Messiah would arrive (first day of the last week He was baptized in the Jordan to begin His ministry. This final week is also emphasized as the week the Messiah will fulfill His 6 requirements given to Him by His Father (9:24-27). 

Only the first 7 weeks and the last week are mentioned in Daniel as to what would be accomplished within these two sections. It is also purposefully revealed as to who is the only one capable of fulfilling God’s requirements in this last week. 
This method of presenting the 70 weeks of years for the restoration of all things after their complete destruction by the Babylonians. Every part of the restoration of Jerusalem including the ceremonies, feast days, cycles HAD TO BE COMPLETED BY THE JEWS BEFORE THE ARRIVAL OF THEIR MESSIAH. Symbolically, He represented the final piece of furniture in the Sanctuary- He would restore the Ark of the Covenant. The Messiah would restore the presence of God in the Sanctuary- He is the only one that could fulfill this requirement to restore everything as it was before the destruction. 

As far as the “covenant” mentioned in 9:24-27, this is the New Covenant prophesied by Jeremiah in 31:31-34. However, it is NOT A 7 year covenant, it is the New Covenant the Messiah will confirm DURING the last 7 years of the prophecy. Despite His being cut off in the midst of the last week of Daniel’s 70 weeks of years prophecy, He would fulfill all 6 of His God given mission recorded in 9:24-27. 

Gabriel purposely predicted both the literal time of His arrival in the “restorative “ verses in chapter 9 - There will be 7 and 62 weeks UNTIL THE MESSIAH. Meaning all 69 weeks had to be completed. Then, Gabriel predicts He will be “cut off “ AFTER the 62 weeks have been completed. This prediction is found in one of the “destructive” verses in 9:24-27. 

Also, by presenting all of these events the way they are, it assures there is no gap occurring in these 70 weeks. The last 7 years or the week the Messiah arrived has been intentionally thrown some 2000 years in the future. This was designed by the papacy in the 16th century to counter they were the “little horn” of Daniel 7 and 8. By sending these Messianic prophecies out some 2000 years in the future, they could not be labeled as this little horn of Daniel: they can’t be him because he hasn’t come yet. 

Hi Charlie, Thanks for your note.

I agree with a whole bunch of the things you're saying. Because my view is radical, and still unfolding, I can't really say anything is very wrong with how you have it written out.

I might circle back latter and post more of the empirical style of links that give reason to the ideas I have.

14 hours ago, Charlie744 said:

There is only one 70 weeks of years prophecy that is 490 literal years from 457 BC to 33/34 AD. The other 70 years (70 literal years) represent God’s punishment period in Babylon for disobeying His command to let the land test on the Sabbath year. 

I agree the 70 weeks were: "490 literal years from 457 BC to 33/34 AD. Moshe in Israel speaks to what he calls the mistranslation in verse 24 meaning two sets of 70, but he doesn't think there's two sets of seventy weeks like I do. He thinks the first "70" was the 70 years (70 literal years) that represent God’s punishment period in Babylon for disobeying His command to let the land rest on the Sabbath year. 

When I found the Moshe video I already knew there were two sets of 70 weeks that would predict the coming of the Son of Man. He just kind of got me more excited about it.

The 490 years were carved up to emphasize what “restorations” would be completed after their return to Jerusalem.

I might try to circle back to this latter as I tend to think it's still unfolding.

Notice how it reads: “And after the sixty-two weeks
Messiah shall be cut off,

If the time segments were not split up as they were, this couldn't be differentiated in the way it was.

The second set of the 70 weeks is reversed as a mirror image would be. The 7 weeks is the segment that appears to be preceding Jesus' return now. That's what Newton thought it would be. He thought the 7 weeks pertained primarily to the second coming.

For example, the first 49 years is when the first Jubilee cycle was completed (10 Jubilee’s of 49 years each to complete the 4th and final Great Jubilee cycle - which is no coincidence happens to end on the last day of the 70th week of years prophecy, which just happens to be the last week or 7 years of the prophecy.

I agree you're counting the Jubilee Cycles correctly.

The 50th year then becomes year#1 for the next Jubilee Cycle.

As far as the “covenant” mentioned in 9:24-27, this is the New Covenant prophesied by Jeremiah in 31:31-34. However, it is NOT A 7 year covenant, it is the New Covenant the Messiah will confirm DURING the last 7 years of the prophecy.

I might circle back to this one latter. I agree that the last week was in the first century, 27 AD to 34 AD. But I suspect there's another set of the 70 weeks that we are in right now. And so this makes for a final last 7 years which ends on the last day with Jesus' Return and the consummation, which is determined,

Like how you said: "10 Jubilee’s of 49 years each to complete the 4th and final Great Jubilee cycle - which is no coincidence, there's other ideas where there have been 7 sets of 70 weeks since the Exodus in 1437 BC. In that idea, the set of 70 weeks in Daniel 9 which preceded Messiah's first Visitation, was the third set of 70 weeks since the Exodus.

I remember when I first read this it sounded peculiar for it to be the same as first century verse 26. What was happening after Jesus' Ascension and up to 34 AD which would have been confirming a covenant with many for a week of 7 years?

I think this week is happening now. The "many" are all the people set to be resurrected, and all the people alive right now prior to Christ's Appearance. The covenant must be something more, something bigger than just the Jews.

I'm reading the Adamic Covenant. Not explicitly referred to as a covenant in Genesis, but it is a significant promise that God makes to mankind. It is the first promise of redemption and the first promise of Christ’s coming. God is already giving us hope of a Redeemer. Genesis 3:15 is sometimes referred to as the protevangelium, the first announcement of the gospel in Scripture.

God’s promise to Eve that the seed of the serpent would bruise the heel of the seed of Eve and the seed of Eve would bruise the head of the seed of the serpent, is the foretelling that Satan would wound Christ on the cross, but that Christ would triumph over Satan on that same cross.

I'm still really trying to decide this as I write. What I think now is not the same as 6 months ago.

I think you'll say but Daniel 9 is addressed to specifically to Daniel's People, not the Church.

I'm still working on that.

Also, by presenting all of these events the way they are, it assures there is no gap occurring in these 70 weeks. The last 7 years or the week the Messiah arrived has been intentionally thrown some 2000 years in the future.

I agree that there is no gap in time. The Seventy weeks are time. The time segments making up the 70 weeks are contiguous and continuous. You can't stop time.

But there might be another way where both the historicists, and the futurists, can both be right here.

Peaceful Sabbath.

Edited by Dave Watchman
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dave Watchman said:

Hi Charlie, Thanks for your note.

I agree with a whole bunch of the things you're saying. Because my view is radical, and still unfolding, I can't really say anything is very wrong with how you have it written out.

Thank you for your kind words. 

I might circle back latter and post more of the empirical style of links that give reason to the ideas I have.

I agree the 70 weeks were: "490 literal years from 457 BC to 33/34 AD. Moshe in Israel speaks to what he calls the mistranslation in verse 24 meaning two sets of 70, but he doesn't think there's two sets of seventy weeks like I do. He thinks the first "70" was the 70 years (70 literal years) that represent God’s punishment period in Babylon for disobeying His command to let the land rest on the Sabbath year. 

I have heard there may be some confusion regarding the mentioning of two 70 year prophecies, but they can be found to be completely different. One comes out of Jeremiah and is a punishment prophecy that send Israel INTO Babylon. The Daniel prophecy is given to him in chapter 9 (almost at the completion of those 70 years of punishment), and speak to the OUTGOING of Israel back to Jerusalem. This is the “restorative” prophecy that is 490 years in duration. 

When I found the Moshe video I already knew there were two sets of 70 weeks that would predict the coming of the Son of Man. He just kind of got me more excited about it.

I might try to circle back to this latter as I tend to think it's still unfolding.

Notice how it reads: “And after the sixty-two weeks
Messiah shall be cut off,

If the time segments were not split up as they were, this couldn't be differentiated in the way it was.

I agree with you. God is putting a large green neon sign on this one- He specifically ties everything together yet splits the 490 years into sections to draw attention towards the most important time section - the final week of the 490 years. 

1) the 4th and final Great Jubilee began in 457  BC,

2) the “chazon” vision began in 457 BC,

3) Daniel’s 490 years prophecy began in 457 BC,

4) the completion of the first Jubilee cycle began in 457 BC and completed in 408  BC (49 years) - God showing us the timing for the “restorative” events that can only be fulfilled (obligation) by the Jews - the physical restoration as well as the ceremonial practices,

5) the largest time section is conspicuously left silent (434 literal years) This can also (if one can accept it) be likened to the final comment in 5:31 - and Darius RECEIVED the kingdom being about 62 years old. There was no mention of Darius in Scriptures. He was kept silent until his arrival. He RECEIVED the Kingdom. Parallels to the coming Messiah. But, as you know, the 62 weeks serves to isolate yet connect the two end timed sections of the 7 weeks (49 years) and the final 1 week (7 years). There is no activity in those years but its purpose is to hold or lock those two “restorative” prophetic sections together. 

6) Every part of the restoration of Jerusalem from its complete destruction HAD TO BE COMPLETED BEFORE the coming of the Messiah. He was the last piece of furniture to be restored. He represented the restoration of the Ark of the Covenant. It was the first piece removed from the Sanctuary so Babylon would not obtain it, and it is the last piece to be restored by the coming Messiah on the first day of the 70th week. His mission (9:24) was to complete the restoration and these 7 years would bring to an end the 4th Great Jubilee. There is NO Great Jubilee, or Jubilee or even on a weekly period (6 days and the Sabbath) where there is a “separation” built into them. All of His timed cycles are continuous and consecutive. The ONLY way they can be affected (in a negative way) is by man (Jews) by their disobedience and rejection of His laws and commands. 

7) The Jews fulfilled ALL of their required obligations to restore Jerusalem within the 69 weeks. The Messiah would fulfill His obligations DURING the last week (again, He did not arrive UNTIL the end of the 69th week).  But the ONLY unfulfilled part of the 70 years prophecy belongs to the Jews, not the Messiah. 
When they rejected Him and crucified Him in 3.5 years of the last 7 years, it stopped the counting of the final and 4th Great Jubilee. It is short by those same remaining 3.5 years of the last week. Meaning, THEY must complete them or the Messiah cannot return. 
When He removes the blindness from their eyes at the end times, they will preach the Good News to the world for 3.5 years and then the Messiah. 

The second set of the 70 weeks is reversed as a mirror image would be. The 7 weeks is the segment that appears to be preceding Jesus' return now. That's what Newton thought it would be. He thought the 7 weeks pertained primarily to the second coming.

Yes, as mentioned above, the 70 years the punishment side (destructive), while the 70 weeks of years is the restorative side. 

I agree you're counting the Jubilee Cycles correctly.

The 50th year then becomes year#1 for the next Jubilee Cycle.

I might circle back to this one latter. I agree that the last week was in the first century, 27 AD to 34 AD. But I suspect there's another set of the 70 weeks that we are in right now. And so this makes for a final last 7 years which ends on the last day with Jesus' Return and the consummation, which is determined,

Please consider the above where the 70 weeks (490 literal years) have been fulfilled by both the Jews and the Messiah (their restorative missions) with the exception of the Great Jubilee. 

Like how you said: "10 Jubilee’s of 49 years each to complete the 4th and final Great Jubilee cycle - which is no coincidence, there's other ideas where there have been 7 sets of 70 weeks since the Exodus in 1437 BC. In that idea, the set of 70 weeks in Daniel 9 which preceded Messiah's first Visitation, was the third set of 70 weeks since the Exodus.

Sorry, I am a following you here. I do not see a third 70 years or weeks of years prophecy anywhere in Daniel. I do believe that at least one if not both of the terms found in Daniel, “seal or shut up the prophecies” speak to this. In other words the first time this phrase is used is to tell Daniel to “seal up” the prophecies because they only are meant to be given to the Jews. They were still in Babylon. In chapter 12, I believe it is meant to tell everyone that the  PROPHECIES are completely- Daniel will not be given any further prophecies and THEY are complete.

I remember when I first read this it sounded peculiar for it to be the same as first century verse 26. What was happening after Jesus' Ascension and up to 34 AD which would have been confirming a covenant with many for a week of 7 years?

I believe that 99.9999% of today’s accepted interpretations interpret this to mean this covenant IS FOR A 7 YEAR PERIOD. But it does not say or mean that- it tells us that the New Covenant prophesied in Jeremiah would be CONFIRMED (not a brand new agreement) by the Messiah DURING THE LAST 7 YEARS of the 70 weeks of years prophecy. This was the week God had set aside for the coming of the Messiah so He could fulfill His “restorative” requirements after Babylon. It is the exact same covenant God made with Israel (Moses) at Mt Sinai. That was a perfect covenant  - His 10 Words (10 commandments reflected Him- cannot improve on Him), however, the receipt and delivery method would be significantly improved. Now, He moves that agreement from the external to the internal. His Words move from the tablets to on our hearts. 

I think this week is happening now. The "many" are all the people set to be resurrected, and all the people alive right now prior to Christ's Appearance. The covenant must be something more, something bigger than just the Jews.

The covenant given to Moses and now to ALL should we accept it, IS for the many - no one is excluded- unless we choose to be. 

I'm reading the Adamic Covenant. Not explicitly referred to as a covenant in Genesis, but it is a significant promise that God makes to mankind. It is the first promise of redemption and the first promise of Christ’s coming. God is already giving us hope of a Redeemer. Genesis 3:15 is sometimes referred to as the protevangelium, the first announcement of the gospel in Scripture.

God’s promise to Eve that the seed of the serpent would bruise the heel of the seed of Eve and the seed of Eve would bruise the head of the seed of the serpent, is the foretelling that Satan would wound Christ on the cross, but that Christ would triumph over Satan on that same cross.

Amen!

I'm still really trying to decide this as I write. What I think now is not the same as 6 months ago.

I certainly understand this.. and it will not be any different 6 months or 6 years from now. There is no getting to the bottom of His Word. The more you dig the more you will find. 

I think you'll say but Daniel 9 is addressed to specifically to Daniel's People, not the Church.

Yes, Daniel and the other books of the Scriptures were to the Jews. Gabriel specifically mentioned that in his giving of the prophecies to him. These prophecies pertained to the “restoration of Jerusalem and its (His) people.” 

I'm still working on that.

I agree that there is no gap in time. The Seventy weeks are time. The time segments making up the 70 weeks are contiguous and continuous. You can't stop time.

But there might be another way where both the historicists, and the futurists, can both be right here.

Suggestion ONLY. Do not try to please man. God’s Word is not to be compromised. He gave us His Words. 

Because the Scriptures (especially Daniel) are so difficult to understand, they WILL cause different interpretations- and we have to work them out. But that is completely different that feeling the need to wanting both sides to be content in one’s interpretations. 

They can be both right - depending on what is meant by that. God gave us His prophetic words that are traveling THROUGH the very real 4 kingdoms. But these 4 kingdoms are NOT THE STORY. The STORY is about the coming Messiah and His plan of salvation for THE JEWS. But of course, He knew they would reject Him and thus, His plan of salvation was meant for the “many” - all mankind. 

Peaceful Sabbath.

God bless. 

On 12/8/2023 at 4:21 PM, Dave Watchman said:

Fully explained in parts 1 and 4 in the above blog.

Jesus was "cut off" at the end of the 69th week, and was in heaven by the time of the 70th. That week was fulfilled by "the one coming in," who destroyed Jerusalem and temple.

11 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Fully explained in parts 1 and 4 in the above blog.

Jesus was "cut off" at the end of the 69th week, and was in heaven by the time of the 70th. That week was fulfilled by "the one coming in," who destroyed Jerusalem and temple.

I think the Messiah ARRIVED AFTER the 7 and 62 weeks were completed. God first tells us WHEN He will arrive in the 2 “restorative” verses 9:24-25), and then He tells us when He will be cut off in the 2 “destructive” verses 9:26-27. 

Consequently, He arrives AFTER the 69 weeks are completed - He arrives on the first day of the 70th week (70 does come after 69), when He is baptized in the Jordan. His ministry was set aside for the week of the 70 weeks prophecy to complete His 6 requirements (9:24), but He cut off in the midst of the final week (exactly 3.5 years into the last week). 

If He came after (until the Messiah) AFTER 69 weeks and was cut AFTER the 62 weeks (meaning the first 7 weeks were also completed), then BOTH events took place in the last week. 

He did no come until the 69 weeks were over, and there is no number BETWEEN 69 and 70.