• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

Receiving the Holy Spirit, and indwelling is not the same idea.

Observe the compare and contrast Paul is establishing:

Romans 7:16-20 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me, that is, in my flesh nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

Now,

Romans 8:9-11 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, IF indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. And IF CHRIST is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

This is the conclusion of the matter Paul has been laying out:

The DEMAND for obedience to Christ,

that the Holy Spirit can give life to our mortal bodies.

Romans 6:16-18 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

Hence, Paul states:

Galatians 4:19 My little children, for whom I labor in birth again

until Christ is formed in you.

The obedience of Christ was perfected at the Cross,

in the glorification of the Son of Man.

Hebrews 5:

8 Though He were a Son, yet He learned obedience

by the things which he suffered;

9 And being made perfect, He became the author of eternal

salvation unto all them that obey him;

Edited by Mr. M

• Mr. M changed the title to Receiving The Holy Spirit Is Not The Same As Indwelling
  • 4 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

I believe receiving the Holy Spirit and receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit are the same.

Having said that I would add that receiving the Spirit need not be thought of as a once for all matter.

You can initially receive the Holy Spirit. Then throughout your Christians life open up more

parts of your life to receive Him into more chambers of your psychological heart.

We can open previsouly closed off areas of out soul to receive the Lord into those parts by faith.

Oh, "Now the Lord is the Spirit" (2 Cor, 3:17).

In this way the "indwelling" expands, deepens, and occupies more and more of our inner being.

He makes His home in our hearts through faith. That is as we initially received Him by faith we subsequently

receive Him the same way into more parts of our heart - "through faith". That is faith that the Lord

"That Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith" (Eph. 3:19)  

This is how the Christian initially receive Him and should continue to walk in Him.

"As therefore you have received Christ, Jesus the Lord, walk in Him" (Col. 2:6)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

This subject came up in a Sunday School class one day last month.   Our pastor just happened to be attending our class and when I said I thought that receiving the Spirit would have a person not break his commandments, indwelling would result in not wanting to. The pastor energetically agreed.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

Posted (edited)
On 11/27/2023 at 11:32 AM, Mr. M said:

Observe the compare and contrast Paul is establishing:

Romans 7:16-20 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me, that is, in my flesh nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

Now,

Romans 8:9-11 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, IF indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. And IF CHRIST is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

When the Holy Spirit is "running the house" -oikeo; the way the sinful nature used to be in control.

" it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me."

"But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

It is this "if" that distinguishes receiving the Spirit from the "indwelling", attained by abiding.

1 John 2:24 Therefore let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.

Edited by Mr. M

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,036
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  0

@Mr. M "Receiving The Holy Spirit Is Not The Same As Indwelling"

Instead of scrutinizing every statement, I would like to give my understanding of the matter. I judge the matter to be quite simple, but profound in its workings in the human.

From direct and indirect scriptures, we learn that God made man a Tripartite being. Genesis 2 and 1st Thessalonians 5:23 state clearly that man is made of Body, spirit and soul. Contrary to popular belief, Adam spirit did not die when he sinned. First, it does not say so, Second, a spirit cannot die. Third, dam had not ever eaten of the Tree of Life so how could his spirit die if it did not possess life in the first place? The term "born again", or "born from above", or, "born anew" does not introduce a birth to a dead spirit. It introduces an ADDITIONAL and SECOND birth. Nicodemus understood this in John 3. He asked the Lord if he was to get back into his mother's womb for a second birth - having had one before. Or, if we look at the circumstances surrounding Adam, he was made perfect in his HUMANITY. But to be able to be in the image and likeness of God in behaviour, he needed the divine LIFE of God. This would come from th Tree of Life.

Man, being the Temple of God, is, like the Temple, made of three parts. The body speaks for the Outer Court, the soul speaks for the Holy Place, and the spirit is the Holy of Holies. When a man is born anew, God comes to dwell in HIS HUMAN SPIRIT (Jn.3:6, 4:24). God never leaves this ABODE. If the believer sins and puts God's holiness in danger, God will kill that man like nearly happened in 1st Corinthians 5. Sexual sins are sins INSIDE the body and can defile the spirit. the gospel of John is dedicated to getting the Spirit of God and His Nature INTO a man (Jn.20:30-31).

But the fall of man seriously polluted the man's BODY (Gen.6:3) and the soul is warred on by the flesh to comply with its illegal desires. The result is Genesis 6:5. The thought process and the will are parts of the SOUL. When a man becomes born again, a war starts between the spirit and the body (Gal.4:29, 5:17). The Spirit of God in our human spirit makes demands. The flesh screams its demands. The soul is caight in the middle. The young Christian usually panders to the flesh so he/she seems to be losing the battle. But, as maturuty sets in with a certain amount of suffering and chastisement, the mature Christian starts to win. The TRANSFORMATION of the soul is a long painful business. Key ingredients in this process is self -denial and fiery trials.

Now, this ENTRY of God to DWELL in a man occurred on resurrection day when Christ breathed the Holy Spirit INTO His disciples. But the Christian is not only given the LIFE of God INWARDLY, but for his duties which can range from casting out a demon to teaching in the Church, HE NEEDS POWER. So, our Lord's last instructions to the disciples was to wait in Jerusalem for the Spirit to come UPON them for POWER (Lk.24:49, Act.1:8). This Spirit of POWER is OUTWARD. The Greek word "filled with the Spirit" actually means "FURNISHED" with the Spirit. It is this Spirit (the same Holy Spirit) that moved on the waters of a chaotic earth, which was UPON the prophets to inspire them, which was on Baalam's  donkey to make him speak human language. Jesus, having been BORN by the Holy Spirit (Lk.1:35) possessed God's LIFE from conception, but received POWER for ministry after His Water Immersion (Lk.4:14, Act.2:38).

This TWOFOLD giving of the same Holy Spirit generates TWO SETS of scriptures. Theologians like fancy terms. They call the INWARD Spirit the "ESSENTIAL" Spirit because through His INDWELLING your natural ESSENCE is changed. They call the OUTWARD Spirit for POWER the "economical" Spirit. This word comes from the Greek word "oikonomia" which is God's way of dealing with His creature, or His "Economy".

So, truly, a difference is made in scripture between the INWARD IN-DWELLING Holy Spirit and this SAME Spirit when He is your OUTWARD POWER for ministry.