Why Moses and not Abraham?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

Perhaps for the same reason Jesus didn't write any books at all.  Some people live it.  Others who follow write about it.  The followers of Jesus wrote about him in the New Testament only after he was crucified, and risen, and they had received the indwelling Spirit of God, who moved them to write.

John 14:16

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;  Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.  I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Paul never met Jesus in the flesh.  But he wrote more about him than any New Testament author.

The word of God comes from the Spirit of God.  The message belongs to God, and is merely transmitted to us through men.  Moses wrote about creation even though he obviously wasn't there.  But God was.  And the words he gave Moses are the word of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

On 1/3/2024 at 2:53 AM, Charlie744 said:

Why do you think God had Moses write the Torah rather than have Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and perhaps even Joseph write one of the earlier books of the Bible? 

The alphabet was invented in Egypt in around 1800 BC, while the Israelites were enslaved there. Before that there was only picture writing (cuneiforms and hieroglyphs). Picture writing is cumbersome and takes up a lot of space - it's not an appropriate vehicle for recording God's word accurately. Also, it's so complex that very few people could learn it - it wasn't within the reach of ordinary people like Abraham.

I find it truly amazing that the tool needed for recording God's word was invented at just the right time (and the right place) for Moses to make use of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

1 hour ago, Michael37 said:

What do you think @Charlie744?

What do I think of …what?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,975
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Charlie744 said:

What do I think of …what?

When and where the Universe began. Sorry that wasn't clear for you.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,631
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

13 hours ago, debrakay said:

Any thoughts about the Book of Job?  I believe the scholars say this is probably the oldest book in the Bible.  No matter though, God always has a plan and it is always a good one. :amen:

As a side note in response: God used the Account of Job as the first writing within the Bible for me to read, study think about and eventually to pray over as I was turned about to my own saving awareness of Jesus as Lord God and savior through the Holy Spirit. It was for me most appropriate at the time,  - and still is.

I started at Job 11-12 reading 12  and then going back to 11 and finally reading all of Job to proof that God did not exist. Instead God turned me about. God is awesome!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Michael37 said:

When and where the Universe began. Sorry that wasn't clear for you.

Well, this seems to be a slight departure from the topic but a nice one!

It doesn’t matter what my opinion is on this, but what the Scriptures say, or many times what I believe they say.

But this should be an easy one: In the 3rd chapter of Luke he provides the genealogy of Jesus back to Adam. So I will use round numbers to answer this question. If the genealogy amounts to 4000 years, then all you have to do is to add 5 more days.  Therefore, using 2000 years since the Messiah, everything is 6000 years and 5 days old. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.34
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.03
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

On 1/2/2024 at 7:53 PM, Charlie744 said:

Why do you think God had Moses write the Torah rather than have Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and perhaps even Joseph write one of the earlier books of the Bible? 

Moses led the Congregation of Israel from out of Egypt, and prepared them to live as a Holy Nation in that land promised to Abram.

Numbers 12:

6 Then He said,

Hear now My words:
If there is a prophet among you,
I, the Lord, make Myself known to him in a vision;
I speak to him in a dream.
7 Not so with My servant Moses;
He is faithful in all My house.

8 I speak with him face to face,
Even plainly, and not in dark sayings;
And he sees the form of the Lord.

A House that did not exist in Abrams time.

Psalm 77:20 You led Your people like a flock
By the hand of Moses and Aaron.

The standard formula for the Law and its function:

Deuteronomy 4:1 Now, O Israel, listen to the statutes and the judgments which I teach you to observe, that you may live, and go in and possess the land which the Lord God of your fathers is giving you.

Samuel would later serve with distinction,

and ushered in the age of kings in Israel.

Psalm 99:6 Moses and Aaron were among His priests,
And Samuel was among those who called upon His name;
They called upon the Lord, and He answered them.

That this would have been premature

in being given to Abraham is evident.

Genesis 15:13 Then He said to Abram: Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years. 

It would have been a different Torah indeed to govern a nation of slaves. This is found ironically, in the New Testament.

Colossians 3:

22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eye service, as men-pleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;

23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Abram was not just a founder of the nation Israel, he is the father of many nations, by promise and an oath. The father of faith and a friend of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,507
  • Content Per Day:  12.21
  • Days Won:  31

19 hours ago, debrakay said:

Any thoughts about the Book of Job?  I believe the scholars say this is probably the oldest book in the Bible.  No matter though, God always has a plan and it is always a good one. :amen:

Hi @debrakay It's interesting that although Job is not mentioned in Hebrews 11 - a list of prominent Old Testament saints - yet in a sense Job exemplifies what Hebrews 11.6 says: "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." ............. (interesting?)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

10 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

The alphabet was invented in Egypt in around 1800 BC, while the Israelites were enslaved there. Before that there was only picture writing (cuneiforms and hieroglyphs). Picture writing is cumbersome and takes up a lot of space - it's not an appropriate vehicle for recording God's word accurately. Also, it's so complex that very few people could learn it - it wasn't within the reach of ordinary people like Abraham.

I find it truly amazing that the tool needed for recording God's word was invented at just the right time (and the right place) for Moses to make use of it.

Aah that makes sense!

I was thinking that he was forced to learn all that stuff, being raised by pharao's daughter.

4 minutes ago, Renskedejonge said:

Aah that makes sense!

I was thinking that he was forced to learn all that stuff, being raised by pharao's daughter.

Apparently, Moses went up to the top of Mt Sinai to install a cellular tower. Came back down but no service. Went back up and God told him to just write down on these rocks what I tell you. 

I can’t remember where this is the Scriptures, but I am sure I read it.