Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,491
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I am studying Matthew, beginning chapter 25, the Ten Virgins, and an odd question popped into my head. The question applies to other out-of-the-way places and circumstances, and let us assume it is in the heat of summertime.

It is now dusk for the ten women to trim and light their oil lamps. I assume they will not flick their Bic or strike a match. From where or from what did they light their lamps?

For that matter, assuming summertime, not wanting to heat the inside of your sleeping quarters to 120 degrees, you would not maintain a fire. To restart their fire, how would you suppose they did it, friction, flint, and steel, and what about in the rain and wet?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

Simple: The took chewing gum wrappers and a 9 volt battery, and started a fire with those .. . .  Hummm . . . maybe not. Bad joke.

I have just assumed that the lamps were already burning when they started their watching for the bridegroom. Otherwise, how could 5 lamps go out if they were not lit ?

The problem is not that they could not light their lamps, the problem was that the lamps were empty (burned out of oil) and not burning at the time of the bridegrooms arrival.

My 2 cents . . . Ray . . . 

Edited by Ray12614
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,491
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

1 hour ago, Ray12614 said:

Simple: The took chewing gum wrappers and a 9 volt battery, and started a fire with those .. . .  Hummm . . . maybe not. Bad joke.

I have just assumed that the lamps were already burning when they started their watching for the bridegroom. Otherwise, how could 5 lamps go out if they were not lit ?

The problem is not that they could not light their lamps, the problem was that the lamps were empty (burned out of oil) and not burning at the time of the bridegrooms arrival.

My 2 cents . . . Ray . . . 

The question is, by what means did they light their lamps? They had to get or produce fire to light the lamps. They did not have a globe surrounding the light, a sudden breeze would extinguish it. 

LAMP.jpg

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,042
  • Content Per Day:  1.61

2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I am studying Matthew, beginning chapter 25, the Ten Virgins, and an odd question popped into my head. The question applies to other out-of-the-way places and circumstances, and let us assume it is in the heat of summertime.

It is now dusk for the ten women to trim and light their oil lamps. I assume they will not flick their Bic or strike a match. From where or from what did they light their lamps?

For that matter, assuming summertime, not wanting to heat the inside of your sleeping quarters to 120 degrees, you would not maintain a fire. To restart their fire, how would you suppose they did it, friction, flint, and steel, and what about in the rain and wet?

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that ancient lamps and biblical times used olive oil for their fuel. The initial spark I believe came from Flint but there may have been another method as well.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.77

2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Matches.

FWIW, since fire was an essential for cooking and lighting there would undoubtedly have a been a fire, or glowing coals, present at all times where housing was also present.  Stone and flint or steel and flint would have been used to start an initial fire while travelling.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

Matt 25:

The Parable of the Ten Virgins
25 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6 “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’

7 “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’

9 “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’

The wise were trimming  their lamp wicks and topping them up with oil, that implies the lamps had been burning all the time they were waiting.

How did they light a lamp?  Most likely with a light from a fire or some other flame,  otherwise with a flint, steel and tinder.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,982
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

7 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Here's what I found on the Net?

In ancient times, a tinderbox was an essential tool for kindling fires. Let’s delve into its fascinating history:

1. Components of a Tinderbox:

• A tinderbox was typically a container made of wood or metal. Inside, it held three crucial components:
      • Flint: A hard stone that could be chipped to create a sharp edge.
      • Firesteel: A piece of carbon steel, often shaped like a ‘D’ or an oval ring, used for striking.
      • Tinder: This included materials like charcloth (fabric charred via pyrolysis), rotten wood, and amadou (fungus steeped in potassium nitrate).
    • The box also sometimes contained sulfur-tipped matches.
  2. Creating Fire:

• To start a fire, the flint was vigorously struck against the firesteel, creating sparks.
    • These sparks fell onto the tinder arranged at the bottom of the box.
    • The glow from the charcloth, with gentle blowing, would ignite a sulfur-tipped wooden splint.
    • The splint could then be used to light a candle, often placed in a holder on top of the box.
  3. Portable Tinderboxes:

• When away from home, people carried small pocket tinderboxes.
    • Some even had a burning glass (a magnifying lens) in the lid to light the tinder directly from the sun’s rays.
  4. Historical Significance:

• Flint and iron pyrites were used in prehistoric Europe to create sparks for firelighting.
    • Ötzi, the natural mummy from around 3350 to 3105 BC, was found with tinder fungus, flint, and pyrite.
    • With the Iron Age, firesteel replaced pyrites.
    • Skillful use of a tinderbox could start a fire in under a minute.
  5. Metaphorical Usage:

• Beyond its practical purpose, the term “tinderbox” now metaphorically refers to something extremely dry or volatile, ready to ignite with the slightest provocation.

So, next time you strike a match or light a candle, remember the humble tinderbox that once played a vital role in kindling fires throughout history! 🔥📦🪶

For more details, you can explore the Wikipedia article on tinderboxes1.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,134
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,982
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

image.png.6781930ed3bfd566299c15882171ae28.png

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.78

8 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Exo 30

8 And when Aaron lighteth the lamps at even, he shall burn incense upon it, a perpetual incense before the LORD throughout your generations.

Incense would be a good way to keep fire around without heating the house/tent. A small piece of cloth would light from the incense that could light a lamp. just my thoughts

• Thumbs Up 1