Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

The bible may seem kind of vague on this subject but I think the scriptures clearly tell us why Cain's offering was not accepted by God.   The bible says Cain brought some of the fruit he had grown but it says of Abel that he brought the 'firstlings' of this flock to God.  The term firstling means Abel had set aside the first and best portion of his flock to God, but it does not say the same for Cain but that he only brought some fruit.

Notice what the scriptures says about how we are to honor God with the first fruits of our increase/wealth:

Honor the LORD with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; [Pro 3:9 NKJV]

The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring into the house of the LORD thy God...[Exo 23:19 KJV]

That thou shalt take of the first of all the fruit of the earth, which thou shalt bring of thy land that the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt put [it] in a basket, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose to place his name there. [Deu 26:2 KJV]

The principle of giving God the first and best portion of our labor is seen though out the scriptures.  Giving God left overs is not an acceptable practice in our service to God.  

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

• Jedi4Yahweh changed the title to Why Cain's offering was rejected by God vs. Abel's offering

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

The bible may seem kind of vague on this subject but I think the scriptures clearly tell us why Cain's offering was not accepted by God.   The bible says Cain brought some of the fruit of that he had grown but it says of Abel that he brought the 'firstlings' of this flock to God.  The term firstling means Abel had set aside the first and best portion of his flock to God, but it does not say the same for Cain but that he only brought some fruit.

Notice what the scriptures says about how we are to honor God with the first fruits of our increase/wealth:

Honor the LORD with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; [Pro 3:9 NKJV]

The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring into the house of the LORD thy God...[Exo 23:19 KJV]

That thou shalt take of the first of all the fruit of the earth, which thou shalt bring of thy land that the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt put [it] in a basket, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose to place his name there. [Deu 26:2 KJV]

The principle of giving God the first and best portion of our labor is seen though out the scriptures.  Giving God left overs is not an acceptable practice in our service to God.  

Abel then, is the first martyr, and a type of Christ the Shepherd, slain by religious rebels.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

The bible may seem kind of vague on this subject but I think the scriptures clearly tell us why Cain's offering was not accepted by God.   The bible says Cain brought some of the fruit he had grown but it says of Abel that he brought the 'firstlings' of this flock to God.  The term firstling means Abel had set aside the first and best portion of his flock to God, but it does not say the same for Cain but that he only brought some fruit.

I agree, and also Cain’s offering came from his “works,” while Abel’s came from a sacrifice of one of his flock - blood sacrifice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Charlie744 said:

I agree, and also Cain’s offering came from his “works,” while Abel’s came from a sacrifice of one of his flock - blood sacrifice. 

I would argue that raising livestock takes just as much work or more than farming fruits and vegetables.

21 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I would argue that raising livestock takes just as much work or more than farming fruits and vegetables.

No argument here, but there must be a blood sacrifice.

I will take a look in Genesis and hopefully be able to comment further… thanks, Charlie 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30

I think the New Testament gives some insight into Cain.  It was more than just fruit vs. livestock.

Hebrews 11:4  "By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, through which he was commended as righteous, God commending him by accepting his gifts. And through his faith, though he died, he still speaks.

1 John 3:12  "We should not be like Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his brother's righteous.

Jude verse 11   "Woe to them! For they walked in the way of Cain and abandoned themselves for the sake of gain to Balaam's error and perished in Korah's rebellion.

In my mind...

The FAITH of Abel came first, so says Hebrews 11:4.  Cain had none.  Cain was evil and of the devil - so says 1 John and Jude.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

54 minutes ago, Charlie744 said:

No argument here, but there must be a blood sacrifice.

I will take a look in Genesis and hopefully be able to comment further… thanks, Charlie 

It sometimes helps to ponder an alternative, in this case, God deciding to prevent Cain from killing Abel by also accepting his offering, but then that opens the door to sin, falling short of righteousness.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

3 hours ago, Michael37 said:

It sometimes helps to ponder an alternative, in this case, God deciding to prevent Cain from killing Abel by also accepting his offering, but then that opens the door to sin, falling short of righteousness.

Cain might of thought he had a leg up in being the firstborn, didn't have to give the same effort as Abel.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I believe there's a heart situation in the gift... when you care for a animal you are naturally attached to it. It is living as it contains blood. It is one thing to chop up a vegetable and quite another a animal you have nurtured... I have never wept over a tomato I sliced, but a pet something much different:
Psalms 51:17 (KJV)

[17] The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

When it costs us- God recognizes His Own cost 'His Only Son'... this drawn to conclusion in Abraham and Issiac with God staying the hand of Abraham and God providing the sacrifice! It has always fell to God to redeem us but it falls to us to understand that price...

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

I believe there's a heart situation in the gift... when you care for a animal you are naturally attached to it. It is living as it contains blood. It is one thing to chop up a vegetable and quite another a animal you have nurtured... I have never wept over a tomato I sliced, but a pet something much different:
Psalms 51:17 (KJV)

[17] The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

When it costs us- God recognizes His Own cost 'His Only Son'... this drawn to conclusion in Abraham and Issiac with God staying the hand of Abraham and God providing the sacrifice! It has always fell to God to redeem us but it falls to us to understand that price...

Abraham had total faith in God. Did Cain somehow lack sufficient faith in God? 

If the offering type was not the basis for God’s disapproval, why was Cain’s offering unacceptable? Later on, both a grain and a blood offering would be acceptable in the Levitical system.

This is a very interesting topic.