Do you love Him like He loves you?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  173
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  0

Reminders – Love means giving yourself to others.

Webster’s dictionary defines a verb as ‘a part of speech that expresses action.’ Our modern use of the word ‘love’ has devolved from a verb of self-less action, into one of selfish desire. What do I mean? Today, the word love is almost always used to express a feeling or emotion such as, ‘I love ice cream’ or ‘I love you.’ Unfortunately, the meaning of love has changed from something good and wholesome, into a flesh satisfying desire, by which the enemy entices us with his worldly “…lusts of the flesh, lusts of the eyes and the pride of life.” 1 John 2:15-16 Relationships that are founded on these carnal desires have little chance of survival. It becomes easy to walk away from situations that no longer feed the flesh. Divorce becomes common and the words ‘I just don’t love you anymore’ become the hallmark of the breakup. Commitment, based on what were supposed to be honorable vows mean nothing, because the partners no longer ‘feel’ in love. But a marriage based on a commitment to serve one another, and a purpose to actively love no matter what, will survive when rough times of ill-health, financial problems, or younger, better-looking alternatives appear.

The Scripture sometimes uses the word love to describe selfish desire. “Woe unto you Pharisees! For you love the uppermost seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets.Luke 11:43 Most often though, Scripture uses the word love to encourage actions that are self-less and impossible to do without divine involvement. “Love your enemies.Luke 6:27 and, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.Mark 12:30-31 and, “For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son...John 3:16 Jesus made His will for us clear when he said, “This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you. Next, He describes how that love is manifested.  Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Then, He tells us how we are to love Him. You are my friends if you do whatever I command you.John 15:12-14 Jesus showed his love by giving His life for others, both in His walk and on the cross, always obeying what His Father told Him to do. Likewise, we show our love to Him, by giving ourselves as a living sacrifice, then obeying whatever He tells us to do. Romans 12:1-2 We could make an application of this truth from James 2:17 by saying, Even so faith, [and love,] if it has not works is dead, being alone.Faith, love, and works, all go hand in hand.

Final Thoughts: 1 Corinthians 13 is referred to in Christian circles as the ‘love’ chapter and is often quoted in marriage ceremonies. The word ‘love’ in that chapter of the old English, King James Bible, is translated as ‘charity.’ I like the use of that word there because it evokes thoughts of action rather than emotion, esteeming the needs of others more important than our own. Philippians 2:3-5 Take a minute to go back and re-read 1 Corinthians 13, focusing on the definition and characteristics of God’s love, and see how your understanding is enlightened. I think you’ll love it.     ph

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  451
  • Content Per Day:  4.70
  • Days Won:  1

I'm incapable of loving the Eternal as he loves me.

Woe, woe is me, for I love myself too much! I can follow the teachings by the power of the Holy Spirit, but I cannot outdo the love given me through the Holy Spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

37 minutes ago, D. Adrien said:

Woe, woe is me, for I love myself too much! I can follow the teachings by the power of the Holy Spirit, but I cannot outdo the love given me through the Holy Spirit.

I feel and agree with you, yet Jesus commanded us to. So this love we are to love Him with is not an emotion, nor even anything we do FOR Him as in good works, but rather dying to self; laying down our lives as He did for us; presenting ourselves as a living sacrifice. And still we fall short...Grace, grace, marvelous grace.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

6 hours ago, PATrobas said:

1 Corinthians 13 is referred to in Christian circles as the ‘love’ chapter and is often quoted in marriage ceremonies. The word ‘love’ in that chapter of the old English, King James Bible, is translated as ‘charity.’ I like the use of that word there because it evokes thoughts of action rather than emotion, esteeming the needs of others more important than our own.

1Co 13:8  Charity never faileth:   Charity; Love = affection or benevolence. Benevolence = doing good or giving aid to others, rather than making profit. Doing the right thing without expecting a return/acknowledgement.  (unseen:)

1 hour ago, D. Adrien said:

I also, Adrien, feel know I have fallen short. So God tells us how to love him.
Bottom line, crystal clear, no if's and's or butt's, simply obey him.

John. 14. [15] If ye love me, keep my commandments. [21] He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.  
Neat stuff...

Thanks Pat/Adrien

• Thumbs Up 2

Very much the truth. God's Commandments define how to love and isn't some kind of emotional love song as depicted by pop culture. Love towards God and then love towards fellow man.

Rom. 7:24-25

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

7 hours ago, D. Adrien said:

Very much the truth. God's Commandments define how to love and isn't some kind of emotional love song as depicted by pop culture. Love towards God and then love towards fellow man.

Rom. 7:24-25

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

Ah, yes, but wait...Romans 8:1!

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,039
  • Content Per Day:  1.62

Loving as Christ loves is literally impossible. Jesus is God so his love is absolutely perfect, but we are fallible imperfect beings who have a hard time with the simplest love. We can do our best, but our very best love still has much room for improvement.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

No I do not nor can I. 1st John 15 I like how one said it.  In this verse Jesus started one of His commandments. Obedience to this commandment will produce joy in any disciple. Jesus called this His commandment, for HE gave it, demonstrated it, and taught how it works. A few days before this He taught that all the Law of and the Prophets could be summed up by the two great  commandments "love... God with all thy heart" and "love thy neighbor as thyself". Love is the sum of both commandments. To love one's neighbor presuppose one's love for God. 

We love "We love, because He first loved us" We love others because they bear His likeness. A preacher said the other day and hes one that gets attacked allot by believers. When ever they come at him, he pictures them precious because they are Gods and He loves them.  Our love for each other cannot go to the extreme that His love did in His redemptive work. But our love can be the same quality as His. We share His love; therefore, we can be patient, kind, without envy, without arrogance, rejoicing in goodness, forbearing, trusting, hopeful and Christlike 1st Cor 13.

3 hours ago, TheBlade said:

But our love can be the same quality as His. We share His love; therefore, we can be patient, kind, without envy, without arrogance, rejoicing in goodness, forbearing, trusting, hopeful and Christlike 1st Cor 13.

This is called bearing fruit of the Holy Spirit! :Ok:

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I always think of Jesus restoring Peter after the resurrection. " Peter, do you AGAPE-love me."  God's love.  Peter replied twice that he PHILEO-loved Jesus.  Brotherly love.  So often my human love falls so short of God's perfect love.   So often I fall on my face before God and ask Him to refill me with His perfect love for the lost, the obnoxious, the ugly, the repulsive.  He died for them too and loves them.

The extent that I love others shows me the extent that I love God. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1