IGNORED

Was Jesus predicting to return within his century?

obedientFool

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

1. Jesus - after explaining events before the end of time .. "So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place"
"This generation", implying that specific generation he was talking to. Note every time "generation" is used refers to generation, not age.
Example: "Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to it."

2. To the high priest at crucifixion trial .. "hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven."

3. To his disciples who were to preach city to city .. "When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes."

4. Paul .. "For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep"

5. James .. "Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh"

6. John .. "Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time" 

7. Peter - to Christians who are alive, implying an active statement to reader in that moment .. "But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer"

8. Romans - to Christians .. "And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand"

9. Jesus - "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom"

10. Jesus - indicating an expectation that these events were close at hand for His audience .. "So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand"

11. Jesus - also indicating an expectation that these events were close at hand for His audience .."And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh"

12. As Jesus sends out the twelve disciples, He instructs them .. "And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand"

12. To believers at that present time .. "Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord’s coming"

13. To Pharisees .. "For I tell you that you will not see Me again until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.61
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, obedientFool said:

"Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to it."

This is an interesting subject to meditate on, maybe particularly for those talking of the signs we are claiming to be seeing today.

But that may be a stretch, so it should be kept to the things we meditate on to gain greater insight and not to be argued over.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,708
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Evidently not, but then I don't know that God had a "century" either.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

How could he be putting time limits on his return when he told us he didn't know.

It seems to me that Jesus split up the things to happen into two groups.  One, the things to happen quickly to those present at the time, and the other group would be at the end.  It seems common logic to me that the 1 generation was to start when we started seeing the things coming together.   That could be when Israel was formed in 1948, or maybe when Jerusalem was retaken in 1967.  Of course, to start putting in loose fitting dates, one must decide how long a generation is.   I was born in 1947, and maybe it is within the life span of those who are my age.  My doctor tells me that though I'm overweight, I might live another 20 years or so when looking at the family history.

That's kind of depressing considering the way the world is going these days.  Not that I necessarily want to die, but heaven or whatever we go to is starting to look pretty good, considering the aches and pains of getting old. 

Am I going to fret about it....   Nope, I'm truly enjoying life even with its aches and pains,428309337_10231500492233938_4257672445572721463_n.jpg.15030ca80eca169b0f0c5b3c314a0a59.jpg.84261f0bd91669ed5a9fb1751c190982.jpg

So here's my take on how to endure to the end if one has the Holy Spirit:::  If I can't stop it, just lay back and enjoy the show...   I might be able to loan folks a spare hammock if they want to join me.

6 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Evidently not, but then I don't know that God had a "century" either.

Century, implying 1 generation

5 hours ago, other one said:

How could he be putting time limits on his return when he told us he didn't know.

It seems to me that Jesus split up the things to happen into two groups.  One, the things to happen quickly to those present at the time, and the other group would be at the end.  It seems common logic to me that the 1 generation was to start when we started seeing the things coming together.   That could be when Israel was formed in 1948, or maybe when Jerusalem was retaken in 1967.  Of course, to start putting in loose fitting dates, one must decide how long a generation is.   I was born in 1947, and maybe it is within the life span of those who are my age.  My doctor tells me that though I'm overweight, I might live another 20 years or so when looking at the family history.

He wasn't putting time limits. As he said, he doesn't know the day nor hour. But he knows the season, which he seemed to imply was within his generation. 
Anytime he refers to generation it's 1 generation (1 persons lifetime). 
Example in Matthew, "Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David".

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,694
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Birthday:  08/07/1941

Luke 21:29-36 Jesus told them a parable: Look at the fig tree, as soon as it buds you can tell that summer is near. In the same way when you see all this happening, you will know that the Kingdom of God is near. Truly, I tell you the present generation will live to see it all. My words will never pass away.

Be on your guard, do not let your minds be dulled by dissipation or worldly cares so that the great Day catches you unawares, for that Day will come upon everyone, the whole world over. Be on the alert, praying at all times for strength to pass safely through all that is coming and to stand in the presence of the Son of Man.   Ref: REB

The present generation - or the generation present: the same thing. When they; those alive to see Judah become a nation again, we will know the end times are upon us.

The fig tree – Israel is the vine, Judah is the fig tree: Isaiah 5:7, Hosea 9:10. The parable of the fig tree applies to the House of Judah, Matthew 21:43. Therefore when Judah starts to bud, that is: becomes a nation again, as they formed the State of Israel in May 1948, then within that generation, [a lifetime of 70 to 80 years] the end times events will commence. Ezekiel 12:25

The great Day – The Day of the Lord’s vengeance and wrath, the multi prophesied judgement/punishment of the nations, an event that will come unexpectedly, sudden and shocking all those who have failed to understand the Lord's plans and purposes. Isaiah 29:5-12, Isaiah 66:15-16, Revelation 6:12-17

That Day will come upon everyone There is no ‘rapture’ at this time, all will go through this judgement. Isaiah 24:1, Psalms 50:1-3, Zephaniah 3:8

Strength to pass safely through – This is often mistranslated as ‘escape all these things’, which is a serious error and is incorrect, as the previous sentence has just stated ‘that Day will come upon everyone’. What the Lord promises, is not a removal from earth – an escape as such, but protection. Psalms 91, Isaiah 43:1-2

The presence of the Son of Man – Jesus called Himself the ‘Son of Man’, when He was present on earth in a human body. This was necessary so as He could become our ‘kinsman Redeemer’. After the great Day of the Lord, when every faithful Christian has gathered in the holy Land, they will stand in His presence when the 144,000 are selected; Revelation 14:1. Then, later at His glorious Return, as King of Kings and Lord of Lords; His Name will be ‘The Word of God’. Revelation 19:13

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

58 minutes ago, obedientFool said:

He wasn't putting time limits. As he said, he doesn't know the day nor hour. But he knows the season, which he seemed to imply was within his generation. 
Anytime he refers to generation it's 1 generation (1 persons lifetime). 
Example in Matthew, "Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David".

One of my old xerox team mates just turned 💯  so we might have a while. 

1 hour ago, Keras said:

Luke 21:29-36 Jesus told them a parable: Look at the fig tree, as soon as it buds you can tell that summer is near. In the same way when you see all this happening, you will know that the Kingdom of God is near. Truly, I tell you the present generation will live to see it all. My words will never pass away.

If I granted this answer, there's still 12 other verses which imply the opposite. It's a fact that Jesus' disciples thought he would return in their time.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,191
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

1 hour ago, obedientFool said:

If I granted this answer, there's still 12 other verses which imply the opposite. It's a fact that Jesus' disciples thought he would return in their time.

But He didn't. Sounds like they thought it would be one event, but He gave 2 answers. First when the temple would be destroyed, in 40 years from then and then that Israel would go all over the world and then in the end wars etc and that He would come back.

And the Bible was also written for us. He wasn't only talking to them.

You will not see Me again until you say blessed He who comes:  He said that to Jerusalem. Whole Jerusalem still has not said that.

Acts 1

Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?”  And He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be [c]witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God. Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? And now you know what is restraining, that he may be revealed in his own time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.
II Thessalonians 2:1‭-‬8 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/2th.2.1-8.NKJV