abbershay

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

In context (Exodus 20:8-11) - which is vitally important, of course - the Jewish Seventh-day Sabbath was given expressly to the nation of Israel, not to the Church of Jesus Christ at all. Why celebrate a keystone of JEWISH doctrine (along with circumcision) when, according to the Apostle Paul, Faith (the Living, all-conquering Messiah-Savior) has come? All Sabbath-keepers must peruse & memorize the Epistle to the Galatians with all due haste.

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

I would just like point out something about the book of Galatians. The book of Galatians is not, as may think, the death knell to Torah observance. "Keeping the law" is not what the book of Galatians is dealing with. The issue was circumcision. Evidently, this problem came about in the Galatian Church prior to the ruling of the Jerusalem council in Acts 15, as it would seem probable that Paul would have reminded them of this ruling had it already existed. It is my personal conviction that the controversy in Galatia might have been the catalyst for the Jerusalem council.

You need to understand what circumcision means to a Jewish person. It is not done to just "keep the law." That is not the point at all. Circumcision of a Gentile is only performed when a Gentile is converting to the religion of the Jewish people. This was true even in Paul's day prior the religion of Judaism. When a Gentile is circumcised by a Rabbi (mohel), he is telling the world that he has now entered into the covenant, and has chosen to physically join the Jewish people. He has "converted," essentially. That is the only reason a Gentile would be ritually circumcised by a Rabbi.

The problem in Galatia was that you had a Judaizing cult telling the Galatians that Jesus was not enough. They were telling them to be circumcised i.e., to become Jews. They were telling them that they had to physically join national Israel by becoming converts to the Jewish religion in addition to believing in Jesus.

Paul never condemned anyone for keeping the Sabbath. He never condemned anyone for keeping kosher, or anything of that nature. He was, himself, a Torah observant Jew until the day of his death. It is important to point out that Jesus NEVER condemned Sabbath observance. What Jesus condemned was the hypocritical way that some of the Pharisees approached Sabbath observance. Contrary to popular Christian thought, observance of Torah is not the antithesis of Christianity. Sabbath observance is not contrary or inconsistent with any values or doctrines of the New Testament.

Actually, if you read the quote from Galations that I point out that Paul is indeed talking about observing days, feasts, new moons. I point you to the 4th chapter of Galations for clarity.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,275
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I have a question to those of you that are requiring sabbath keeping. It is hard to usderstand just where lines are so I ask this question: "Do I have to keep the sabbath as described in the ten commandments to avoid ging to hell?

Sam

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Man cannot make Holy days, only God. When God makes something Holy then it is holy, forever. If He makes it holy for mankind, then it is holy for mankind forever. When God makes sin the transgression of the Law, then sin is transgression of the law forever.

God Bless,

Dennis

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,275
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

so you are saying that if I don't keep the sabbath, I'm going to hell. Right or Wrong????

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

I think he's saying that if you know to do good(i.e. follow a command) and you choose not to do accordingly even though you recognized it was "correct/lawful", then you and God might have a problemo. :rolleyes:

Edited by Remnantrob

Gee whiz, why not simply READ Exodus 20 itself & discover TO WHOM the ten Commandments were given? Check out Exodus 19: 6 and Exodus 20: 2 for starters. The FACT is that nine of the Ten Commandments are REPEATED by the Apostle Paul re the Church of Jesus Christ in his powerful New Testament Epistles; the one that is NOT repeated for the Church of Jesus Christ comprised of both Jew & Gentile....is the Jewish seventh-day Sabbath observance! Only someone regally ensconced in the 19th-century personal deliberations of one, Ellen Gould Harmon White, will seek to impose Mosaic legalism on "set free" believers (Galatians 5:1 - why run from Galatians?) in Jesus the Sovereign Lord of Glory.

Thank you, Lord Jesus for LIBERTY to do as we OUGHT!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

You miss the point, Arthur. If someone wants to keep the Sabbath, it is there perogative. There is no commandment against the Sabbath in the NT, so one is free to do observe that day if he so chooses. I reject the notion that the Sabbath is obligatory, but neither should anyone be disparaged if they choose to keep it.

Salvation is soley based upon Christ and his finished work upon the cross, not upon the day one chooses to observe as a day of rest.

Let the whole church say..........AMEN! :rolleyes:

BTW... quick question shiloh. Are christians obligated to keep sunday holy? I saw another thread in here where a girl was asking whether we're supposed to go to church or not. I know that we're supposed to worship everyday, but are we to keep a day? You obviously know my stance but I'm curious about what you believe. Another question I have is (don't know if this was brought up in this thread already) the fourth commandment says the word remember. I ask this question because I want to know how God requires us to remember something that we didn't already know? Thanks in advance :laugh:

We are not obligated to keep any one day holy. We are obligated to keep ourselves holy and to live each day to the Lord.

The word for remember in the Hebrew, where the appointed times are concerned, carries with it the connotation of looking back and forward. It is similar to the word Zichron or "memorial." The Sabbath, like the other prophecies are a foreshadowing a dress rehearsal for the end times. More to the point, the Sabbath pointed back to Israel' redemption from slavery, and the creation, but it also pointed forward to the coming of the Messiah, the true Sabbath. From our perspective, the Sabbath points back to our redemption from slavery to sin, and points forward to the world to come, the eternal rest of the new heavens and new earth. The Sabbath is an age within a day.

There is no condmenation in keeping the day, if you choose. Whatever you choose, let it be unto the Lord.

thanks for your response. I believe the law was in effect before Sinai and God said to remember because it was something they kept before Sinai and before there were Jews. I'm sure you know the example in 16 where the COI are told to pick up manna twice as much on preparation day for the sabbath. Now I'm not totally convinced it was kept while under the subjection of the Egyptians,(because as slaves you really have no say) but I'm sure before slavery Abraham's seed knew what God's statutes were. Back to exodus though....How do we look at this piece of scripture...

Exodus 16:27 Nevertheless, some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather it, but they found none. 28 Then the LORD said to Moses, "How long will you refuse to keep my commands and my instructions? 29 Bear in mind that the LORD has given you the Sabbath; that is why on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Everyone is to stay where he is on the seventh day; no one is to go out." 30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

The point I want to focus on is the bolded "how long will you". If God had only given them the command the week before, why would our God who is longsuffering just lose patience after the first transgression. I am under the impression that God asks "how long" because it was a continual negligence on the part of his people (before they were Jews/Hebrews). JMO though.

God bless

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,085
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

I appreciate your presentation and I understand the controversy over the phrase

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Peace Sam,

You know that we are not to judge. I judge no one. I share the Scriptures of God. It is the the word of God, including the Moral Law of God that condemns. You are not going to get me to condemn you.

When you have a question, you go to the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit who wrote the Scriptures and ask Him. He is the one who reveals the truth to us. He is more than willing to speak to your conscience.

You see that 'not being under the law' means that we are not under the condemnation of the Law, not that we are not required to keep it.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: (the curse of the Law is death, for the wages of sin is death) for it is written, Cursed (condemned to death) [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

This is why we must be justified or forgiven for our past treangressions when we come to the Lord, to have the curse, or condemnation of death, for past sins removed and receive the promise of Eternal Life for we are now clean from sin and thus not under the curse.

Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law (this is the Moral Law): that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.

Here we see that every mouth and all the world are guilty and under the condemnation of the Law, or 'under the curse of the Law', Jew and Gentile, male and female, bond and free. Jesus brings us out from under this condemnation through justification, the forgiveness of sins that are past. Here we have the justified person, who has come out of condemnation in Romans 8, who has left the life of the flesh for the life of the Spirit:

Rom 8:1 [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Those who follow the Spirit do Spiritual things. Here Paul speaks of the Spiritual character of the Law, but laments His condition when he was in the flesh, before he was filled with the Spirit and lived the life of the Spirit for he knew that he was not supposed to kill, yet he consented to and participated in the killing of the followers of Jesus.

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Praise God that Paul went on to the Romans 8 experience and was enabled to 'not walk in the flesh' and walk in the Spirit. Praise God that he could testify that he had never offended against the law of the Jews at any time. Praise God that he could testify that he kept his conscience void of offense against God.

An interesting question, why was Paul never accused of Sabbath breaking by the Jews who were so zealous of the law? They accused him of everything they could.

God Bless,

Dennis

The Seventh-day Adventist scholar, Samuele Bacchiocchi, came to the conclusion in his research that Pentecost always fell on a Sunday - "The second dating method that could be used today is to reckon the fifty days of Pentecost from the first Sunday after Passover, which means that Pentecost always would fall on a Sunday." ... "At this point in my research I tend to support the reckoning of the fifty days of Pentecost from the first Sunday after Passover" - God's Festivals in Scripture and History

While I appreciate many things that are Biblical and rightly believed by the 7th Day Adventist, I consider their denomination to be polluted with errors and reject their leaders as teachers of the things of God. By no means does that suggest I feel or believe they are not sincere in their beliefs or that there are not true brothers and sisters who presently are entangled in the strong holds of many of their erroneous teachings.

The fact that many people have come to believe Jesus rose at sunrise on Sunday and that Pentecost was Sunday does not in any way give credibility to it. That is like saying the majority has the determining power as to what is the truth of the scriptures.

I'm sure you could have just as easily stated that:

a. I'm not a Seventh-day Adventist therefore this does not apply to me

or

b. I personally do not agree with everything Adventist believe on this suject.

All of the extra is unnecessary since it's definitely not building ppl like myself up...but I digress.

Guest shiloh357
so you are saying that if I don't keep the sabbath, I'm going to hell. Right or Wrong????

I think he's saying that if you know to do good(i.e. follow a command) and you choose not to do accordingly even though you recognized it was "correct/lawful", then you and God might have a problemo. :emot-highfive:

That is not really answering the question. Sam asked a very simple straightforward question. Do you believe that Sabbath observance is necessary to avoid hell? Do you believe Sabbath observance necessary for Savlation, YES OR NO?????? Just answer the question and stop dancing around it. All we need is answer one way or the other....