• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

'Megachurches' draw big crowds

CHICAGO (Reuters) - On a recent Sunday at Willow Creek Community Church, a Christian rock band joined by dancing children powered up in the cavernous main hall, their images ablaze on several gigantic screens.

Thousands of worshipers from the main floor to the balcony and mezzanine levels were on their feet rocking to a powerful sound system. Outside cars filled a parking lot fit for a

shopping mall. Inside some people drifted into small Bible study groups or a bookstore and Internet cafe for lattes, cappuccinos and seats by a fireplace.

Continued...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

To paraphrase Tozer, There is no end to the American's fascination with entertainment. I actually attended Rick Warren's "church" and walked out half way through their "service." I saw heard loads of music and saw lots of moving and shuffling, but I cannot say for sure if I felt the Spirit. For people that like to go to church to just sit like a spiritual lump, I guess the mega churches are good. But no where in the Bible do I see Peter or Paul encouraging believers to "seek out" a church that "meets their needs." I've only been a Christian for 2 years, but as I have studied the Bible and church history it seems to me the church not about us at all, but rather it's all about G-d.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

:huh:

All it talks about is how it can help members and make huge productions.....nothing about the potential to serve the community.....granted, most of these churches, in order to bring in the big donors, have moved into rich communities that no longer need service and far, far away from the downtown scum of the earth........(that was sarcasm)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

SJ, that might fit into one of these:

"Anything they put their minds to, they can pretty much do," he said, marveling at the power inherent in size. But he added, "Willow Creek has the resources to effectively execute on multiple facets of church life," through more than 100 different ministries.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I really hope this isn't becoming another anti-mega-church thread. I attend a church of around 7000 and I can assure you it is very much a Bible-believing, Christ-focused church.

Incidentally, I could have chosen to attend Willow Creek as I live just about ten miles from it. I understand that they are having a few issues with certain ministries (like singles), but I'm told their Wednesday/Thursday night services (their "meat" services- weekends are "milk" services) are very good ones though I cannot testify first-hand, nor for their outreach ministries.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

I love big concerts.

Its a treat for someone like me who was raised with a shovel and straw hat.

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

I am trying very hard not to have an opinion about mega-churches because the one I attended for a couple of years hurt a lot of people very badly. They were even telling married couples, from the pulpit, how to behave behind their bedroom doors, in a most inappropriate, invasive and graphic way. They ruled and reigned over the congregation, often shouting AT us, telling us what we can and cannot do. If you were to try to become involved in the church ministries, God help you... But, as I said, this was just MY experience at ONE mega-church.

One issue that concerns me about churches - mega or not - but especially with mega-sized ones, is the way that praise and worship services are turned into concerts, with the singers turning into performers. Worshiping God doesn't seem to be the focus as much as it is geared towards the singer(s)/group/band. Much of the audience... er, I mean congregation, act like fans at a music concert.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

Show me a small one room church at the end of a dirt road and I can probably show you a bunch of good 'ole home grown Christian folk who love the Lord with all of their hearts. :noidea:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/28/1977

I suppose I can see both sides of this topic.

The mega churches do seem to be very commercial and I think they have to be very careful to remain a place of worship instead of becoming a place of business. They need to remember that they are offering ministry, not services. I do like the idea of having "milk" services and "meat" services so you can attend the same church and still be challenged to keep growing.

On the other hand, our little church just can't offer the types of ministry that the people need. I love the people in our church, but they are mostly retired. I wish there were more people my age who are in the same place in life that I am. We lose most of the young families because we don't have enough youth to have any youth programs. Only without the youth programs we are never going to have the youth.....

I guess there is a place for each type of church. Besides, I don't think you can judge a church based on size. There are good and bad in either type of church. I guess I'm drawn to a church based on the people who go there. If Spirit filled people are pouring out of the church doors then they must be doing something right.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/27/1953

Show me a small one room church at the end of a dirt road and I can probably show you a bunch of good 'ole home grown Christian folk who love the Lord with all of their hearts. :noidea:

Way to go and AMEN. I attend a very small country church and you will never find anyone who loves the Lord more, or has a Jesus heart more than these people. They are the most compassionate, caring, loving people I have ever met in my life. They are truly country folks who live in simplicity and love the Lord with all they have. God definitely lives here. :blink: