Navy Chaplain on hunger strike to protest not

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

Lieutenant Gordon James Klingenschmitt , a former Major in the Airforce who took a paycut and demotion to become a chaplain in the Navy, has been on a hunger strike for 18 days now. It seems that his C.O has told him he is not to pray "in Jesus' name". The Navy has stripped him of his uniform. Lieutenant Klingenschmitt has vowed that he will take his hunger strike to the end - death - unless the Navy gives him back his uniform and allows him to use the name of Jesus in his prayers. He said that he has even offered to use the name of Jesus in his prayers every fourth day - taking turns with the other chaplains of other faiths who can use the name of their deity in their prayers - but was told "no".

You can read the story here: Read the story here

(Despite erroneous reports to the contrary, Lieutenant Klingenschmitt is NOT on a hunger strike until President Bush signs an executive order regarding this. But President Bush has been aware of the situation for three months now, and has knowledge of the 70+ Congressmen/women who support Klingenschmitt and a petition signed by 173,000 Americans also supporting Klingenschmitt. President Bush has said "there is not yet enough public outcry over the issue". )

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

The ACLJ has the petition to try and encourage the President to move on this issue. They need 200,000 currently they are at 198,000+ and they need to take the petition before the President on Monday. The petition is basically just asking to give the rights back to all Chaplains to use the name of their God in prayer or in worship. If you have not yet signed up to support this you can go to their web site and do this. I did post their tole free number here someplace but I am not sure which forum I put it under. Time is of the essence.

Love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David.

Here's the link to sign the petition: Sign petition here

Thanks for the info, Rebekah.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,196
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Lieutenant Gordon James Klingenschmitt , a former Major in the Airforce who took a paycut and demotion to become a chaplain in the Navy, has been on a hunger strike for 18 days now. It seems that his C.O has told him he is not to pray "in Jesus' name". The Navy has stripped him of his uniform. Lieutenant Klingenschmitt has vowed that he will take his hunger strike to the end - death - unless the Navy gives him back his uniform and allows him to use the name of Jesus in his prayers. He said that he has even offered to use the name of Jesus in his prayers every fourth day - taking turns with the other chaplains of other faiths who can use the name of their deity in their prayers - but was told "no".

You can read the story here: Read the story here

(Despite erroneous reports to the contrary, Lieutenant Klingenschmitt is NOT on a hunger strike until President Bush signs an executive order regarding this. But President Bush has been aware of the situation for three months now, and has knowledge of the 70+ Congressmen/women who support Klingenschmitt and a petition signed by 173,000 Americans also supporting Klingenschmitt. President Bush has said "there is not yet enough public outcry over the issue". )

An interesting quote from a christian president. Does it take a great public outcry to make one follow his own beliefs.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

You mean you don't want the president to have the support of the people in this? :P

Actually, in order for him to do anything that will be effective, he needs public support in this. There will be a lot of resistance in Congress and the Judicial branch against this, you know.

Does it take a great public outcry to make one follow his own beliefs.

I thought the exact same thing, Other one.

If you have to wait for what the polls say first to make sure your beliefs are popular, then I'm beginning to think I've been wrong and Christians really need to stay out of the filth of politics.

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

Most of the bases I have ever been to had a generic "protistant" church and a Catholic Church. The Protistant churches seemed to me to be preaching a generic message which, at the time, did nothing to sway my opinion of "organised religion". In the time that I cried out for freedom from my sinful nature the only light in my life surely had to have been the Holy Spirit. It does seem, however, that there are many, if not the majority, that need someone to guide or intorduce them to their savior Jesus. Sadly, by restricting or prohibiting the use of Jesus name, they effectivly delay or prevent some peoples salvation. Its likely that all these things that stir us are meant to happen and even to call us to action for his names sake.