• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.wftv.com/news/6253589/detail.html

Woman Becomes Quadruple Amputee After Giving Birth

POSTED: 5:59 pm EST January 19, 2006

UPDATED: 6:40 pm EST January 19, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Sanford mother says she will never be able to hold her newborn because an Orlando hospital performed a life-altering surgery and, she claims, the hospital refuses to explain why they left her as a multiple amputee.The woman filed a complaint against Orlando Regional Healthcare Systems, she said, because they won't tell her exactly what happened. The hospital maintains the woman wants to know information that would violate other patients' rights.Claudia Mejia gave birth eight and a half months ago at Orlando Regional South Seminole. She was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center in Orlando where her arms and legs were amputated. She was told she had streptococcus, a flesh eating bacteria, and toxic shock syndrome, but no further explanation was given.The hospital, in a letter, wrote that if she wanted to find out exactly what happened, she would have to sue them.

"I want to know what happened. I went to deliver my baby and I came out like this," Mejia said.Mejia said after she gave birth to Mathew last spring, she was kept in the hospital with complications. Twelve days after giving birth at Orlando Regional South Seminole hospital, she was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center where she became a quadruple amputee. Now she can not care for or hold her baby."Yeah, I want to pick him up. He wants me to pick him up. I can't. I want to, but I can't," she said. "Woke up from surgery and I had no arms and no legs. No one told me anything. My arms and legs were just gone."Her 7-year-old son, Jorge, asks his mother over and over what happened to her. Neither she nor her husband has the answer."I love her, so I'll always stick with her and take it a day at a time myself," said her husband, Tim Edwards.The couple wants to know how she caught streptococcus, during labor or after. She doesn't know. She knows she didn't leave the hospital the same."And why, I want to know why this happened," she said.Her attorney, Judy Hyman wrote ORHS a letter saying, according to the Florida statute, "The Patients Right To Know About Adverse Medical Incidents Act," the hospital must give her the records."When the statute is named 'Patients Right To Know,' I don't know how it could be clearer," Hyman said.The hospital's lawyers wrote back, "Ms. Mejia's request may require legal resolution." In other words, according to their interpretation of the law, Mejia has to sue them to get information about herself.That's the sticking point, the interpretation of the Patients Right To Know act, a constitutional amendment Florida voters passed a little more than a year ago.Mejia's other attorney, E. Clay Parker, said the hospital is not following the law"We were forced to file this and ask a judge to interpret the constitutional amendment and do right," Parker said.Mejia hopes the right thing is done. She said not knowing exactly why it happened is unbearable. She only hopes she'll be able to soon answer her little boy's question, 'What happened?'"He told me everyday, 'What happened,' and I don't have any answers for that," she said.ORMC said Mejia is requesting information on if there were other patients or someone on her floor with the streptococcus. They said, if they release that to her, that would be a violation of other patients' rights.

ummm..... wow

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/07/1980

sounds pretty shady, I can get all my medical information if I want, what is different with her?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Because they messed up and know it.

All patients have the right to their medical information, even with the new regulations in place.

This woman needs a lawyer, and to contact Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). They certify hospitals for medicare money. All hospitals are scared of JCAHO inspections. (Ive been through a couple of them. Each hospital has them every 2 years.) Without JCAHO accreditation, hospitals end up closing due to not being able to accept any government health care plans.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

sounds like a bit hoaky to me.....

don't you think this would have made national news??????

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  363
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

sounds like a bit hoaky to me.....

don't you think this would have made national news??????

I thought so too. But if you follow the link given, I think it's a true story. Aweful, but true.

in Him;

corey

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Well, you can look on Snopes to see if it's an urban legend, but given my experience with hospitals and care facilities, it is EASILY BELIEVABLE.

My wife's sister died very suddenly 2 days after 'stomach stapling' surgery, and ony 9 hours after being told by the M. D(eities). that she was doing so well, they were going to let her go home a day early. As my in-laws (who are retirees on a non-too-generous income) kept looking into it, things just didn't add up, and they couldn't get through the hospital's stonewalling. Finally they retained an attorney who would work 'pro bono' and filed suit JUST TO TRY TO GET THE INFORMATION. Amazingly the hospital 'lost ALL the records'---so at least the bill went away too.......... "Hey; no charge, if you'll just stop looking into it!" We still don't know what happened to Donna.

My mother was in a highly-reputed convalescent center in Phoenix after surgery, when her other children who live locally began to notice something was wrong. As it turns out, she had fallen during physical therapy (the physical therapist even heard the loud 'pop' as her femur broke--but was forbidden to give this info to any physicians outside that particular care facility), and rather than x-ray her after the stumble, they put her to bed, and because she screamed in agony every time they tried to turn her, they stopped turning her, and developed what 2 doctors we brought in called the 'worst case' of bed sores they had ever seen, which led to her death. In an astonishing coincidence this "highly-reputed" facility has also somehow 'lost all the records.' Fortunately one of her grandsons is an attorney in a VERY prestigious law firm, and although he couldn't take the case himself, he recommended a real 'bull-dog' buddy of his from law school, and he's not letting them get away with this old hospital equivalent of "The Dog Ate My Homework....."

But unless you absolutely DOG these health care facilities, you are liable to get poor treatment even at the finest facilities.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

How do you (accidently) amputate 4 limbs?? And the amputee doesn't seem hysterical or outraged enough to fit the magnitude of the "accident". She says "I knew I didn't leave the hospital the same"?? :emot-hug:

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

I went in for a muscle biopsy a couple years back (4 years ago actually ) and when i was getting preped for surg, the doc asked at least twice which leg the biopsy was to be done on, i told him the right quad. are you sure he asked... I affirmed it..... he then verified the information with the surg order from the nuerologist, and then came in again and reconfirmed it and then took out a marker and marked the right quad, and also a small note as to what was being done.

not only did the doc do this, but also the surg nurse and the anestiesiologist and a couple of the techs....

guess what..... the got the correct leg, and the correct procedure..... hmmmm

maybe the doctors need to realize they are not God.... i know i have run into a few that they acted as thou they were....

mike