mixing meat with dairy...and kosher food

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I've heard every messianic version of this scripture. Although the milk/meat thing is not scripture and the oral law should never be seen as authorative... we should at least give the sages of Judaism a chance as they were wise men, just as we would give Matthew Henry a chance in the christian world. The Jewish people have studied scriptures and have made very wise comments and much study and also very... escuse me for the comment....stupid comments (like Rivka or Rebecca was three years old when feeding Isaacs herd of camels water ).

Here is the rabbinic interpretation to why they believe it is meat-milk seperation...

Torah promotes always not mixing life and death together. It was considered, for instance, unclean for a Levite to step into a cemetery. It is considered unclean to touch a dead carcus that wasn't slaughtered right. Et al...

Meat represents death. Milk represents a life giving substance given to the baby.

The basis of the interpretation is

"Don't mix life and death together."

This parallels the verse from Deuteronomy 28 "uvcharta b'chaiim" ..." you have the choice, life and death, choose life."

You may disagree or agree with this interpretation, maybe its speculation, but so is every other messianic interpretation (pagan roots of kid in moms milk, not humane, not killing a baby and only eating grown animals, I even heard a messianic interpretation that it is a rule for Shavuot). In other words, there are lots of interpretations to choose from when weighing the facts of this scripture, in your study, do not rule out altogher with pride the interpretation of the sages as they were wise in some extents.

You have to at least admit that the rabbinic interpretation is just interesting. The rabis were just men, true, but so are you. They were capable of the same exegetical steps that you are today and are capable of the same exegetical revelations and fallacies that you are today as well. You do have something they do not have, the Holy Spirit, but hey, I have seen some awesome revelation come from the Orthodox world that I could only admit that it has to be divine and Spirit-led revelation.

For instance, we once heard a rabi teach about the scripture "Build me a temple and I will dwell among you." talk about the "among you" in Hebrew is "bitucham"...his interpretation is that God wants to live inside of us and this is his heart for us to be his temple as well. It shocked us to hear a rabi say this wise revelation from the Spirit.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Don't get me wrong now... when you preach the gospel to the Jewish people, one of the biggest strongholds to overcome and biggest blocks for them to receive the gospel is the "Oral Law." Once you can get them to see this is not authorative (there are scriptures in Deuteronomy that show this).... then basically all you have is the Tanach. Once you come to them eye to eye from the Tanach without the oral torah... only Yeshua can be Messiah. Even with the oral torah, which I believe is futile to argue with, a case can be show that Yeshua is Messiah--- but this is only for the very educated. For the simple person... the biggest witness you can show is to show love, the power of God, and proof the oral Torah is not authorotative.

Although dont show pride like you know more than the oral torah... respect it... some of it is very wise and there are people who wrote it who spent most of their life dissecting verses most christians dont even think about..... just say it may be wise... but not authoratative.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Don't get me wrong now... when you preach the gospel to the Jewish people, one of the biggest strongholds to overcome and biggest blocks for them to receive the gospel is the "Oral Law." Once you can get them to see this is not authorative (there are scriptures in Deuteronomy that show this).... then basically all you have is the Tanach. Once you come to them eye to eye from the Tanach without the oral torah... only Yeshua can be Messiah. Even with the oral torah, which I believe is futile to argue with, a case can be show that Yeshua is Messiah--- but this is only for the very educated. For the simple person... the biggest witness you can show is to show love, the power of God, and proof the oral Torah is not authorotative.

Although dont show pride like you know more than the oral torah... respect it... some of it is very wise and there are people who wrote it who spent most of their life dissecting verses most christians dont even think about..... just say it may be wise... but not authoratative.

Hi Jewish heart,

I don't mean to be offensive, but in my experience most of the Jews I have known in the US no very little about the oral law or the torah, most are totally secular, usually agnostic, with a kind of hazy knowledge of Kosher they got from their parents or grandparents. I don't know what is going on in Israel or the rest of the world for the Jewish people though. I obviously am not referring to Orthodox Jews, but just most of the people of Jewish descent one meets in the US. So I am not sure for the average non-religious Jew that would be the biggest obstacle or not?

Peace.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  190
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  11/15/1978

Speaking of this, I heard that at the Holy Land Experience that they serve ham and turkey sandwiches there. Usually, in my experience, where this is ham, there is milk. If this is true, it's a really bad way to outreach to the Jewish Community.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

I'm not Jewish, but I eat kosher because it's the healthiest thing for our bodies. :th_praying:

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Well, I don't want to open up a can of worms, but.....I think health was a part of it. I've read lots of things about nutritional studies that, when put together, show that the foods God said to eat are some of the healthiest He made, and the ones He said to avoid aren't so healthy. Of course, I don't take a legalistic viewpoint on it either. I don't think it's a sin if someone has a little shrimp cocktail every now and then......but our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. I think we should try our best to take care of them...... :o

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/30/1984

Shalom!

:Shiloh:

"As to the second question. The Torah commands the children of Israel not to mix linen and wool. I do not know the reason behind that commandment."

Some sources view this in a basic way. Have you ever tried to combine wool and linen fabrics? Wool shrinks when washed and hung, and will pull away from linen. Linen represents commonness in a way in scripture, and even today in Jewish custom rich and poor are buried in linen to represent both are equal in status in the eyes of G-d. But the symbolism I have heard many times, is that the pulling away of the wool represents the seperation of mankind from G-d through disobedience and "shrinking" away.

Personally I don't think it's biblically authoritive, just pretty nifty concept.

:sheya:

Deu 22:6 If a bird's nest chance to be before thee in the way in any tree, or on the ground, whether they be young ones, or eggs, and the dam sitting upon the young, or upon the eggs, thou shalt not take the dam with the young:

Deu 22:7 But thou shalt in any wise let the dam go, and take the young to thee; that it may be well with thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days.

You're partially correct, though I only quoted the scripture you gave. It is more about "complete death" than "animal cruelty awareness". What do you suppose a nation would do to the local wildlife if they were to systematically kill both the young and the parents of a species at the same time? Would not whole species be wiped out?

In today's culture, there is much against Abortion, and some Jewish perspectives come from that very Law. In Jewish tradition, it is Lawful to kill the child if it places the mother's life in danger. Why is this? Well I just told you a few lines up. :P

:billielovesdarrin:

"but our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. I think we should try our best to take care of them...... "

I think you may take this a liiiitttle out of context. The message isn't that "we're a box that you can throw G-d into" but rather the more emphasised message is "we are totally, completely the L-rd's". When Paul was writing this, he was writing to people that were familiar with the "temple" culture. Temples were built EXCLUSIVELY for their diety. No one else had a claim on it, not even the State which funded it's building. This is the message that Paul was trying to get across, "You are totally and completely the L-rd's. You are not your own." etc. etc. But yes, on a smaaaaaller emphasis we do hold the Holy Spirit inside ;) (that is if you think he wasn't in everything to begin with... which is philosophically unsound... cause isn't he OMNIPRESENT? Lol)

:jewishheart:

"Don't get me wrong now... when you preach the gospel to the Jewish people, one of the biggest strongholds to overcome and biggest blocks for them to receive the gospel is the "Oral Law." Once you can get them to see this is not authorative (there are scriptures in Deuteronomy that show this).... then basically all you have is the Tanach. Once you come to them eye to eye from the Tanach without the oral torah... only Yeshua can be Messiah. Even with the oral torah, which I believe is futile to argue with, a case can be show that Yeshua is Messiah--- but this is only for the very educated. For the simple person... the biggest witness you can show is to show love, the power of God, and proof the oral Torah is not authorotative.

Although dont show pride like you know more than the oral torah... respect it... some of it is very wise and there are people who wrote it who spent most of their life dissecting verses most christians dont even think about..... just say it may be wise... but not authoratative."

So very true :o

Oops ADD hitting.

SHALOM!!!!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

As I was reading in Genesis lately, I noticed something.

Gen 18:1 And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;

Gen 18:2 And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,

Gen 18:3 And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:

Gen 18:4 Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:

Gen 18:5 And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.

Gen 18:6 And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.

Gen 18:7 And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetcht a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a young man; and he hasted to dress it.

Gen 18:8
And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.

Now, as the passage continues to unfold, we see that these three visitors whom Abraham is entertaining are in fact the LORD and two angels. Notice that Abraham serves them a meal containing both milk and beef (the calf), and they eat it.

Of course, this is some 400 years before the Law of Moses is given. But I find it interesting that the LORD does not object to a meal with both meat and dairy in it together.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Oh goody, 'cause I love my roasted chicken with milk gravy and biscuits! :)

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I always thought that boiling a kid in it's mother's milk was kinda like a genetic abomination.