worship and my youth group

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

So last nights topic was worship, different types of worship, and what worship we like best. Okay soto lead you into our conversation in small group I have to tell you how my youth group is ran. At 6:30 we start, the band lays 3 songs, David prays, David preaches, David prays again, we are dismissed to small groups. Okay, so you see we run on a schedule. Well one night a few months ago we changed it up BIG time. We eahc found someone we had never prayed with, and prayed with them quietly before we did anything. My prayer partner and I got into it while in another room, I didnt even feel like leaving that room. Anyways, after that david taught, we went to small groups, and came back in for worship. This wasnt on a schedule. So One Way (our band) played as God led them to lead. There must have been 60 youth in there, all raising there hands, on their knees, holding each other, praying, sobbing, etc. God led that worship service, and we got out of there at 10:00. We had parents complain that that was too late to get home. And others complaining that we looked pentecostal, believe me being baptist your lucky to clap on sunday mornings, well my mom was like "so what. God is moving in there, we should all worship like that" I mean we had the adults standing outside crying. It was led by God that night. Well since we had parents complain we are back on the schedule thing. So last night Mrs. Karen was asking what we prefered and I said "Well, I prefer praise and worship. But I do not like having it led on a timed schedule. It takes the meaning out of it. I mean its like you worship because you have to. We aren't being led by God anymore, its just something we do" well that got everyone talking about "that night" well Mrs. Michelle got crying and said she felt sorry we look back on that night as an event and we should feel that way every wednesday night. And we should, but we don't simply because its on a timed schedule and its just something we do, you know? I wish we could talk David and Kristin into letting us do it like it was that one night. I feel ba dthat the parents stopped us from worshipping open heartedly. I know my mom came and got me out of the service, you want to make me mad you pull me out of that atmosphere while I am fully into it bawling, praying, raising my hands, and kneeling at the alter. But now its like structured and heck, no one even feels led to raise there hands, and if they do I think they are afraid to because of what others think. In my church on Sundays I would love to be abl to go to the alter, raise my hands, clap my hands, without getting dirty looks from the elders. I was pentecostal and this baptist worship is totally different. Anyone have any thoughts, advice, etc?

Guest KimTK-E1966

Dear cutiepie,

It's a shame that adults in church are so set in their ways that they keep the Holy Spirit from moving as He would like. It is so beautiful that young people are so hungry for God & His Presence! I would encourage you to pray for those in leadership over you - your pastor, youth leader, parents - for God to open their eyes & hearts to His moving. Change comes from prayer and the heart changing. In the meantime, you guys worship God with all your might everytime you come together regardless of the timeframe given to do it. The Lord loves your worship & praise no matter how long or short. It's all for Him! Don't deprive Him of your love because you don't feel the conditions aren't just to your liking. Let Him make the heart changes. You just pray & keep worshipping!

Kim

Edited by KimTK-E1966

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/10/1984

Have a special youth praise service friday nights. My old youth group used to do that. If someone has to go, they are free to...most will be able to stay later and thus you avoid the problem.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

At our youth group we have worship nights... we live in So Cal, so many nights are held on the patio around one of those portable fireplace things, sometimes it's indoors, sometimes it's at the beach. We open with prayer- we have a box for prayer requests that we will pray for and then any prayers brought up that night. Then we worship- whether it's with the band on stage or a guitar on the beach. Having it by firelight or indoors with the lights dimmed is nice because then nobody is "in the spotlight." Why not have your own worship night? It could be the same night but after your group, or another night... and you could establish the schedule of the night as having no schedule :whistling:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

The Lord totally wants to move in all our meetings, we can keep our agenda or his agenda. He's a gentlemen-he'll stay away if you want him too. Isn't that sad. He wants to, but some don't allow him.

Wake up shepherds- you are responsible for leading the sheep. Who asked the sheep to lead the shepherd=man thats backwards. Are you worried about loosing their money-let em go- you need Jesus!!

In your situation: pray for revival; that this youth group would experience the move of God so strongly that it would flow into the main sanctuary and out into your community over your city and the state you live in-think big-pray big. For where the spirit of the Lord is their is Liberty!!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  145
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/12/1957

hi cutie pie

i recently went to a shane and shane concert at a baptist

church. though it was loud i feel the youth that were in that

concert really came there to worship, they raised their hand to

God, i was glad my teens were there to experience that feeling.

i say pray that God will send the Holy Spirit to saturate your meetings

just keep your eyes on God and your heart in the right place and the Lord

will be there.

in Christ,

carolyn