• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/20/1950

Oh No Melon said,

Why have infant baptism? What is it's purpose? I have always understood baptism to be an outward sign of repentance, but infants are not able to repent. They are blameless before God.

All have original sin and must be born-again through baptism. (Jn 3:5)

I believe we must first be sealed with the blood of Christ

How is this done?

before we are baptized with water, that salvation and baptism

go hand-in-hand (John 19:34)and both are personal decisions we each must make.

Infants are baptized because of their parents faith.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Matthew 18:6 If anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

I thought I would repost this verse again, because I would point out in case you have forgotten one thing.

When Jesus was answering His disciples, He stood one of the children in their midst, so it is obvious, as from other verses, that there was more than one child there. Now those children were pressing forward to get closer to Jesus. They could touch, see and here Him so naturally they believed in Him.. which is a far cry from the infants spoken of in this thread, who haven't a clue who and what you are talking about.

Now, as has been pointed out in thread by others, infant baptism didn't start until after Christ's death and was instituted by man and was a practise, recommended, by several of the church fathers, but in no way was it mandated as a prerequisite to salvation, which as we all know can only be gained through grace, by faith after repentance. so please tell me, someone, how a toddler can repent before baptism. I am not descrying or denying it's existence, just trying to find the point in it, because the way I understand the word, if that child grows into a man and dies unrepentant of his sinful nature he will surely perish. according to Jesus in Luke,13:1-6. His infant baptism wont cover his carnal life as an adult or at least until he's old enough to understand his need to repent as every one should.

Hope this makes sense,

eric.