IGNORED

Context Confusion

Guest J. Stewart

Guest J. Stewart

Context Confusion

I am a member of a congregation of Christians that have been said to "read the Bible differently" from many different "denominations"* today.

I would have to agree with them; I do read the Bible differently from many in the world today. I try to avoid what I call "context confusion". This is when someone pulls a scripture and begins to attempt to interpret it. Many belief systems today are based on this practice thereby making a mess of God's divinely inspired word.

(2 Tim. 3:16) -- All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

Here is an example of what I mean.

Argument: Baptism is not necessary for immediate salvation.

Verses used to back up this concept: John 3:16, Acts 16:31

In the verses listed above, some would argue that this is proof that belief is the only necessary action for salvation (a.k.a.: accepting Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior).

I however, beg to differ. Why? Because both of the verses are taken out of context to make a point that the Bible as a whole does not agree with.

In it's context, the verse in Acts is referring to the instance of the Phillipian jailer and if you will read down two more verses, you will see that the jailer and all his family were immediately baptized (verse 33). If belief in Christ was all they needed to do, then why were they immediately baptized?

The context of John 3:16 is even more simple! By reading verses 1-4 you will discover who Jesus is talking to, and then in verse 5 Jesus says "unless one is born of water and the Spirit (baptism) he cannot enter the kingdom of God".

In both of these verses it is clear that belief is not the only step necessary for salvation, but merely the first step.

To avoid falling into the context confusion that so many have erringly done today, I encourage you to follow the example of the Christians at Berea, who in Acts 17:11 "searched the scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so."

In Christian love, Jen Stewart

*(we are, btw, not a denomination, anyone wishing to discuss this point, please message me!)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I agree that context is very important in interpreting Scripture, especially if doctrines are built on them and you are ministering them to people whose lives can be altered by your interpretation. I think that sometimes in your personal walk with God, a single verse can inspire you in a particular situation and that's also OK.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Baptismal regeneration is heretical. We are saved by grace through Christ and His finished work alone. Check credible commentaries for Jn. 3. The water does not refer to Christian baptism (came after His resurrection and the birth of the Church in Acts 2). There are other possible interpretations. Baptism is a normative expression of visible faith. It is an act of discipleship and witness, not a condition of salvation. Sects and cults end up proof texting passages. You would do well to rightly handle the Word, including context.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

Context is not the only determining factor in interpretation. Original language and audience also play a vital role. If you put equal weight on this, then you would drop the believe that baptism is part of our salvation...there is nothing in the Bible that indicates this, especially if we look at it within the Greek context.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

Context Confusion

I am a member of a congregation of Christians that have been said to "read the Bible differently" from many different "denominations"* today.

I generally don't message people I dont know, so I wanted to just ask you here....what congregation are you referring to?

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Context is not the only determining factor in interpretation. Original language and audience also play a vital role. If you put equal weight on this, then you would drop the believe that baptism is part of our salvation...there is nothing in the Bible that indicates this, especially if we look at it within the Greek context.

Even a Baptist can agree on that..."It can never mean what it never meant"

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Rom 10:1-17

10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)

7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

If you make Jesus your Lord (which makes you His servant) and confess so with your mouth, and believe that the Father raised Him from the dead " You Shall Be Saved"

It is sort of hard for me to see how one could twist scripture and say that there was anything else one must do.

Be baptised, If Jesus is your Lord and you His servant.... then yes you should be baptised..... not for salvation, but because he told us to. This scripture in Romans is pretty clear about what it takes....... I do think that too many people just try the believe part and overall that just doesn't work for me....... saved peple get baptised, but baptism is not what saves a person. Romans pretty much says so.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

I'll ride in your bus, Sam. I for one do not associate the water in Jn.3:5 as referring to the baptismal water. Jesus is mentioned, figuratively as water in many passages of scripture, right from Genisis when Mose tapped on the rock and water proceeded from out of it., when He was speaking to the woman ay the well. I even think He made reference when He remaked in Mk.9:41 about giving some a cup of water in My name. And in the book Of John where He mentions streams of living water flowing from you and a few more. Types and shadows of Jesus.....maybe?

Anyway it gives me something to think about.

eric

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

Dear J Stewart,

Jesus said to the man on the cross next to Him, that you will be with me in paradise TODAY. That man could not do the first step in obedience and go get baptised. But, that did not prevent him from seeing Jesus in paradise, did it?

Also those people that went to baptise their entire family did that as obedience to Christ after they came to put faith in Him as their Lord and Savoiur.

Now, a person who truly is born again will WANT to go get baptised in obedience to Christ, they wil also want to do good works, out of Love for so great a Saviour.

We do good works beacause it is the direct result of being born again in Christ. But, we don't say other than you must ask Jesus into your heart, because that is where it all STARTS. Other things come later.

God made it that we have salvation in Christ alone, not by our works so that NO MAN may boast.

That is pretty clear really. We always point to God reconcilling the world unto Himself in Christ, to wit that God was in Christ reconcilling the world unto Himself.

Alway I bow to my father in heaven and know and thank Him for what He did for me that I could be saved. It's all about Him, all about Jesus.

Jesus said, ye search the scriptures because ye think that ye have salvation in them, but ,they are they which witness of ME, yet you won't come to me.

We do search scriptures. But, always we know it is all about Jesus ,not waht we do. That is humility, that is in no way saying you go one sinning, because that is not what is taught. We are filled in the Holy Spirit who is able to keep us from habitual sins and comfort and teach us. One continues all their life to grow in Christ.

There is no qualifying for a FREE GIFT in Christ of salvation, escept to acknowledge Christ.

Then we do follow him. I we don't then we would be like the one where the seed(of faith) fell on a rock and did not take root.

Anyone who is born again into Christ Jesus will want to go be baptised in the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. They will follow Christ. The ywill not preach themselves to others. But ,Christ crucified for our sins and rien in the flesh as HE said He would do.

Take care,

elkie

• Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

I'll ride in your bus, Sam. I for one do not associate the water in Jn.3:5 as referring to the baptismal water. Jesus is mentioned, figuratively as water in many passages of scripture, right from Genisis when Mose tapped on the rock and water proceeded from out of it., when He was speaking to the woman ay the well. I even think He made reference when He remaked in Mk.9:41 about giving some a cup of water in My name. And in the book Of John where He mentions streams of living water flowing from you and a few more. Types and shadows of Jesus.....maybe?

Anyway it gives me something to think about.

eric

Right Mr. eric. I don't have time to look it up right now, but if I remember right, the Greek word used for water in the John 3 verse is most often used to describe childbirth.