IGNORED

Do Christians need to be patriotic in order to be godly?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

In a lot of people's minds one needs to be patriotic as a part of who they are as Christians. We hear the phrase "God and Country" a lot. Most sanctuaries have an American Flag posted and this Sunday there will be the singing of patriotic hymns. Is this too close a connection between faith and patriotism? Are some people convinced they are synonymus? Is there anything wrong with a ministry built mostly on activism?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,041
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

In a lot of people's minds one needs to be patriotic as a part of who they are as Christians. We hear the phrase "God and Country" a lot. Most sanctuaries have an American Flag posted and this Sunday there will be the singing of patriotic hymns. Is this too close a connection between faith and patriotism? Are some people convinced they are synonymus? Is there anything wrong with a ministry built mostly on activism?

Now this should be an interesting thread . . .

• Heb 11:15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
    16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I think it is a great question.

Looking at the Second Psalm makes me wonder. Although I do think part of Christian service is service to our country and its well being. The trick of course is that we all have different views about how to do that.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

thats an easy question... no! John 17:15-16 clerly states that if we are to be like God or Jesus, we are to be like him and become and remain no part of the world... sharing in none of the worlds affairs... something to think about... did Jesus or any of his followers in his day hold or even attempt to hold position in government or preach patriotism? whats more, can any form of patriotism be found in the bible where it is accepted or considered righteous?

Edited by Ancient of Days

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

i had a reply all framed out and ready, but when i reread it, i found it contradicted itself, and i discovered i really don't know. i will have to think about this for a while and get back to you. i don't think you have to be patriotic to be Godly, but God does tell us to subject ourselves to authority. hmmmmmmmmm!!!!?????????

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

James 4:4 states friendship with the world is enmity with God...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

A great question. My mother was born in Kent England, My farher was born in Victoria Australia. They both migrated to NZ and I was born here. I am glad I was born and live here, but I'm no flag waver. Everyone thinks they live in the greatest country in the world, but when all said and done we are only passing through. I don't owe this country anything, I owe it all to God.

e

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

If Israel is God's chosen people, then I would assume that patriotism could conflict with the Christian walk because you would then be saying your allegiance is not with God. Is America greater than Israel? Is Canada better than Israel? I personally don't see much that's great about any country. My allegiance is with God and the body of Christ is where my loyalty is, not some geographical location where I reside. Patriotism is akin to pride IMHO. :24:

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Hey, Geri, coming from you, that's a masterpiece. I like your style. :24:

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I don't think we should be crazy nationalists, but I think a certain level of personal involvement in our countries is usually a good thing...for instance, a healthy (not overblown) concern with the politics in our respective countries is good, and does affect our lives as Christians and voters, but when we start to get divided Christian against Christian over who is Republican/Democratic or Liberal/Conservative/NDP/Whatever and veil our hurtful arguments in the guise of patriotism, then it becomes unhealthy. Also, if you appreciate the country you live in, give thanks to God for it, since He made it! I think we should find enjoyment in such things.

Our real citizenship is heavenly.

But we still live here on earth, in our countries.