• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

No. It won't work, but I guess we're going to have to learn that hard lesson again. And this time with all the horrors of 21st century weaponry brought to bear!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The other day, I saw a bumper sticker on a car that proclaimed:

"APPEASEMENT IS NOT THE ANSWER"

I practically jumped up and down for joy, "Yes! Thank-you!!"

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

YO, thanks for posting that,Dave. Some people have short memories. Good reading.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

Appeasement has never been the best choice, while at times may be the easiest, it is ultimately a sign of weakness rather than a compromise. In the end, they who gave in to demands will in the future see more demands made. It's the nature of the beast. Greed is an appetite that can never be satiated and, like a drug addict, will return to the places it had previously had success in meeting its needs. Think of appeasement in regards to a game of chess. A compromise would result in both players sacrificing one of their pieces. Appeasement would be when one side simply removed one of their pieces to buy a time-out, lets use 15 minutes as an example, after which the game must continue. It's nothing more than giving the school bully your lunch money so that he won't beat you up. The only way to end this brand of intimidation is to stand up to it no matter what the circumstances. Once the bully understands you are no longer easy prey, he will then move on to someone easier to bully.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Blair's been trying to appease Bush for the past 6 years, and he's got nothing back in return.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

Blair's been trying to appease Bush for the past 6 years, and he's got nothing back in return.

Do you actually believe that Bush and his administration have been twisting his or Englands arm? I find that a bit hard to believe considering the risks that Blair has taken. I seems to me that Blair believes in what he and the Bush administration are doing and is doing and had done everything willingly. Under those circumstances nothing he has done should be considered appeasement since he is not being coerced or intimidated. If however he were being strong armed, bullied or intimidated to do so then one might be able to say that he was trying to appease Bush.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Do you actually believe that Bush and his administration have been twisting his or Englands arm? I find that a bit hard to believe considering the risks that Blair has taken. I seems to me that Blair believes in what he and the Bush administration are doing and is doing and had done everything willingly. Under those circumstances nothing he has done should be considered appeasement since he is not being coerced or intimidated. If however he were being strong armed, bullied or intimidated to do so then one might be able to say that he was trying to appease Bush.

Firstly it's Britain rather than just England. Secondly, Blair has stuck close to9 Bush in the hope thaat he could have leverage on general policy in the Middle East in particular a settlement between Palestine and Israel in which Blair would be seen as a big player, this clearly hasn't happened. Instead Britain was roped into the crass invasion of Iraq, that has infact further destabalised the Middle East and indeed the whole world. Blair as a result is unpopular at home particularly in his own party and will soon leave office a washed up politician.