IGNORED

Existance of God: Our imagination?

Guest Holy Christian

Guest Holy Christian

Well, I've become disgusted with all forms of religion. It would appear that everyone is either out to convert everybody else, or to make money. And so I began to think. Is God a figment of our imagination? An imaginary failsafe we rely on because of instinctual fears that cause us worry, pain, or anything related? Do we all truly want to believe that some form of ourselves live on for all eternity. Was god a ploy of Ancient man to keep people in order (That failed miserably at that).

If we look at scientific evidence; The big bang, fossils, any sort carbon based dating that reaches older then the bible. We find that everything accustoms, and is adjusted to the laws of Nature, Physics, and Science. If that is so, why isn't God? Everything in the world is forced to comply. Does this mean that the magical mystery man does not have to? The more and more I think of it, the more and more convinced I get that God is just a figment of peoples imagination. To be used when in fear and Sundays. And forgotten the rest of the time.

I felt the need to ask this board the question, because every other time that I have asked someone else of the Christian faith. I have been kicked out of chat rooms, told off in person. And simply brushed off as a non-believer, blasphemer, or with the response "God-Exists". I'll be looking forward to your replies.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Oh, honey, :) people are who you're dissappointed in, and rightly so, because people will always fail you. It's in our fallen human nature, even Christians.

God is real. I'm wondering if you've had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? See, I know He's real, because I have a relationship with Him. He speaks to me, and He shows me things. I've had these kinds of thoughts, too. Am I just imagining these things? I know where these thoughts come from, though. They come from the enemy. When I have these thoughts, I take the time to remind myself of the awesome experiences I've had with the Lord, then speak out loud that those thoughts are lies.

Think about this: every civilization that ever existed worshipped something. Why do you think this is? We have an innate desire to worship something. God's placed that there.

There's no eveidence of the "big bang". If someone's told you that, they're lying.

I remember this anecdote that was told to me some months back. There was an experiment done using carbon dating. It was done on a piece of crab shell. The numbers came back that the shell was something like 6,000 years old. Well, come to find out, the crab was still alive!

God isn't subject to the laws of science because He created them. He's above them. He isn't a predictable God we can put in a box, or "under a microscope", so to speak.

It's so sad to think of people "using" God in when in fear and on Sundays. God is a Father, out Heavenly Father, and what He wants most of all is relationship with us. He wants us to be His children. He wants to love us and be loved by us.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Let's talk about Faith for a minute and not Religion. God despises Religion too. :)

There was a time when the Israelites who God delivered from Egypt finally crossed into the Promised land. They spent 40 years in the Wilderness having a relationship with God. Learning to rely upon Him. Seeing Him act in their lives. Simply because how they found themselves delivered had nothing to do with anything they could have done anyway.

So as they finally cross the Jordan and into the Promise.

The Lord commands them to have a represenative of each Tribe to reach down into the River basin which they are now crossing over dry on . Grab a Rock and bring it to the other side. With which they built an altar of sorts.

Jos

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Hi HC,

If God is a figment of my imagination then so is the Bible, and so is the world, because what I find in the Bible tells me exactly what I find in the world. For these to be in such complete agreement, they are either both objective reality, or both subjective delusion.

Now, if they are both subjective delusion, we need not continue, because I already do enough talking to myself as it is! But if they are both real, well, that's a different sort of proposition. Because a book has to have an author. And the Author of this book had to know thousands of years in advance what was going to happen, what the world would be like, and so on, when no one else did.

Big bang? No evidence. Big flood? All kinds of evidence. Evolution? Ridiculous! Creation? That's what the "human genome" guy now thinks. The "hopeful monster" has been slain by Irreducible Complexity.

The "Church" at-large? Predicted well in advance: (2 Timothy 3) . . . having a form of Godliness, but denying it's power!

Holy Christian, be all your name means, and walk in holiness, dedication to your Risen Saviour! There is a faithful remnant, through which God still works His wonders!

And I would be happy to show you to the best of my ability what the Bible says about any objection to faith that you may have.

Love in Christ,

Mark

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

2 Timothy 1:12 for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return.

What a beautiful verse. I know the One in whom I trust. I know He will keep me safe until His return. He who is the author of my faith will finish it too. Praise the Lord.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

If I was going to conger up a being to be in control of the universe in my imagination, I sure would not imagine a God who expected me to clean up my act, and treat those whom I consider my enemies as friends. I would not imagine a God whose standards for purity include the way we think about someone. I would not imagine a God who insists that I be honest and keep my word, even if it causes me to suffer. I would create a God who allowed me to live according to my impulses and desires.

Guest Holy Christian

While I don't exactly agree with the things said here. It may be on account I was not raised with any specific religion (My mother was brought up Catholic, converted Christian.And my father Jewish or the lack of any religion). However, what I do bring with me is the incredibly strong belief that Science takes power over the philosophy of man. Humans have been wrong more countless times. Science much less so. A few mistakes here and there (The crab for instance, which by the way didn't show up in Google, so I have a bit of a hard time believing) is no way to blacklist the scientific world that has given us our way of life. Science gives evidence and merit to both The Big Bang. And the String theory. (Eleven Dimensions). However, Christian beliefs (Mythical floods, imaginary arks, anything of that nature) has never been concluded, or even seriously theorized. A book written by several ancient priests, changed hundreds of times over the year, is no way in which to base our existence, purpose, or life.

This has unfortunately driven me to my current belief stance, which would be Agnostic, leaning Atheist. I do appreciate the help, but the posts I've seen look more like propaganda (Albeit it good natured) just taking its course after many years of suppressed stress, or religious teachings.

(Also, as a footnote, I attended a bible school when I was young. I found it as ridiculous then as I do now)

Edited by Holy Christian

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Sorry, there's no evidence for either the "big bang" theory, or the "string" theory. That's why they're still theories. I know you want to believe this badly. It makes one feel secure to believe they live in a totally predictable, rational world, and if there is a God, well, then, He has to be totally predictable and rational as well, or something bad might happen. He might do something*gasp*supernatural!

As for the flood, if you've studied ancient civilizations at all(like Western Civ 101), you'll be well aware that a Great Flood story exists in a surprising number of many of these civilizations. Can you prove it didn't happen? What makes you think the Ark was imaginary, because it hasn't been found yet? Like proof of the "big bang" and the "string" theories? :th_wave: So it would seem that us Christians aren't the only ones choosing to believe things with no concrete proof behind them. You just choose to believe different things with no proof, the things that make you comfortable to believe.

The Bible hasn't been changed hundreds of times over the years. Read a Geneva Bible, translated once. Not changed, translated.

I'm just wondering, if you "know" Christianity is nothing to base your life on, why are you here? Do you think you're going to "de-convert" anyone here? You're welcome here, of course. I'm just wondering, why waste everyone's time if you already have your mind made up?

Guest Holy Christian

I just enjoy the responses I get from religious people, like a rare species of some kind that I prefer to observe.. Perhaps I'm Sadistic :) I've had my fun, you can go back to your God now.

-Dan

(I try a new story every time I find a new chat room or board. This one didn't do half bad. Thanks for your time, and uh, bible quotes.)

Edited by Holy Christian

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,580
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Birthday:  04/13/1960

Well, I've become disgusted with all forms of religion. It would appear that everyone is either out to convert everybody else, or to make money. And so I began to think. Is God a figment of our imagination? An imaginary failsafe we rely on because of instinctual fears that cause us worry, pain, or anything related? Do we all truly want to believe that some form of ourselves live on for all eternity. Was god a ploy of Ancient man to keep people in order (That failed miserably at that).

If we look at scientific evidence; The big bang, fossils, any sort carbon based dating that reaches older then the bible. We find that everything accustoms, and is adjusted to the laws of Nature, Physics, and Science. If that is so, why isn't God? Everything in the world is forced to comply. Does this mean that the magical mystery man does not have to? The more and more I think of it, the more and more convinced I get that God is just a figment of peoples imagination. To be used when in fear and Sundays. And forgotten the rest of the time.

I felt the need to ask this board the question, because every other time that I have asked someone else of the Christian faith. I have been kicked out of chat rooms, told off in person. And simply brushed off as a non-believer, blasphemer, or with the response "God-Exists". I'll be looking forward to your replies.

:emot-hug: the more you dwell on questioning your faith, the wider the opening for satan to really mess with your head. We are human, we have anxiety, worries, trials, but these give us character and with each experience we gain perserverance and learn some lesson out of it. God is real, I am evidence. So are many others here. Trust in Him, read His Word, your faith will grow stronger if you stop analyzing as it becomes a vicsious circle. God is real. He is our Creator. He is the beginning and the end and makes no mistakes. If you have been saved then know that you have the authority to command the dominions of satan to flee from you in Jesus name.

He loves you. You do not have to be separated from Him by these thoughts but look toward Him and read the Word which is the truth and you will find your way back. Stay and have fellowship with us and you will grow and learn with an open heart and mind to God :)