• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Christians have dumped God's law haven't they? I know they like to say "fulfilled", but it isn't being followed by Christians is it?

I mean simply that Christianity doesn't follow Old Testament law. Christians don't, for example, keep to the dietary regulations.

No, what you mean, is that Christians don't live like Jews. Christians believe in and try to live (generally) by the moral stipulations of OT Torah. They do not follow the dietary laws because that was not given to them, but to Israel.

Something you need to understand is that not every verse in the Bible is for every person in every age. Some things were given only to Israel, so to find fault with Christians for not doing what they were not commanded to is kind of silly.

Every passage of scripture as an address. Just like on a the front of an envelope, it tells you the sender, and the intended recipient. It is the same with the Bible. There is an author and an intended recipient. While we are able to learn from those passages we are not commanded to keep them as a matter of daily observance. If a Christian wants to keep the dietary laws, he is free to do so, but that is a matter of conscience between he/she and the Lord.

Even in Bible days, not all of the 613 commandments applied directly to every Jew. Of the 613, some only applied to you if you were a priest, or if you the High Priest. Some only applied if you were a woman or if you were a man, or if you had children, or if you gave birth to a son, or if you gave birth to a daughter, or if you owned a business, or if you were married, or if you owned herds and flocks, or if you grew crops. No single person ever kept all 613 commandments.

Even today the Jewish people do not keep the whole Torah. Without a Temple, over 1/3 of the Torah goes unobserved, and of course the Jewish people on the liberal end of the spectrum observe as little as they can get away with, so honestly, this approach of yours really doesn't work.

You obviously lack a lot of knowledge as to the proper relationship of the various parts of the Bible, one to another, and the proper relationship between the Christian and the Old Testament.

Amen, thats an awesome post. :th_frusty:

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest talent_D

Well I recently quoted the Christian apologist C.S. Lewis admitting that Jesus did indeed give false prophecy. Doesn't look good does it?

You don't believe...so what do you care?

Don't believe what? That Jesus was a false prophet? I certainly believe that the Jesus of the Bible was a false prophet.

Okay, We have one vote for Jesus being a false prophet based on a C.S. Lewis quote that could or could not be taken in context. :24:

Next...

I'm going through a transition from Christianity to atheism. I have been a keen student of the Bible for at least 7 years and everything I learned has been rocked! Through experience I've been down the road of both extremes of legalism and liberalism without success of living a happy life. All the anguish and pain I have gained from doctrine I now find is not worth the effort.

I'm not sure now who Jesus is... the one mentioned in the Bible is the ultimate model of how man/woman should be. He is the Word and was in the beginning. He is the Saviour plus many things more.

According to everything written in the Bible Jesus is the only Man in history to fit the criteria given through prophecy.

I say "Jesus is who He says He is" in accordance to the Word but "is Jesus who the Gospel writers claim Him to be?" Prophecy is not as reliable as it is made out to be. The book of Daniel (agreed by scholars) was not completed till 167 BC when the events spoken of in Daniels time was 4-500 years earlier. The kingdoms mentioned in the dream had already been (but I'm not sure about Rome) when the book was completed. The gospels were written after Jerusalem had fallen so did Jesus really predict the destruction of Jerusalem?

I'm scared to think that Jesus does not exist or that the Bible is not inspired by God. Have I been living a lie? There isn't much anyone can tell me about Jesus as I have walked and talked with Him most of my life. If my findings are correct then I've been talking to myself all these years. I have much too discover and am still clinging to Christianity but I'm losing my grip. If God is real and I choose atheism then I choose death:(

Somebody please help me out here... PROVE that Jesus is who He says He is!

Guest willing servant

Ive always been interested in those that say jesus was just a great teacher...

He himself said he was the son of god

Does that mean great teachers can be insane?................................... I don't think so..

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

All the anguish and pain I have gained from doctrine I now find is not worth the effort.

Mar 8:35 For whoever will save his life shall lose it; but whoever shall lose his life for My sake and the gospel's, he shall save it.

Mar 8:36 For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?

Mar 8:37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Mar 8:38 Therefore whoever shall be ashamed of Me and of My Words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man shall also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

talent D,

If you are going to look to PEOPLE for truth and satisfaction you will end up lost and dissolutioned. Since when do any of us have the right answers ?

If you can't stick with the Jesus of the Bible you have no hope. Listening to traditions will get you killed in the lake of fire.

Guest talent_D
talent D,

If you are going to look to PEOPLE for truth and satisfaction you will end up lost and dissolutioned. Since when do any of us have the right answers ?

If you can't stick with the Jesus of the Bible you have no hope. Listening to traditions will get you killed in the lake of fire.

Greetings Beta,

When I came into the Truth (Jesus) it was because I had an enquiring mind and was all messed up. I speak for myself but assume MOST people had a similar experience. Had it not been for PEOPLE I wouldn't have come to know Jesus. Did Jesus Himself come to me in the flesh? Not exactly... He introduced Himself through a pastor who told me things from the Bible that made a whole lot of sense. The Bible itself is written by PEOPLE however they were inspired by God. The Pastor, Reverend, Priest and missionaries are also PEOPLE. I don't know anyone including myself who hear Gods audible voice. Unfortunately I am not blessed with the communication Abraham had with God.

So what do I do? Keep quiet and hope these doubts just go away? Pray to God for an answer and not search for it. Do I just simply hope the answer will pop into my head without enquiring? Remember faith without works is dead! The doubt that I have is my expression of the freedom God has given me for without doubt I CANNOT have FAITH. Forgive me if my dialogue comes across as heretical for it is NOT my intention. Our subjective knowledge of God based on the Bible is not supported by the objective facts of the world in regards to Prophecy. Here my faith is shaken for the evidence is undeniable thus far. I am in search of the TRUTH. Is it a sin to do so?

Your faith as well as mine past has been based on what? The Bible.

"Since when do any of us have the right answers?"... as a man thinketh in his heart; so is he... There is a way that seemeth right unto a man but the end thereof is death...Beta you are right in saying that but could there be at least ONE person living who has the answer? It is for me to discern what I think is truth and that is a right God has given methrough the Holy Spirit. The best person would be someone that has experienced a similar predicament, someone who can relate to what I'm going through. That's who I am talking too and in search of. When I find that person he/she can share with me how God solved the problem. I still pray to God asking Him to prove my doubts wrong.

I was a devout Christian serving God out of LOVE and NOT fear. The lake of fire is not something that concerns me. I deserve to go there coz like Paul I too am chief of all sinners. I don't want to die the second death but now that my faith is in doubt I wonder if there is such a thing? It would be plain ignorance to reject a fact that seems to make sense and fill gaps that have no answers. Fear of something I don't want to hear causes me to hesitate in learning but rational thinking or logic which to a certain degree is regarded as the worldly(devils) way of thinking drives me to pursue the answers. In the dark ages my enquiring mind would have me slaughtered but we are not living in those times.

Did I not receive the love of the Truth that God has sent me strong delusion that I might believe a lie? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Christian PEOPLE... tread carefully with LOVE and deal to me as Jesus would. If I need to be rebuked then do so as Jesus did... He wept for Jerusalem and its sins before judgment came on them. I understand the condemnation that will befall me outside of Christ and don't need to be reminded. If it is by simple faith that the answer lies then I am in serious doubt for the foundation is sand. Your responses may determine my path and if I choose otherwise then I will remove my profile for I will be a discordant note in the melody of heaven and have no place here but to cause discord.

In peace

Guest talent_D

All the anguish and pain I have gained from doctrine I now find is not worth the effort.

Mar 8:35 For whoever will save his life shall lose it; but whoever shall lose his life for My sake and the gospel's, he shall save it.

Mar 8:36 For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?

Mar 8:37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Mar 8:38 Therefore whoever shall be ashamed of Me and of My Words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man shall also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.

Peace be with you Ayin Jade,

in my days of ignorance I would laugh and mock those of other religions about their sacrifices and traditions like Elijah did on Mt Carmel with the Baal worshippers. What is the difference between our sacrifice and theirs? All religions demand self denial.

I liken my experience to that of the early Martin Luther when he discovered Justification by Faith. He tried everything there was possible in his grasp to attain salvation and when he discovered a new truth it was something he couldn't deny. I have not found anything new but to my knowledge it is to me. Once saved always saved is an erroneous doctrine and I've been through the legalistic phase. I've been there and done that but now without any intention doing something new that I'm having trouble coping with. I can't sleep coz the world I'm waking up to is not where I want to be.

I loved Jesus for what He done for me and have a great understanding of what salvation means. The fall of Lucifer in heaven was not enough for God to destroy him. It wasn't till the death of Jesus that the true fruits of Satan were revealed and his battle lost. It was then that the whole universe witnessed the Love of God and the sacrifice of Jesus our Lord and Saviour. Jesus dying the second death for me is the full extent of His love for me and I gave myself to Him. I still love Jesus but only now He is becoming an idea and heaven a utopian dream. I still wish to attain His character but if I don't believe in Him then it is impossible.

I am in an uneasy place right now for my whole world is SHAKEN! Judge me not but pray for me and encourage me. I have been a soldier of the cross gifted in evangelism and teaching. I was not ashamed to bear witness of my faith. Do you think that all this happens in a flash. Something new and contradicting comes along and blows everything I ever lived for. I MUST prove this theory wrong that I can be stronger in Christ. In my quest for the truth I am either ignored or misunderstood. The underlying message I receive from your response is "How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him." The answer to this question is my desire!

I am drowning gasping for air, my hand is reaching out for the ground beneath me is sinking. If I conclude that there is no God what then do I have to live for? I want to live! I FEAR thinking of a life as an atheist.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

talentd,

Ga

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Your faith as well as mine past has been based on what? The Bible.

Not completely brother. My understanding of God's nature and plan is based on His Word revealed in the Holy Bible as the Holy Spirit gives understanding but my faith has been based on relationship. Hear me out brother...

I don't mean the type of relationship through prayer & worship only. I mean the type of relationship whereby God has blessed me and my family in miraculous ways so many times I can't even recall all of them. I have many testimonies but the most recent occurred this past year. One year ago September, my 25 year old son experienced two ischimic strokes. Subsequent medical tests revealed that Michael has a very rare brain disease called Moyamoya and required two bypass surgeries. Both surgeries were a success, Michael is much better (headaches gone and risk of a life-threatening stroke minimal), enrolled in RN school (he has a BS in Biochemistry) and wants to go to Medical School once he regains his stamina for study. So where are the miracles?

Michael's stroke occurred one week before his eligibility for COBRA under my group insurance ran out. Hence, I immediately enrolled him and the medical expenses, which ran over $200,000, were ALL covered. He is covered for 3 years!

Michael was diagnosed in a fraction of the time it usually takes. The first MD to diagnose him was actually a radiologist who is a close friend of my wife. The diagnosis enabled us to seek the right provider knowledgeable of Moyamoya.

The qualified provider we found treated Michael like his own son, which is why he refered Michael to the top neurosurgeon in the Eastern United States located at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, which just happens to be in our network.

Michael had his first surgery within 3 months of being diagnosed (this usually takes a year) and it was a great success. Just a few hours after being transferred from ICU to the floor, Michael was in the cafeteria eating dinner with us. That is less than 24 hours after having major brain surgery. The 2nd surgery was just as great of a success.

I can go on and on but the point is this. The right people at the right time in the right place. That's God brother!

...and I haven't shared most of the story. It is still being played out.

One passage of Scripture sticks out. In John 9:1-3, Jesus was asked by His disciples who sinned to cause the man to be born blind. Remember His answer? "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.

God relates with us. Problem is that often we are like those Israelites who just weeks after seeing the parting of the Red Sea, the Egyptian Army destroyed, and other miracles of God...they made and worshipped a golden calf. Flesh does two things: it gets in the way of us hearing God's whisper to our spirit AND it explains away the miraculous as just another everyday occurrence.

I believe because God is real to me brother.

May the Lord Bless you richly,

Wayne

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't know anyone including myself who hear Gods audible voice. Unfortunately I am not blessed with the communication Abraham had with God.

Hi talent D -

I know what this struggle is like. I have been trying to learn how to hear the voice of God as well. A man from my former church has a personal mission to teach people how to do this. I see people around me "get it", but yet I struggle. I guess it's because I'm a strong-minded person; my mind just doesn't shut-off easily. I don't know. It is frustrating, though.

But do I believe the testimonies of people who claim to have been directed by God this way? Absolutely!

One of the more famous stories I know came out of the Columbine massacre several years ago. Craig Scott was one of the students in the library when the shooting began. He shared how with the fire alarms and the gunfire, their ears had become numb. None of them realized Eric and Dylan left the library. Craig testified that as he was lying there in the blood of his two friends playing dead, he suddenly heard a a clear voice speak to him, "Get out of here." It wasn't a person, because no living person was near to him. He knew it was God; it couldn't have come from anywhere else. When he lifted his head, he saw the other students frozen in shock. So he got up and obeyed the voice - by getting everyone else up and out of there. He had to even pull on some of them to get them up and convince them it was safe to move. And he led them to the fire escape and out of the building.

Craig was no Abraham; he was just a normal teenager. But the Lord chose to use him to save the lives of the survivers before Eric and Dylan came back and likely would have made sure everyone was dead.

Now, I hope you don't have to go through a tragedy like this in order to hear the voice of God. But it was an example that came to my mind.

So, what about this man I mentioned above who loves to teach people how to hear the voice of God? Well, he says he never heard God's voice audibly, yet he knows God speaks to him through his mind. It begins by asking the Lord to speak to him, and it's followed through by doing what he was given. Most often God communicates through thoughts and images (things you see in your mind, like you do when you daydream).

One story he shared was how this one day, his children asked for his permission to go to a party they had been invited to. He told them to ask the Lord if they could go. They did, and all of them received, "No." They were bumbed, but obeyed what they heard fromt he Lord. Later they found out the police had raided the party because drugs were there, and they arrested everyone that was there.

On the flip side, he shared that he would ask the Lord how he should punish his children for things they had done wrong, and often the Lord would instruct him to give them a less severe punishment than he was planning.

So, hearing God isn't the Hollywood spectacular we often imagine it to be. We look for lightning when He would rather speak intimately to your spirit. That's why hearing God tends to go unnoticed. We have to recognize is soul and what is spirit. And there is a difference. I'm still learning.

But I recall one time I was asking the Lord why He loved me. The funny thing is I wasn't in "a time of prayer"; I was just struggling with my depression issues and expressing my frustration with myself in this. But a strong "thought" passed through my head, "Why do you love your cat?" I was like, "Huh?" That was not something I had ever spent time thinking about; I mean, I just loved her, so why worry about why? But the question was asked, and so I thought about that. The only answer I could think of was, "Because she's mine." The next thougth that entered my head was, "There you go!" (which I understood to mean, "I love you for the same reason you love your cat; because you are Mine.")

There is no way I could have dreamed up this conversation on my own.

So, when I am faced with those challenges of scholarship that threaten to question my faith, I think back to times like this when I know the Lord made Himself real to me. How often in my depression I fell into suicidal thinking, and the Lord would put a vision in my head to show me how much He did not want me to kill myself. Those visions were the only reason I did not. (Now when I say "vision," I mean something that I saw like I would see in a daydream, not something I would physically see.)

So, in my writing this, I hope to encourage you to find the Lord in the communication of your spirit, not in your physical senses.

As for what you learned in school, I've seen presented evidence that scholars and archaelogists might have the times wrong, that events such as the Exodus and David's reign occured much much earlier in human history than has been traditionally interpreted. It would take a while to go through these things, but from what I heard it does make a lot more sense. I present that as something to ponder, at least.

As for prophetic writings, the speaking of current events are just as prophetic as speaking of future events. Prophecy isn't predicting the future, but the revealing of hearts. First it reveals the heart of God. Secondly it uncovers the heart of man. Try reading Daniel and Isaiah in this light. :cool: