Dealing with doubt

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board, and pretty new to being a Christian. Maybe I'll post my testimonial sometime, but right now I'd like to just ask for some advice.

I'm an intellectual type; I've spent most of my life looking for knowledge, thinking about philosophy and ideas, arguments, etc. In the short time that I've been a Christian, the first part of it was spent mostly trying to convince myself that what I'd come to believe was intellectually credible. I spent lots of time on the internet reading various objections to Christianity, to the bible, and so on, and defenses and refutations against those objections. I think this was very helpful in a lot of ways, in that I'm now able to defend my faith and answer almost any question that might come up in a casual conversation. But there are some difficulties in having delved this deep. Sometimes I am just overwhelmed with doubt about a particular point, a particular objection, and it seems like there is just no answer to the skeptic's position, even if I thought there was at one point. Last night I became obsessed with the issue of the different genealogies of Jesus in Matthew and Luke, and whether they can be reconciled. I spent hours reading various articles about this on the internet. This continued throughout today, and there were times that it seemed so likely to me, just based on this one objection, that Christianity simply isn't true. My faith that seemed so well grounded even just a few days ago seemed like it was standing on nothing--all my experiences where I felt close to God, all the prayers I thought were answered, all the amazing stories I've heard about God in other people's lives, all the historical evidence that I thought there was for Christianity, that all seemed to collapse into being nothing more than wishful thinking, in light of this one issue that I couldn't resolve in my mind. It doesn't feel like this now, but it did just hours ago, and that's the worst feeling in the world.

To those of you here that spend a lot of time with this sort of thing--answering objections to unbelievers, dealing with issues in the bible, etc--do you go through this sort of doubt much? Does it ever make you want to just give up on even exploring those sorts of objections? How do you deal with all of this? I'm looking for anything right now, encouragement and advice for how to keep my faith strong.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I suppose I could become bogged down reading up on these things too, but I have decided long ago to believe in Jesus Christ and His Word. It stands up to any onslaught! When you choose to be unwavering, it becomes an easy thing to just refuse to doubt. Jesus is who He says He is, and any argument is just that---an argument. My mind is clear, and I will ensure it stays that way by reading His Word and believing it, and spending time daily talking with Jesus. Any other writing is from the mind of man...not God.

Be like Joshua and choose this day who you will serve and go forth and do it wholeheartedly, not looking back. Looking back is doubt. Faith in Jesus Christ is worth it all---He never lets you down and always, always reveals Himself as the Truth! He is worthy of your trust!

Blessings! Welcome to the family of God! :)

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

First of all, C.S. Lewis said that the religious life entered into without critical examination has no more merit than any other kind of life entered into without critical examination. I concur, so I think you are doing the right thing.

You will find the more you study, the more convinced you will become of God's Word. Your studiousness sounds just like me, and I've been at it for 36 years now!

By the way, Matthew and Luke's geneologies are not meant to be reconciled. Most scholars feel that the one follows Mary's line, and the other Joseph's.........

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board, and pretty new to being a Christian. Maybe I'll post my testimonial sometime, but right now I'd like to just ask for some advice.

I'm an intellectual type; I've spent most of my life looking for knowledge, thinking about philosophy and ideas, arguments, etc. In the short time that I've been a Christian, the first part of it was spent mostly trying to convince myself that what I'd come to believe was intellectually credible. I spent lots of time on the internet reading various objections to Christianity, to the bible, and so on, and defenses and refutations against those objections. I think this was very helpful in a lot of ways, in that I'm now able to defend my faith and answer almost any question that might come up in a casual conversation. But there are some difficulties in having delved this deep. Sometimes I am just overwhelmed with doubt about a particular point, a particular objection, and it seems like there is just no answer to the skeptic's position, even if I thought there was at one point. Last night I became obsessed with the issue of the different genealogies of Jesus in Matthew and Luke, and whether they can be reconciled. I spent hours reading various articles about this on the internet. This continued throughout today, and there were times that it seemed so likely to me, just based on this one objection, that Christianity simply isn't true. My faith that seemed so well grounded even just a few days ago seemed like it was standing on nothing--all my experiences where I felt close to God, all the prayers I thought were answered, all the amazing stories I've heard about God in other people's lives, all the historical evidence that I thought there was for Christianity, that all seemed to collapse into being nothing more than wishful thinking, in light of this one issue that I couldn't resolve in my mind. It doesn't feel like this now, but it did just hours ago, and that's the worst feeling in the world.

To those of you here that spend a lot of time with this sort of thing--answering objections to unbelievers, dealing with issues in the bible, etc--do you go through this sort of doubt much? Does it ever make you want to just give up on even exploring those sorts of objections? How do you deal with all of this? I'm looking for anything right now, encouragement and advice for how to keep my faith strong.

I used to when I would complicate the simple. I gave up and just believed and let Jesus give me the answers in time. God made it so simple take John 3:16 for instance. For God so Loved the world he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not parish but have eternal life. You and I are a whosoever that makes us eligible for this free gift. WoW how simple is that! Thanks God!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

It is a wonderful thing to study. Just be sure you are studying scholars that are not trying to tear the word apart but rather are scholars who have a deep abiding faith in God. The Word is understood by the Spirit of God and by intelligence. You need both. Pink (Can't think of his first name right now) and Adam Clark will get you started in true in depth thinking. There are some fantastic thinkers out there. Leonard can give you some for he is a real thinker also.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/21/1948

It is a wonderful thing to study. Just be sure you are studying scholars that are not trying to tear the word apart but rather are scholars who have a deep abiding faith in God. The Word is understood by the Spirit of God and by intelligence. You need both. Pink (Can't think of his first name right now) and Adam Clark will get you started in true in depth thinking. There are some fantastic thinkers out there. Leonard can give you some for he is a real thinker also.

:41: Read 2 Tim.2:15 Study to shew thyself approved, unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. Always pray and ask the Holy Spirit for understanding of His word. When I first became a christian I did not always understand everything I read in the Bible. I became discouraged alot. A friend of mine, told me before I read the Bible. to always pray to the Holy Spirit for understanding of God's word. I also had 5 different translations of the Bible. The more I prayed about spiritual understanding, the more His word became clear to me. I was able to share God's word more with other ppl. and share the Gospel. The Lord does not expect us to know everything, but he does want us to keep reading His word and seek a closer walk with Him. Looking forward to chatting with you in the rooms. YSIC Littlelite :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

here's an url that explains the differences -

http://www.lifeofchrist.com/life/genealogy/

Glad to see you studying. There's always a reason we have to just keeping "digging" til we find it. Enjoy!

Edited by terter

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I go through this quite a bit...I'm beginning to think it's a sort of trial all such logically-minded people need to go through...maybe it's to keep our heads from getting too big. Whatever it is, you're not alone.

Lee Strobel's The Case for Faith (and all the books of that series) may be a comfort to you (though his writing is, I admit, quite dry).

• Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

I have been there myself at times. Usually I'll eventually find the answer but sometimes I trust that all the other evidence overwhelms me and assume when and if He wants me to know the answer, He will show me. It's happened many times. The answer that is.

I quoted this in another thread a few days ago. Rick Warren, of Purpose Driven Life, once said in an interview with Larry King, "We as humans tend to believe our doubts and doubt our beliefs. It should be the other way around. We should believe our beliefs and doubt our doubts.