• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/06/1951

Just been thinking.....

I have noticed an awful lot of people coming into "chat" that are down on their selves...."I'm bored"..."I don't have any friends"..."nobody likes me"....or even "I'm thinking about ending my life"... (and it is not just youth)!

Do you think this is because we are a overindulgent ...bored...society, that has too much and everything is "me" "Me".."ME"..? I suggested to one person "Have you ever volunteered at a soup kitchen, or a nursing home"?...There are so many people that are longing to have someone just sit with them and talk....Ever tried being a "Big brother or Big sister?"....and I was ignored completely. ...While others lovingly tried to lift the person up!....I know when I start feeling sorry for myself I try to do something for someone ....(like call someone I haven't talked to in a long time and see how they are or send a "Thinking of you card") It gets my mind off of me and makes me feel good about life.....Speaking of life,.....My best friend Gloria Puckett shared with me (a week before she died)..this:...... that will stick with me forever ! ...she said "Here I am fighting for life.....and others are throwing theirs away"...It has made me ask myself... "Just what AM I doing with this precious gift that God has given me?" :th_praying:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Yes.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  10/27/1965

Yes. That and the fact that it is near impossible to get some people out of their houses for anything except for work. It is no wonder that some people feel they have no freinds when the only time you see people is in a work environment.

Sadly, I have left a couple of churches that were fairly good, growing in the Spirit, but they lacked any interaction outside of the services and a few prayer meetings. Of course, a lot of this is also a sign of our times, when just making ends meet for a family takes two paychecks and some overitme as well.

The best time in my life has always been with a church that values and stresses "We" time over "Me" time. "We" time as in group activities, structured or spontaneous, centered around other christians both within our church congregation and outside.

Edited by Akabu

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Just been thinking.....

I have noticed an awful lot of people coming into "chat" that are down on their selves...."I'm bored"..."I don't have any friends"..."nobody likes me"....or even "I'm thinking about ending my life"... (and it is not just youth)!

Do you think this is because we are a overindulgent ...bored...society, that has too much and everything is "me" "Me".."ME"..? I suggested to one person "Have you ever volunteered at a soup kitchen, or a nursing home"?...There are so many people that are longing to have someone just sit with them and talk....Ever tried being a "Big brother or Big sister?"....and I was ignored completely. ...While others lovingly tried to lift the person up!....I know when I start feeling sorry for myself I try to do something for someone ....(like call someone I haven't talked to in a long time and see how they are or send a "Thinking of you card") It gets my mind off of me and makes me feel good about life.....Speaking of life,.....My best friend Gloria Puckett shared with me (a week before she died)..this:...... that will stick with me forever ! ...she said "Here I am fighting for life.....and others are throwing theirs away"...It has made me ask myself... "Just what AM I doing with this precious gift that God has given me?" :th_praying:

Use it, Use it God gave you this life to live for him and there is so much glory to be lived for your best friend Jesus! See you have a friend talk to him he longs for your friendship. Oh thank you Lord for paying this precious person a visit.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/19/1948

Interesting food for thought in this article...

only 8% of Japanese teens say they are happy with life

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews....=rss&rpc=22

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Misery loves company, and you will always find it in a chat room because unlike empathy, sympathy doesn't cost anybody anything and usually encourages the person "feeling down." to keep feeling that way. So sympathy, in abundance in a chat room like we have here, solves no problems, but empathy is hard to demonstrate in a public formum.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  101
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  10/02/1948

I think all of you have excellent thoughts on this. But I must ask when we run into these people that are down are we discovering what they truly need?? Not being cold or callused at all here but we need if possible to discover the root cause of the problem. Unless you are doing one on one work with people this is really hard. However I am also not saying we shouldn't try to help. After all thats what it is all about. God Bless