• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Can anyone tell me what the beliefs of the Catholic Church are? I know this may sound stupid to be asking, but I am seriously confused. I am told that Catholics are not Christians, I am told that they are. I know some of the doctrine, but also not a lot. I have found that in the area that I live in, I know one Catholic out of at least a couple hundred (I have personaly talked to) that are actually saved becuase most believe in good works...

I also know that some Catholics in history worshiped dead bodies, which seem to be prevalent in some of the churches (the bones of saints to be specific).... and I know that the bible says in the New Testament about Christ being the only priest.

And what is this about Catholics and communion believing it is the ACTUAL blood and body of Christ? What about baptising babies? I know it isn't scriptural, but do they really do that? And what is with the thing with confession? I dont understand.

What is mass really?

I've also been told that the church changes it's laws over time, which by looking at history, seems to be VERY prevalent... and also that not only does the church have a set of laws, those vary amongst the different churches.

I"m not even going to attempt to touch on the universal idea at this point. What about the offereing plate? I've heard from an x-catholic that many times peopel believe that if you sin, you just do a couple of hail mary's but to get a higher ranking of whatever, just put more money in the offering plate.

They make as much jokes at my school as they do about the Catholic Church... and I can think of two in particular that help with these jokes: a Catholic(forced by parents) and someone who went through Catholic school but no longer has anything to deal with it.

I am not trying to be rude, and I want to apologize if I somehow offend anybody by this, but I sick of having large misconceptions about the Catholic church and being highly confused about it.. if anyone could please help, it would be greatly appreciated... looking online just hasn't helped..

Thankyou

With love in Christ,

Crystal

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

What about baptising babies? I know it isn't scriptural, but do they really do that?

I'm not a Catholic so I will leave the majority of your post to someone who is, I just want to say that it isn't just Catholics who baptise babies. I was baptised as a baby and (unless the Catholic belief is different) it isn't so much for the baby as a chance for the parents to promise to raise their child up in the Christian faith.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Hey Kitty, PM either Fiosh, Kansasdad, or...................sorry I just went blank. Either one I think, would be glad to answer your questions and you wont have to listen to all of the debate, on a thread. That why you can get your questions answer straight from the horses mouth (so to speak, sorry Fiosh & KD :P ) without having to wade through other stuff.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Here's a handy chart I found for sorting through various denominations, etc. I hope it answers some of your questions *smile*

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  05/07/1979

I was baptised as a baby as well in the United Church of Canada. In my church (Salvation Army) it isnt so much as a baptism but as a dedication.. the parents promise to dedicate raising the child in the way of God.

• Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Alright.. I take that part back about baptism lol I forgot that is something that is a part of MANY other churches other than just Catholic churches *sticks foot in mouth*

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  364
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I agree with Silentprayer!

I also know Fiosh started a thread called "Ask a Catholic"

that is very informative and the last I looked was a very

civil Questin and Answer thread.

God Bless!

;)

I agree with Silentprayer!

I also know Fiosh started a thread called "Ask a Catholic"

that is very informative and the last I looked was a very

civil Questin and Answer thread.

God Bless!

;)

It's located in Apologetics.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Can anyone tell me what the beliefs of the Catholic Church are? I know this may sound stupid to be asking, but I am seriously confused. I am told that Catholics are not Christians, I am told that they are. I know some of the doctrine, but also not a lot. I have found that in the area that I live in, I know one Catholic out of at least a couple hundred (I have personaly talked to) that are actually saved becuase most believe in good works...

I also know that some Catholics in history worshiped dead bodies, which seem to be prevalent in some of the churches (the bones of saints to be specific).... and I know that the bible says in the New Testament about Christ being the only priest.

And what is this about Catholics and communion believing it is the ACTUAL blood and body of Christ? What about baptising babies? I know it isn't scriptural, but do they really do that? And what is with the thing with confession? I dont understand.

What is mass really?

I've also been told that the church changes it's laws over time, which by looking at history, seems to be VERY prevalent... and also that not only does the church have a set of laws, those vary amongst the different churches.

I"m not even going to attempt to touch on the universal idea at this point. What about the offereing plate? I've heard from an x-catholic that many times peopel believe that if you sin, you just do a couple of hail mary's but to get a higher ranking of whatever, just put more money in the offering plate.

They make as much jokes at my school as they do about the Catholic Church... and I can think of two in particular that help with these jokes: a Catholic(forced by parents) and someone who went through Catholic school but no longer has anything to deal with it.

I am not trying to be rude, and I want to apologize if I somehow offend anybody by this, but I sick of having large misconceptions about the Catholic church and being highly confused about it.. if anyone could please help, it would be greatly appreciated... looking online just hasn't helped..

Thankyou

With love in Christ,

Crystal

First of all we are not to judge one another but rather forgive one another.

Second how would anyone know who is saved and who is not! It's a thing of the heart!

John 3:16

Third God's laws never change so this is self-explanatory. He who servers man serves man he who serves God let him serve God. Although we now live under grace nevertheless the Bible should not be added to or taken away from. So anything that's not in your bible is of man.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  05/06/1986

I was raised Catholic, and baptised as a baby. To be honest a lot of their ways confuse me too. I've drifted from that denomination, now I just consider myself a Christian. I don't understand why Catholics worship Mary. Is anyone able to explain this?