IGNORED

Should obesity, smoking, make you a 2nd class citizen?

buckthesystem

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

oh yea,

there are already places in the USA, that it is illegal to smoke in public... even in your own front yard...

this is as far back as the mid 1980's ......

mike

I live in California and you are not allowed to smoke in any public building. And if some counties you have to be at least 20 feet from the entrance of a building when your smoking. I was thrilled when they passed the law making it illegal to somke in public buildings. We don't allow anyone to smoke in our home or in our car. No I don't think your a second class citizen but I don't want to breathe your second hand smoke and mess my health up. As for obesity my heart breakes for those who battle that, and I have no patience with people who make fun of them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

AMEN Rusty! On all counts!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/14/2006

*claps for Rusty*

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  153
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/02/1983

If a person were on meth and jacked up their teeth from it, should our taxes be used to fund them getting better teeth?

A big 'ol heck no from me.

Same with smoking and obesity. If a person is obese and has chronic problems from that, problems that they wouldn't have if they were working on the core problem (obesity) why should they get my tax money to take care of a problem they can alleviate without medicine?

I'm not being discriminatory... I'm overweight. I have knee problems and health issues because of that. But I've taken the proactive way and am exercising and becoming healthier so I don't have to spend money to take care of a problem that could be taken care of if I'd just get my lazy butt up off the couch and move and stop feeding my face with junk.

I'd have to see a more thorough description of the plan to see if I'd agree with it or not. But I'm all for socialized health care and wish we'd adopt it here in the states.

If a person were on meth and jacked up their teeth from it, should our taxes be used to fund them getting better teeth?

A big 'ol heck no from me.

Same with smoking and obesity. If a person is obese and has chronic problems from that, problems that they wouldn't have if they were working on the core problem (obesity) why should they get my tax money to take care of a problem they can alleviate without medicine?

I'm not being discriminatory... I'm overweight. I have knee problems and health issues because of that. But I've taken the proactive way and am exercising and becoming healthier so I don't have to spend money to take care of a problem that could be taken care of if I'd just get my lazy butt up off the couch and move and stop feeding my face with junk.

I'd have to see a more thorough description of the plan to see if I'd agree with it or not. But I'm all for socialized health care and wish we'd adopt it here in the states.

I agree. :P

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,234
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

who's going to decide if a persons knee went out because they are overweight or have bad genes. I know several people who have arthritus and are not over weight at all.

When you let the government get involved in your personal lives, you will not have personal lives. Stomp the government out of as much of your daily lives as you can.... while you can.

Leonard is right, we don't need this and should stop it before it starts.......

Sam

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,234
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Buck, to answer your question, I don't think it should make them seconc class citizens. The smoking part I don't want them to do around me (stinks and makes me sick..... literally).

who's going to decide if a persons knee went out because they are overweight or have bad genes. I know several people who have arthritus and are not over weight at all.

When you let the government get involved in your personal lives, you will not have personal lives. Stomp the government out of as much of your daily lives as you can.... while you can.

Leonard is right, we don't need this and should stop it before it starts.......

Sam

I agree partly-- the law is bogus, and just because someone's knee goes out doesn't mean they're overweight. (My dog is old, and one of her knees blew out. She's not overweight either ^__~) However, if someone is obese and their knee blows out, it's a good chance. A quick medical check-up will give a pretty good explanation. If you have multiple health complications due to obesity and/or smoking, and refuse to quit either habit, should I have to pay for you? Uh, I'd rather not. I can't control what you do, so why should I have to pay for it? Paying a little extra on taxes for obesity or smoking would motivate people to quit and help pay for the people that don't.

Also, that was a little harsh about the government. Don't get me wrong-- I don't want them messing around in my personal life either. But if a family member of yours was murdured, you'd be begging them to get involved. God said that the people in the government were placed there by Him, so we have to show them a degree of respect. (I'm not saying that Hitler or Saddam should have been kept in power, either ^__~) You don't have to let them control their life... just let them do their jobs. I like mailmen and firefighters. :P

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

Akiko said, quote: "Also, that was a little harsh about the government. Don't get me wrong-- I don't want them messing around in my personal life either. But if a family member of yours was murdured, you'd be begging them to get involved. God said that the people in the government were placed there by Him, so we have to show them a degree of respect. (I'm not saying that Hitler or Saddam should have been kept in power, either ^__~) You don't have to let them control their life... just let them do their jobs. I like mailmen and firefighters. "

Well, I've got to take issue with some of what you said, just please don't think I am bagging you personally.

You are telling Otherone that he would "be begging the government to get involved" if a family member of his was murdered. You are assuming a lot here, you don't know whether or not he actually would have that attitude. We don't all have the idea that we should "go running to the government" when something bad happens, I don't think I would. Why compound a problem by getting government (here I am thinking of our government, I can't speak for yours) - with their associated reputation for incompetence - involved?

You can get miffed about the above and tell me that I am being "completely over the top" with this attitude, but next: God said that the people in the government were placed there by Him, so we have to show them a degree of respect".

The fact is: God most certainly DID NOT say that, and it is an incredibly dangerous idea to either believe this or say it. And as for "(I'm not saying that Hitler or Saddam should have ...etc." Yes, you are saying that, how can you not be? How can you expect people to differentiate between "which leaders were placed there by God, and which were not"?

Did the Bible say (something like - this is just an example): "God has placed GW Bush in power, but not Condoleeza Rice, Donald Rumsfeld but not John Kerry, Tony Blair but not David Cameron or Moses but not David, Pharaoh "A" but not Pharaoh "B"?

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

bump