Marnie

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Toyota Motor Corp. is developing a fail-safe system for cars that detects drunken drivers and automatically shuts the vehicle down if sensors pick up signs of excessive alcohol consumption, a news report said Wednesday.

Cars fitted with the detection system will not start if sweat sensors in the driving wheel detect high levels of alcohol in the driver's bloodstream, according to a report carried by the mass-circulation daily, Asahi Shimbun.

The system could also kick in if the sensors detect abnormal steering, or if a special camera shows that the driver's pupils are not in focus. The car is then slowed to a halt, the report said.

The world's No. 2 automaker hopes to fit cars with the system by the end of 2009, according to the report. Calls to Toyota's headquarters in Nagoya rang unanswered on Wednesday, a public holiday.

Nissan Motor Co., another Japanese car manufacturer, has already been experimenting with breathalyzer-like devices that could detect if a driver was drunken. Similar technologies, such as alcohol ignition interlocks, are in use in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Concerns over drunken driving have surged in Japan following a series of alcohol-related accidents last year. In August, a drunken driver collided with another vehicle carrying a family of five, plunging them off a bridge and killing three children.

The incident prompted stepped-up roadside spot checks by police, who also plan to stiffen penalties for drunken driving.

**So, does this story bother anybody else???

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I think the car may shut down for people who are falling asleep at the wheel as well.

I'm not sure what roads in Japan are like, but I'm trying to picture the affects of a car in the middle of the beltway (4-lane highway - 55+mph crowded driving) suddenly shutting down. Not good.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

Yeah, you would have to work the kinks out.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

I mean if you don't like the system...don't buy the car. I think it's a really interesting idea. If they can figure out about highway driving etc. then this could do really good things.

I just dont think your car should be telling you what you can and can't do and it should never, ever talk to you. I mean, I had my mechanic disconnect all the bells and whistles and buzzing sounds. The more you complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain. Plumbing 101.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

I just dont think your car should be telling you what you can and can't do and it should never, ever talk to you. I mean, I had my mechanic disconnect all the bells and whistles and buzzing sounds. The more you complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain. Plumbing 101.

I remember when I was a teen my parents bought a used 1985 Olds Regency we had no idea it was a talking car! Dad left the keys in the car (Mom was still in there) and when he got out, we heard "The keys are in the ignition." We were shocked!!! It would tell you "the headlights are on" and other things. Dad let our pastor drive it one day and then his wife drove. Brother Andrews was laughing and said "if this thing says 'Brenda, you're speeding, please pull over' then I'm jumping out!" :laugh:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

I remember when I was a teen my parents bought a used 1985 Olds Regency we had no idea it was a talking car! Dad left the keys in the car (Mom was still in there) and when he got out, we heard "The keys are in the ignition." We were shocked!!! It would tell you "the headlights are on" and other things. Dad let our pastor drive it one day and then his wife drove. Brother Andrews was laughing and said "if this thing says 'Brenda, you're speeding, please pull over' then I'm jumping out!" :laugh:

Wonderful idea for car thieves. Here's the scenario: You go to a petrol station, put petrol in your car, leave the keys in the ignition - as people often do in this situation - and go into the "shop" (or whatever) to pay for the petrol. I am an opportunist thief and am walking past the car when I hear it say "the keys are in the ignition", I get in and take off quicker than you can do anything about it.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

This SURE DOES bother me. I think I'll stick to my old Holden and never get one of these "control-freak cars".

There is something "creepy" about being dictated to and restrained by a mechanical device that is designed primarily to be controlled by you.

You said you had the "bells and whistles" disconnected. This would be my first thought, but I have read that a lot of mechanics won't do this because if they do, it invalidates any motor insurance you have. If you are considering buying a new car, I guess you should go through the "fine print" of the "owner's manual" with a "fine toothed comb".

Often there is something like "this information may be available to the following:...........(including) "law enforcement officers).

This SURE DOES bother me. I think I'll stick to my old Holden and never get one of these "control-freak cars".

There is something "creepy" about being dictated to and restrained by a mechanical device that is designed primarily to be controlled by you.

You said you had the "bells and whistles" disconnected. This would be my first thought, but I have read that a lot of mechanics won't do this because if they do, it invalidates any motor insurance you have. If you are considering buying a new car, I guess you should go through the "fine print" of the "owner's manual" with a "fine toothed comb".

Often there is something like "this information may be available to the following:...........(including) "law enforcement officers).

This is true, although it doesn't affect the liability part of the policy. I should have said he turned off the optional dings and buzzers. I, myself, found the little noise makers under the dash and pulled the plug on them.

Toyota Motor Corp. is developing a fail-safe system for cars that detects drunken drivers and automatically shuts the vehicle down if sensors pick up signs of excessive alcohol consumption, a news report said Wednesday.

Cars fitted with the detection system will not start if sweat sensors in the driving wheel detect high levels of alcohol in the driver's bloodstream, according to a report carried by the mass-circulation daily, Asahi Shimbun.

The system could also kick in if the sensors detect abnormal steering, or if a special camera shows that the driver's pupils are not in focus. The car is then slowed to a halt, the report said.

The world's No. 2 automaker hopes to fit cars with the system by the end of 2009, according to the report. Calls to Toyota's headquarters in Nagoya rang unanswered on Wednesday, a public holiday.

Nissan Motor Co., another Japanese car manufacturer, has already been experimenting with breathalyzer-like devices that could detect if a driver was drunken. Similar technologies, such as alcohol ignition interlocks, are in use in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Concerns over drunken driving have surged in Japan following a series of alcohol-related accidents last year. In August, a drunken driver collided with another vehicle carrying a family of five, plunging them off a bridge and killing three children.

The incident prompted stepped-up roadside spot checks by police, who also plan to stiffen penalties for drunken driving.

**So, does this story bother anybody else???

It sounds dangerous to say the least. Australia at the moment is going through a deadly wave of drink driving with nearly every night on the National news someone or 2 or 3 is killed from excessive speed"dangerous driving usually due to alcohol. The ages of many of the drivers are between 16 to 25. That's young guys' in their prime. It has to stop.