• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  183
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,892
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/07/1985

That's a very nice post you've got there, sir.

0. Quite. It's really a bit sad, isn't it?

Indeed.

1. Well, that all depends on how you think of it. Did God relinquish His power, or is He merely not using it? Our free will doesn't really impede on God's power. In fact, the Bible records cases of people being possessed by demons and losing their free will to the spirit. That certainly puts more power in favor of spiritual beings instead of in the free will of man.

You're right; it would be more accurate to say he's not using it. If he constantly corrected our actions that wouldn't exactly be free will. Interesting idea about spiritual possession.

2. Again, that all depends on how you define omniscience. Is it possible to know something that hasn't happened?

If the universe is deterministic, yes. I am not sure to what extent it is, though. At one time I was convinced, like Einstein, everything is utterly predictable according to physical laws. But quantum physics seems to tell us otherwise, at least at the moment.

3. Omnipotent, I can see where you're coming from. Where does omnibenevolence fit into your statement?

If God corrected our actions, even our evils, he would be abridging our free will. So although it might seem sub-benevolent to let the evils of the world unfold, it is necessary. His hands are tied.

The main argument I can think of now for that is that we were created in the IMAGE of God, not really God-like. We must work to be godly, while our image is given to us. With sin in our lives, we're not God-like at all.

Agreed.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

That's a very nice post you've got there, sir.

0. Quite. It's really a bit sad, isn't it?

Indeed.

1. Well, that all depends on how you think of it. Did God relinquish His power, or is He merely not using it? Our free will doesn't really impede on God's power. In fact, the Bible records cases of people being possessed by demons and losing their free will to the spirit. That certainly puts more power in favor of spiritual beings instead of in the free will of man.

You're right; it would be more accurate to say he's not using it. If he constantly corrected our actions that wouldn't exactly be free will. Interesting idea about spiritual possession.

2. Again, that all depends on how you define omniscience. Is it possible to know something that hasn't happened?

If the universe is deterministic, yes. I am not sure to what extent it is, though. At one time I was convinced, like Einstein, everything is utterly predictable according to physical laws. But quantum physics seems to tell us otherwise, at least at the moment.

3. Omnipotent, I can see where you're coming from. Where does omnibenevolence fit into your statement?

If God corrected our actions, even our evils, he would be abridging our free will. So although it might seem sub-benevolent to let the evils of the world unfold, it is necessary. His hands are tied.

The main argument I can think of now for that is that we were created in the IMAGE of God, not really God-like. We must work to be godly, while our image is given to us. With sin in our lives, we're not God-like at all.

Agreed.

3. Sub-benevolent seems a bit of a stretch to me. All the evils of the world are our own doing and of our own free will, which He lets us have. He offers us His way, which would essentially keep men from doing wrong intentionally and encourage good for all men. He also has shown that He plans to make everything bad that happens to us turn into something to make us better or into something good. In a way, that's not only benevolent, but that's actively kind.