• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

There is nothing meaningless in the words that the Holy Spirit uses in the voice of the child of God who He speaks through. It is powerful prayer that even the devil himself is confounded with. So be it, Lord!

The Word of God speaks of tongues as a means of edification of the believer. It so happens. there is no denying it.

Excuse me Axe I hate to make a request seeing that you're engaged in "battle" but I would like to read some supporting

scripture that talks about the "secret prayer language."

Any way you can let a third party in on it?

Thank you and God bless. :whistling:

1 Corinthians 14:2

2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

1 Corinthians 14:14-15

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.

1 Corinthians 14:27-18

27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.

Each verse I listed shows that tongues are for devotional prayer language.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

A spiritual language is something I've prayed for in the past but never experienced. Anyone care to describe what it was like when you first spoke in tongues?

Riley, I can only give you my experience on a personal level: in the mid 1980's while on a specularly assignment for the company I work for; and being away from home a distance of about 1,400 miles; someone came into our back yard and was making all kinds of noise. It was 2:37 in the morning on a moonless night when my wife was awaken by this activity. Her being a fearless Chickasaw Indian and having no fear to the point of no common sense she arose from bed and started looking out the window to see what all the noise was about.

At this same time I was awaken from a sound sleep at 2:37AM and literally ejected into the floor flat on my face speaking in syllables that I could not understand....... I also was totally powerless to stop, along with being totally unable to get off my face. It lasted almost ten minutes; as it turned out the time that my wife was getting dressed to go outside and see what was going on.. (remember that lack of common sense sometimes)..... Just as she reached for the kitchen door handle she heard that voice in her head tell her to not do that...... understand that it is extremely unlike her to stop at the door.

My non English speech stopped after the ten minute or so interval and I knew that my family was in trouble and continued praying in English for about 20 minutes..... after I felt they were ok I checked with my wife and she told me of the timing being so exact by us both checking the clock.

Understand that I grew up being taught that tongues did not exist and I had no wish or even thought of being involved with it, so I don't mind telling you that as it started and for several minutes I was totally terrified of what was happening to me.

I will say that it has happened dealing with other people over the years who were in pearl in some way, and sometimes just driving down the road I can just sing sort of that makes me very happy.

So to all that read scripture and tell me that it isn't so........... you'll never convince me of that. You will also never convince me that my actions did not have some effect on what my wife was doing.

Praying in tongues is between me and the Spirit and has nothing to do with other people, very very few people even know that I am involved....

I could tell you of other intercessory stories, but they concern others and It is not my place to share their situations that needed help.

Is it necessary.... no it isn't, but it is. Can God handle the earth and all it's dealings without my help and interferance..... yep he surely can.... so why does he occasionally have me interfere in the spiritual lives of other people........ I don't have a clue, but I'm always available when it happens..... and it happened as late as yesterday.

Sam

Thanks, Sam! I wasn't raised in a Christian home but my first experience in church too was with a denomination that believes that the gifts of the Spirit have ceased. I started my Christian journey out like a lot of people, searching the scriptures feverishly for all the knowledge of God I could obtain. This went on for some time (and continues today). Anyway, I began to come across scriptures that just didn't seem to line up with some of the teaching that I was receiving. I ignored this for a while--until a friend invited me to a Bible study being led by what many would consider a "Charismatic" teacher. It was through attending this study that it began to dawn on me that the reason for my confusion was this: Scripture isn't supposed to line up the teaching we receive. The teaching we receive should line up with scripture. Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is that my backgound, analytical nature and quite possibly some lingering unbelief have made it difficult to obtain the H.S. baptism. The reason for my question here was simply to gain a little insight into what that experience is like and maybe gain understanding of anything else that might hinder my ability to receive this blessing. Bless you for your testimony-very encouraging and insightful! :whistling:

Riley

Riley, I know people who have a very very close walk with the Holy Spirit and I would consider them as close as anyone and they do not speak in tongues...... while I do have a prayer tongue, I do not go along with the so called "baptised in the Holy Spirit" and must speak in tongues. Not everyone speaks in tongues and everyone who is saved has the Holy Spirit. So don't be bothered if it does not come to you. There are other things, and none are more or less important.

Sam

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

There is nothing meaningless in the words that the Holy Spirit uses in the voice of the child of God who He speaks through. It is powerful prayer that even the devil himself is confounded with. So be it, Lord!

The Word of God speaks of tongues as a means of edification of the believer. It so happens. there is no denying it.

Excuse me Axe I hate to make a request seeing that you're engaged in "battle" but I would like to read some supporting

scripture that talks about the "secret prayer language."

Any way you can let a third party in on it?

Thank you and God bless. :noidea:

1 Corinthians 14:2

2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

1 Corinthians 14:14-15

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.

1 Corinthians 14:27-18

27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.

Each verse I listed shows that tongues are for devotional prayer language.

Excellent! :noidea: Why didn't I just post that? Good going, josh! :whistling:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1992

yeah...i dont't understand how tongues works...like someone talks adn everyone hears it in their own language? how can someone talk like that? i just don't get.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

yeah...i dont't understand how tongues works...like someone talks adn everyone hears it in their own language? how can someone talk like that? i just don't get.

No...not everyone. In the ministry gift of tongues, God works through a second gift---interpretation, so all will get the message.

That is a type of tongues, I've heard stories of, and heard it's still around, but never experienced it, or seen it used before

There are 2 types of tongues I have witnessed, and experienced

Tongues with an interpriter in a church, which is seriously powerful, I like to call it Prophetic tongues

and also a devotional prayer language, which actualy has helped me alot, kin dof like my spirit praying directly to God, and it helps keeps my focus on him more, in a way it's kind of like a spiritual vent I guess you can call it that, it's a prayer language for devotion.

A spiritual language is something I've prayed for in the past but never experienced. Anyone care to describe what it was like when you first spoke in tongues?

Riley, I can only give you my experience on a personal level: in the mid 1980's while on a specularly assignment for the company I work for; and being away from home a distance of about 1,400 miles; someone came into our back yard and was making all kinds of noise. It was 2:37 in the morning on a moonless night when my wife was awaken by this activity. Her being a fearless Chickasaw Indian and having no fear to the point of no common sense she arose from bed and started looking out the window to see what all the noise was about.

At this same time I was awaken from a sound sleep at 2:37AM and literally ejected into the floor flat on my face speaking in syllables that I could not understand....... I also was totally powerless to stop, along with being totally unable to get off my face. It lasted almost ten minutes; as it turned out the time that my wife was getting dressed to go outside and see what was going on.. (remember that lack of common sense sometimes)..... Just as she reached for the kitchen door handle she heard that voice in her head tell her to not do that...... understand that it is extremely unlike her to stop at the door.

My non English speech stopped after the ten minute or so interval and I knew that my family was in trouble and continued praying in English for about 20 minutes..... after I felt they were ok I checked with my wife and she told me of the timing being so exact by us both checking the clock.

Understand that I grew up being taught that tongues did not exist and I had no wish or even thought of being involved with it, so I don't mind telling you that as it started and for several minutes I was totally terrified of what was happening to me.

I will say that it has happened dealing with other people over the years who were in pearl in some way, and sometimes just driving down the road I can just sing sort of that makes me very happy.

So to all that read scripture and tell me that it isn't so........... you'll never convince me of that. You will also never convince me that my actions did not have some effect on what my wife was doing.

Praying in tongues is between me and the Spirit and has nothing to do with other people, very very few people even know that I am involved....

I could tell you of other intercessory stories, but they concern others and It is not my place to share their situations that needed help.

Is it necessary.... no it isn't, but it is. Can God handle the earth and all it's dealings without my help and interferance..... yep he surely can.... so why does he occasionally have me interfere in the spiritual lives of other people........ I don't have a clue, but I'm always available when it happens..... and it happened as late as yesterday.

Sam

Thanks, Sam! I wasn't raised in a Christian home but my first experience in church too was with a denomination that believes that the gifts of the Spirit have ceased. I started my Christian journey out like a lot of people, searching the scriptures feverishly for all the knowledge of God I could obtain. This went on for some time (and continues today). Anyway, I began to come across scriptures that just didn't seem to line up with some of the teaching that I was receiving. I ignored this for a while--until a friend invited me to a Bible study being led by what many would consider a "Charismatic" teacher. It was through attending this study that it began to dawn on me that the reason for my confusion was this: Scripture isn't supposed to line up the teaching we receive. The teaching we receive should line up with scripture. Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is that my backgound, analytical nature and quite possibly some lingering unbelief have made it difficult to obtain the H.S. baptism. The reason for my question here was simply to gain a little insight into what that experience is like and maybe gain understanding of anything else that might hinder my ability to receive this blessing. Bless you for your testimony-very encouraging and insightful! :cool:

Riley

Riley, I know people who have a very very close walk with the Holy Spirit and I would consider them as close as anyone and they do not speak in tongues...... while I do have a prayer tongue, I do not go along with the so called "baptised in the Holy Spirit" and must speak in tongues. Not everyone speaks in tongues and everyone who is saved has the Holy Spirit. So don't be bothered if it does not come to you. There are other things, and none are more or less important.

Sam

I fully agree with you Sam, Though I believe baptism of the Holy Spirit, is the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, I don't believe at all that everyone will recieve tongues. If you read 1Corinthians 12, it lays it our pretty bluntly, to each is given something different. Not all will recieve tongues.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

It felt like words that wanted to come out from within and formed in my head as I spoke them. They also feel heavy, the words, sometimes. Feels like saying them is glueing something made of iron to something permanently.

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Moved from Controversial Topics Forum to Doctrinal Issue Forum, so OP can post in the topic (one needs 100 posts to be able to post to Controversial Forum)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

For me, tongues was not the first spiritual gift God blessed me with, interpretation of tongues was. With interpretation of tongues, I just knew what was being prayed about. Sometimes a word or a sentence just jumped out at me. I never asked for it.

I never asked for tongues either. My prayers were just for God to bless me with His presence and kept asking for more of Him. Curiously I never was worried about what God would give me or do with me. I trusted Him absolutely, still do.

One day while standing in a circle and singing songs to the Lord, I had an overwhelming feeling, as if the Holy Spirit was rumbling around deep in my spirit. I liken it now to the Holy Spirit flowing out of my belly as the Scriptures say. I didn't know what to say but felt like I had to speak or sing something. Finally I just let my mouth go unto the Lord, and I began singing in tongues. It was a deep worshipful moment. I've been singing to the Lord and praying to the Lord in tongues ever since. Sometimes, that is the only thing that gives my soul rest when I'm troubled.

I wouldn't worry too much about receiving tongues. Better to concentrate on having a deep relationship with the Lord. God will give you the gifts He wants you to have when He deems you are ready. In the meantime, adore Him with your whole being. You can trust God. He is trustworthy.