• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

Eisegesis vs. Exegesis.

Often in the church, lay people will hear these two words and simply raise an eyebrow about what is meant. After all, they do not have the luxury of attending seminaries that teach these confusing concepts. These concepts, however, dictate how we read the Bible and apply it. The church has done a disservice to people by not teaching them the meaning of these concepts or how to apply these concepts in their daily reading of scripture. Though I cannot fix this with one post, I do want to, hopefully, set us back on the right path. Before this can be done, we must understand what each word means.

Exegesis is
the application within interpretation that

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

That is the best post I've seen from you yet.

Well done. :24:

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Not bad AK. Not bad at all. :24:

Guest shiloh357

A very well written, informative and expert coverage of the topic. This is so needed in the church today.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Good post

oc

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I agree, great post AK.............I'm not disagreeing with you except, everybody can't do it. I'm not stupid by any means and can usually figure out after a read or 2 what you and Shiloh and some of the other brains on here are talking about.. :emot-handshake:

But we are all gifted with different things, to some study and books are so easy, yet these same people after reading a book about it couldn't fix a busted toaster, while someone else could fix it with their eyes closed but never crack a book. Most are somewhere inbetween..........ME for instance.

I think both sides, the mind side and the muscle side have something important to bring to the discussion and should be listened to. I like knowing the different meanings that can be understood from a verse, but sometimes the simple one is the most elegant.

I'm editing this to add: And sometimes the simple meaning so totally misses the mark as to have nothing to do with what the text is actually saying.

:24:

Edited by Silentprayer

Thus, Christ is saying the church in Laodicea makes Him sick.

Is this the only message we are to take away from Rev. 3:15-16?

15. I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.

16. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

There's no other message there other then the church makes Him sick?

We should just ignore this passage and move on to the next?

Is there nothing that can be learned from these 2 verses?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

One of *the* best essays I've EVER read! :21:

How does exegesis work with hermeneutics?

15. I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.

16. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

Man, did you read the essay in it's entirety? This topic is not about Laodicea. Not only that, even if it were, you are approaching the text with presumptions and strawmen (i.e. "there's no other...?" , "we should just ignore...?"....these statements have all twisted what AK actually said).

People who actually have a desire to learn and grow will make the effort to approach scripture with proper exegesis. But it seems that people who are lazy, or who just like to argue will take the other approach. I'm beginning to think that large numbers of people have issues with reading comprehension, too. And I'm not saying that as a joke. I'm really starting to wonder...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

Eisegesis vs. Exegesis.

Often in the church, lay people will hear these two words and simply raise an eyebrow about what is meant. After all, they do not have the luxury of attending seminaries that teach these confusing concepts. These concepts, however, dictate how we read the Bible and apply it. The church has done a disservice to people by not teaching them the meaning of these concepts or how to apply these concepts in their daily reading of scripture. Though I cannot fix this with one post, I do want to, hopefully, set us back on the right path. Before this can be done, we must understand what each word means.

Exegesis is
the application within interpretation that

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

One of *the* best essays I've EVER read! :emot-hug:

How does exegesis work with hermeneutics?

Man, did you read the essay in it's entirety? This topic is not about Laodicea. Not only that, even if it were, you are approaching the text with presumptions and strawmen (i.e. "there's no other...?" , "we should just ignore...?"....these statements have all twisted what AK actually said).

People who actually have a desire to learn and grow will make the effort to approach scripture with proper exegesis. But it seems that people who are lazy, or who just like to argue will take the other approach. I'm beginning to think that large numbers of people have issues with reading comprehension, too. And I'm not saying that as a joke. I'm really starting to wonder...

:emot-hug: