Dr. Gene Scott

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Just wondering if you guys have ever watched him; and if so, what is your opinion?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

That man was a real piece of work. Straa-ange.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

'DarkNebulaWelder'

Just wondering if you guys have ever watched him; and if so, what is your opinion?

From the last I heard Gene Scott had passed away and his wife is now taken over in his place and running things.

Yes, I have seen this man way back before he had gotten big and he was way worse back in those days especially when it came to the word of God. The man was pathetic and was a false teacher all the way to the core in my book. I'll never understand how he got such a following as he did. Just the way he conducted himself alone should have turned folks away from him.

OC

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I do not recall ever hearing the name :thumbsup:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  970

Any relation to Great Scott? :thumbsup:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I remember the first time I saw Gene Scott. He came on during the middle of the night on one of the local tv stations. I thought he was a comedian. He was smoking a cigar and making fun of ministers. I saw him on there with a puppet that was supposed to be Jimmy Swaggart and he had him saying "You're going to hell," over and over and mocking. Then on another occassion, he was making fun of the story of Baalam's ass. As I said, I thought he was a comedian who was sacreligious.

Then I came across his show another time and it became apparent he was a serious minister as he was teaching from the Bible. I was watching him on one show trying to get people to send in money, and he had his group singing the same gospel song over and over again and telling people that he wasn't going to teach until they sent in enough money. Instead, they would have to listen to the singers repeat the same song over and over.

We had a controversy took place with regard to his show one night when a person sent in a donation for $100 and said he was a baptist minister and that he liked Gene Scott because he didn't preach against sin. The problem was, it wasn't the Baptist minister who sent in the donation, and the tv station wound up giving him free air time to let people know he actually did stand against sin.

I have also heard Gene Scott on short wave. He has a station that broadcasts his program to the world 24 hours a day. I heard him playing hard rock music on the program one night. He had bought a church in California, and was telling people if they wanted to come to hear him speak, they needed to make reservations. If they showed up without one, they would be turned away.

The last time I saw his tv show, his wife was doing the teaching. Gene Scott had died of a heart attack a couple of years ago, and after running reruns for awhile, his wife took over the ministry. The program I saw of her teaching was not nearly as bad as some of the things Gene Scott had been saying, but then, I only saw a few minutes of the show. My feeling is that the program is likely still off in left field, but I don't get the program in my area, and don't listen to the short wave radio very often so I really don't know bad off Mrs. Scott is.

Hey, Butero;

Yes, Gene Scott's wife still leads the ministry, which I really have a problem with, because I am one of those old-fashioned Christians who believes that women should not pastor churches.

I have heard her speak, and find her messages more like theology lessons than sermons. I do think that she is a smart lady, and that her teaching is, for the most part, sound, but I personally feel that her ministry is more adapted to a seminary than to a pulpit.

It's funny, because back in the late 80's, when I was just starting college, I was majoring in theology, and learned that Mr. Scott had actually been considered for the position of Dean at my school (Vanguard University). Obviously, he didn't get the position, and it was at this point that he bought the church in Southern California...although I'm not sure if he actually bought it, or just started ministering from it. I believe it's tied to some university in downtown L.A.

I have listened to Mr. Scott's program, and must admit, he's one of the most Biblically and Hebraically knowledgable people that I have ever come across, although his theology IS pretty twisted.

I remember one message in the middle of which someone coughed, at which point he went on a 20-min. tyrade about people who smoke...while he himself was smoking a big stogie. He basically said that, if you can't smoke without hacking, that you are in bondage, then quoted Romans in which Paul states that all things are lawful, but not helpful. He then started going off on the people who criticize his habit, and said it was okay for him because he wasn't in bondage.

On another occasion, he started going off on people who make reservations to come to the service and don't show up. If I recall correctly, he basically said that God frowns upon it.....and yes, he DOES play secular music during his programs. He plays a lot of Elvis and Buddy Holly...and I remember Him playing some clip of him riding a horse, and another of him bicycling with his girlfriend, for 15 min. at a time.

As I said before, the man is extremely knowledgable, but a little egocentric and theologically strange, as far as I'm concerned. My Old Testament theology professor in college told me that he used to work with him, and that the man was highly intelligent, and Scripturally knowledgable, but opinionated, and difficult to work with.

I have learned from the man, but more on history than application.

Edited by DarkNebulaWelder

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I've seen a handful of his programs on channel 56 or something here in CA. I've always heard nothing but negative comments from other Christians regarding Gene Scott. But personally, I've never heard him teach anything heretical. He's definitely not your cookie-cutter, holier-than-though preacher with a permanent smile on his face. He comes across as angry and rude a lot of times, but I believe he definitely has a heart for the Lord. The only objectionable thing I've seen on his show is his use of female models in somewhat sexual contexts (dancing, if I remember correctly). For the uninitiated, Gene Scott always has these video clips in between the actual sermons, which usually consist of some scenery, or some footage of him riding a bike or some other odd thing. I think once he was sitting on a chair with a couple of girls dancing around him, or something. He's also been known to throw in a cuss word or two.

The thing is, Gene doesn't try too hard to mask his imperfections, which he probably should've, for the sake of the weaker Christian as to not cause them to stumble. He's very straightforward, especially when it comes to asking for donations, which I personally think is the right way to go about asking for money (he says things along the lines of, "if you don't send money there won't be a program"). But from what I've seen of his sermons, he is very reverend towards God and he's a very intelligent man. He's just not your typical Ned Flanders type of pastor, but I believe that he is a true believer and he's not a heretic or apostate.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

His wife is a pastor.

TO ME, that is a no-no. ... 3xR0c|<stAr

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

never heard of him

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,026

I found a video of Dr. Scott on youtube the other day. He was cussing up a storm at somebody about money. I would post the video but I believe the mods would remove it, though the cuss words were bleeped out.