• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/07/1987

Systemstrike7

Carbon dating has shown that the Earth is millions if not billions of years old and if this is not the case then God put old things on a new Earth.

Carbon dating can't be used on objects more than about 60,000 years old. The method used to determine the age of the earth was Uranium-Lead dating :)

Thank you for the correction. :thumbsup:

I get to take a geology course as an elective this up-coming session and hopefully I'll get to dive into some of this stuff. I'm pretty pumped...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  08/07/1987

forrestkc

Actually, probably yes. One could look at the rock and fairly easily tell whether it was igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic. Then look at surrounding road cuts or eroded areas to see at what level in the local geologic table it was probably found in, and from that get a very rough estimate of its age.

Due to factors such as the changing molten surface of the ancient earth compounded with billions of years of erosion and crustal decay how could you (a non-scientist) tell the difference between a 1.8 billon year old metamorphic rock and say a 4.1 billion year old metamorphic rock simply by looking at "surrounding road cuts"? Can you really

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

If I gave you a rock to examine, would you be able to tell how old it is? :24:

Actually, probably yes. One could look at the rock and fairly easily tell whether it was igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic. Then look at surrounding road cuts or eroded areas to see at what level in the local geologic table it was probably found in, and from that get a very rough estimate of its age.

:wub:

Forget scripture. I'm now following forrestkc.

:thumbsup:

So many people put so much stock in guess work.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Anyone who really cares to search this out can go to icr.org. They have the best research on the matter. I have a B.S. but I'm not up to date on the scientific studies.

Hi all.

Thought you may find the following link Interesting. A engraving of a dinosaur on Bishop Bell's tomb Carlisle Cathedral UK dated 1496. Surely Dinosaurs wern't discovered untill the 18th century?

check out the site and ask yourselves why the authorities don't want anyone to know about this tomb. You would think it would be used as a attraction to get more visitors in.

I found it very intersting.

dinosaur on 1496 tomb.

The article points to the Bible stating the Great Flood nearly wiped out the dinosaurs. Where exactly is that passage in the Bible again?? :emot-hug:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Is there any possibility that the matter used to create earth is indeed millions of years old yet they were not assembled, as earth, until 6,000 or 40,000 years ago (or pick whatever popular number you prefer). Thus radiometric dating shows a truthful number but not the truthful age of the earth?

Is there any possibility that the matter used to create earth is indeed millions of years old yet they were not assembled, as earth, until 6,000 or 40,000 years ago (or pick whatever popular number you prefer). Thus radiometric dating shows a truthful number but not the truthful age of the earth?

But why would god create the matter of the universe and then come back later to create the earth? Why would he create an earth that looks older than it is? Was he trying to deceive us?

(By the way, the dates were taken from meteorites, not the earth itself.)

I haven't got that far with the thought. I was curious if anyone could clarify if it was possible.

But why would god create the matter of the universe and then come back later to create the earth? Why would he create an earth that looks older than it is? Was he trying to deceive us?

Undone has a viable theory there. One that never occurred to ME, truthfully, but viable nonetheless. Atheistreview, oh misguided one, let me give you a clue. God does not ever try to decieve his children; why would He? We can't understand most of His actions anyway. But they are always honest and in our best interests, even if we don't agree with them. :P

Undone has a viable theory there. One that never occurred to ME, truthfully, but viable nonetheless. Atheistreview, oh misguided one, let me give you a clue. God does not ever try to decieve his children; why would He? We can't understand most of His actions anyway. But they are always honest and in our best interests, even if we don't agree with them. :whistling:

That was my point. "God does not ever try to decieve his children", which is why it doesn't make sense that he would make the earth look older than it is. It seems like a very unparsimonious answer to the question.

Okay...that aside, is the radiometric dating question possible? I'm not familiar with the radiometric dating process enough to rule this scenario out or say it's possible. Do you know? Anybody else out there familiar enough with the process to make an informed response?

Undone has a viable theory there. One that never occurred to ME, truthfully, but viable nonetheless. Atheistreview, oh misguided one, let me give you a clue. God does not ever try to decieve his children; why would He? We can't understand most of His actions anyway. But they are always honest and in our best interests, even if we don't agree with them. :)

That was my point. "God does not ever try to decieve his children", which is why it doesn't make sense that he would make the earth look older than it is. It seems like a very unparsimonious answer to the question.

I'm not exactly sure why you would call my answer unparsimonious. I was giving you an honest answer; would you rather it be parsimonious? :)

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

without faith it is impossible to please God, for he who comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder for those that dilligently seek him hebrews 11:6

the bible does not give a date to how long the universe was here, or that how long the earth was here, it says the earth lay void, but does not at all give a time, for creation it gives a time, but the time in hebrew :"yom" could also mean a long time period. Genesis does fit with the observable evidence.