DarkNebulaWelder

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Excellent, excellent article here on the 1 Tim 2 passage for those interested!

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/2007/04/...ion-by-jon.html

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist

"A woman to teach or exercise authority over a man", the same as saying . .

It is not good for a horse to live in a stable all of the time. The horse must be allowed to run free.

Am I refering to one specific horse and one specific stable?

Did I mention one?

No, it's a general statement. It is not good for a horse to live in a stable all of the time. The horse must be allowed to run free.

American English is a tricky language, I know, but it is not that difficult.

"A woman to teach or exercise authority over a man", the same as saying . .

It is not good for a horse to live in a stable all of the time. The horse must be allowed to run free.

Am I refering to one specific horse and one specific stable?

Did I mention one?

No, it's a general statement. It is not good for a horse to live in a stable all of the time. The horse must be allowed to run free.

American English is a tricky language, I know, but it is not that difficult.

There is no comparison. The grammar of the passage is important but so is the context.

I understand your point Biblicist which has been gone over here in this thread.

The context of the passage will either support or deny the interpretation you give to it. What's the context of the passage? It's false teachers and false doctrine. Paul was stopping false teaching and there is no mention in the context of the stopping of women (plural) from teaching correct biblical doctrine (which is good for the body).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but most of the arguments in this link have been answered here at Worthy. At first, I thought to necro some old posts to show where many of the issues raised in this link have been discussed already, but instead I think I will post a good treatment of 1 Timothy 2:8-15:

Women in the Church: 1 Timothy 2:8-15

Part 2

Part 3

One little caveat: I'm not sure I agree with him on 2:15 referring to the birth of Christ (maybe I'm wrong though). Nevertheless, his treatment is excellent overall.

-Neopatriarch

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but most of the arguments in this link have been answered here at Worthy. At first, I thought to necro some old posts to show where many of the issues raised in this link have been discussed already, but instead I think I will post a good treatment of 1 Timothy 2:8-15:

Part 2

Part 3

One little caveat: I'm not sure I agree with him on 2:15 referring to the birth of Christ (maybe I'm wrong though). Nevertheless, his treatment is excellent overall.

-Neopatriarch

LOL Neo, this thread could run for two years and never have all the concerns "answered". Biblical scholars have studied 2:15 for years and still there is no absolute agreement on it. Same with the rest of the chapter. And just putting forth party lines doesn't help. I don't consider that real discussion. In reality these issues are difficult to have real discussion on. There are always those who have to hurl their views and slash at anyone who disagrees.

And this is why discussion should continue. Not talking about it, never settled any problems in my family. :emot-pray:

Part 2

Part 3

-Neopatriarch

Where has the author provided a supporting context of his interpretation of 1 Tim 2, of the stopping of teaching correct biblical doctrine? This point is one of the missing links in the discussion of this thread that has been centered around and repeatedly in circles.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Where has the author provided a supporting context of his interpretation of 1 Tim 2, of the stopping of teaching correct biblical doctrine? This point is one of the missing links in the discussion of this thread that has been centered around and repeatedly in circles.

I've noticed that egalitarians here like to use the phrase "teach correct biblical doctrine" a lot. What exactly is the point of this? It seems a little redundant since if a doctrine is biblical, it is correct. Is there such a thing as incorrect biblical doctrine?

Suppose a nonbeliever is teaching some correct biblical doctrine. I'm curious, would you give him ten minutes in your church's pulpit? Would you let him teach from there every other Sunday? Maybe he could teach a Sunday school class, right?

-Neopatriarch

I've noticed that egalitarians here like to use the phrase "teach correct biblical doctrine" a lot. What exactly is the point of this? It seems a little redundant since if a doctrine is biblical, it is correct. Is there such a thing as incorrect biblical doctrine?

Suppose a nonbeliever is teaching some correct biblical doctrine. I'm curious, would you give him ten minutes in your church's pulpit? Would you let him teach from there every other Sunday? Maybe he could teach a Sunday school class, right?

-Neopatriarch

:huh:

Pretty much everyone is aware that 1 Timothy chapter one is about those who were teaching incorrect doctrine. Yet, gender hierarchalists want to say that women may not teach correct Biblical doctrine to men. So Firehill is just wanting to know how that is achieved from the texts.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Saints,

It seems like every thread thay merely mentions women, at some point turns into a discussion of women in the church lately. We have had to close several of these. Let me just make a general statement. Please try to avoid being a single issue poster. A single issue poster is one, who if given the chance, will attempt to lead discussions onto the topic over which they are most passionate.

The problem is tha the topic gets covered ad nauseum, and people tire of it. This results in the threads going south quickly.

Just food for throught

Thanks for the warning, EricH. Very kind of you.

I