whatsitmean

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  881
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

I don't intend to see this movie, but I have some questions about it.

Does the movie give the name LONGINUS to the soldier who pierced Christ

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  997
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Gospel Cliches-Confusing Salvation with Service:

"Give your heart and life to Christ"

"Surrender your life to Christ"

Whatsitmean writes:

"... we learn from the Gospels and all through the NT that a personal acceptance and commitment to follow HIM is essential to salvation. (JOHN 1:12)."

Salvation is a free gift offered to everyone who believes the gospel of 1 Cor, 15:1-4(Romans 6:23, Eph. 2:8-9). In Romans 4:4-5 God clearly declares that faith, and faith alone, is His requirement for justification in His sight. Over 150 verses state that salvation from the debt and penalty of sin is the sole issue of placing one's faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour.

Giving one's life, heart("commitment") is not what faith in Christ is about. Salvation has nothing to do with "giving" God anything! Salvation is not my gift to God. Rather, it is the issue of receiving a gift from God. The issue in salvation is not what we give to Him, but what He gives to us-eternal life. The issue is not giving your life to Christ-it is Christ giving up His life as an atoning sacrifice for you. Salvation has nothing to do with "giving up your life", "surrendering your life".........-It was the Lord Jesus Christ who gave up His life and made full surrender when he yielded His life at Calvary. Again, when a lost person is told to "surrender his life, give his life to Jesus, commit his life to Jesus.........", this wrongly presumes that a person has something worthy to give(whether that is time, money, service......), and confuses SERVICE with SALVATION. It requires a "commitment" to serve Christ "up front" before salvation, and it presents a work-based performance system as a basis for acceptance by God.

Phrases such as "Give your heart to Jesus" may sound very romantic, but we are not saved by "falling in love with Jesus"-we are saved by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ's finished work at Calvary and His resurrection 3 days later. Giving one's heart, life(commitment) is an activity of service to the Lord, and and, as such, service and dedication is something the LORD appeals to believers to do(Romans 12:1-2, for eg.). But this is service from those who have become his own. The biblical order is Sonship, then service. Service, then sonship is a work-based performance system, as typified by the Roman Catholic Church, and "perverts the gospel of Christ"(Gal. 1:7).

I would ask anyone that believes that I must make "commitment to follow Him" as a reqirement for justification:

How much commitment? 40%? 50%? 89%?

"...Speaking the truth in love..."(Eph. 4:15)

In Christ and with Christ,

John Whalen

Greetings John. This looks sort of like another

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  436
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  06/08/1971

Jmwhalen, you are very wrong. Yes the word of God does say if you confess Christ as Lord but the same Bible say that if you confess Christ you must depart from sin.(2 mothy 2:19). How are you depart from sin if you don

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Over 150 verses state that salvation from the debt and penalty of sin is the sole issue of placing one's faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour.

Some people tell me all you have to do is believe....... I ask them to give me a very very detailed description of what is believe and what does it consist of.

My question to you is give me a very very detailed description of what actually consists of placing ones faith in Jesus Christ as Savior.

How does one do this?

What actually is done to bring this about? (I don't mean physically)

Are you saying that all I have to do is believe that Jesus is the Son of God and died for my sins and I have to do nothing but believe this and be saved?

Yes I think that

The biblical order is Sonship, then service.  Service, then sonship is a work-based performance system, as typified by the Roman Catholic Church, and "perverts the gospel of Christ"(Gal. 1:7).

I would ask anyone that believes that I must make "commitment to follow Him" as a reqirement for justification:

John Whalen

Why does this guy get picked on so much? I don't see that he is promoting Calvinism. The point of SALVATION is when a person recieves Christ, not gives themselves to HIM. The dead in tresspasses and sin have NOTHING to give. Faith is an empty hand that recieves GOD's gift.

My interest in this thread is to determine who the CHIRST is that people fall in love with from watching this movie. I have the percetpion that it may well be a different Christ than that which we have recieved.

Gal 1:6-10 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7. Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9. As we said before, so say I now again, If any [man] preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

10. For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

:help:

The biblical order is Sonship, then service. Service, then sonship is a work-based performance system, as typified by the Roman Catholic Church, and "perverts the gospel of Christ"(Gal. 1:7).

How much commitment? 40%? 50%? 89%?

"...Speaking the truth in love..."(Eph. 4:15)

John Whalen

Ok, I'm really sorry Jim. I read the first part of your post, got a little angry and didnt even finish the post. I'm really sorry but it seems like both of us are in agreement. God bless you brother.

In Christ, Jesusson

• Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  997
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Jesusson writes:

"Jmwhalen, you are very wrong. Yes the word of God does say if you confess Christ as Lord but the same Bible say that if you confess Christ you must depart from sin.(2 mothy 2:19). How are you depart from sin if you don