• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Baptism into Christ

Often times and in many, if not most, denominations, water baptism is one of the initial steps of conversion. Some churches require baptism again though the person was baptised in another denomination. So in a very practical sence, water baptism is an initiation into the local body of Christ.

On the other hand, when one is Baptized in the Holy Spirit, one often begins to recognize by the Spirit others from differing denominations as being part of the universal body of Christ. This greater awareness of God working in and through people from denominations not your own is very humbling. So, in a spiritual sense, the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is an immersion into the universal body of Christ. In fact, the Charismatic movement of the 70's and 80's gave rise to the Eccumenical movement of the 80's and 90's. Of course, the Charismatic movement was people who experienced the Baptism in the Holy Spirit though they were not part of Pentecostal type churches. And though experiencing the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, they stayed in their non-Pentecostal churches.

Nice post. :emot-handshake:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Greg Davies
There are at least 5 types of baptism mentioned in the Bible:

1-baptism by repentance

2-baptism in water

3-baptism into the Holy Spirit

4-baptism by fire

5-baptism into the Body of Christ

What do these mean to you and your ideas of baptism and salvation?

1. This is John's baptism and it was to prepare natural Israel for the coming of the Messiah.

2. and 3. Water baptism is commanded by Jesus in order to see, perceive, and enter the kingdom of God in conjunction with Holy Spirit baptism. It is part of the "born again" experience described in John 3. Being born of the Spirit is salvation in its elemental sense. That which is born of Spirit is spirit. It is the "new spirit" mentioned in Ez. 36:26 and the process is described in Titus 3:5. Water baptism accomplishes the following: We take on the family name of God because we are baptized into His name, becoming His children. The "old man" which was crucified with Christ at salvation is buried (Rom. 6:3-6). This "old man" is also called the "body of the sins of the flesh" in Col 2:11,12. We are raised to walk in the newness of life (Rom 6 and Col 2). We also cut covenant with God, becoming children of Abraham by faith with the circumcision of the heart (Col 2:11). This is the same as the "stony heart" taken out in Ez 36:26. So water baptism gives us a new heart or a new you in the same way that the baptism in the Holy Spirit gives us a new spirit. We are truly born again.

4. This is part of the salvation experience in conjunction with the Holy Spirit baptism (Luke 3:16).

5. This is the same as the Holy Spirit baptism (I Cor. 12:13)

This all of course is cursory and could be detailed in volumes. There is one more baptism that we don't gererally like to talk about, so I won't for now. That is the baptism of His sufferings, yikes!

Be prepared for this topic to become a hot debate.

Greg.

Edited by Greg Davies

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

This is how I understand them to be:

1-baptism by repentance: John's baptism

2-baptism in water: Jesus' commandment to Apostles (Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Rom 6:3-7, Acts 22:16, etc.)

3-baptism into the Holy Spirit: Given to Apostles by Jesus so they can have the gifts of tongues, healing, etc.

5-baptism into the Body of Christ: Same as #2

"4-baptism by fire: When hell is cast into lake of fire" :)

ROTFLMAO Yeah i did the same thing when i read that! ROTFL. talk about making up your own doctrines!!!

2-baptism in water: Jesus' commandment to Apostles (Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Rom 6:3-7, Acts 22:16, etc.)

3-baptism into the Holy Spirit: Given to Apostles by Jesus so they can have the gifts of tongues, healing, etc.

4-baptism by fire: When hell is cast into lake of fire

I always thought the baptism by fire was the baptism of the Holy Spirit, because John said, I baptize you with with water, but one comes who will baptize with fire.

It is but cardcaptor likes to make up doctrines!

I know that two posts on baptism have been shut down, and I am not trying to revisit the "baptism as a must for salvation debate". I just want to know what you think about the types of baptisms mentioned in the Bible and where your beliefs lie in regards to the different "types" of baptism.

1-baptism by repentance

Baptism JTB was preforming which is one where jesus entered his priesthood with. It was a jewish ritual.

2-baptism in water

Commanded by christ as the first act of obedience which represents a outward expression of a inward change. It is only a act of obedience, and has nothing to do with ones salvation which is secured when one confesses with ones mouth and believes that jesus christ is lord and risen from the dead.

When the holy ghost descends upon the believers. It was used to give the gifts of the spirit to the early believers. Today it happens but gifts like tounges are no longer needed, and not given.

4-baptism by fire

When the holy spirit enters a new christian the moment they confess christ and are saved. this is essentially the possession ofthe believer by christ.

Baptism into the church as a member. The church is represented as the body of Christ.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

I always thought the baptism by fire was the baptism of the Holy Spirit, because John said, I baptize you with with water, but one comes who will baptize with fire.

from damo1

thanks for this as i was about to add some thing hear and it is no good when you start to make doctrines as its like alowing the religon spirit to control or religous spirit to control instead of gods spirit which lives in us to guid us to the truth and this is not true baptizem of fire is when you pray for the gift of speaking in tounges as i was told by educated pastors and leaders hear to not belive this as it is forced doctrine trying to clear christians from the truth and the true meanig to what jesus says on baptizem and what the dissiples and apostles taught and preached on i just wonder if paul or any of the disciples wear alive now and had the technologey as we do like inter net and if they were reading this how would they react to what they stood for beleived in and died for ?

this is wear new born christians need to stay well away from religon spirit religous spirit and doctrine which is mans doctrine not gods doctrine and the waterd down version that is being preached today we need to come back to the basic teaching and that is gods truth and alow the spirit of god to guide us on what we are reading and open our eyes to the truth of gods word

people do get shaken up like this to show one who is slipping or one who is mocking god on what hell looks like and when this happens to wear you are shown what hell looks like you do what ever you can to stay clear and reach out to as many as you can and preach the good news which is what the dicsiples did and what the aposltes did i had this happen to me when i was running and it happend in 2001 when god shook me to the point to wear i was able to see god for god and i can tell you honestly my life has never been the same as it is god who is in control know and it is the holy spirit who leads me and guides me when i am reading gods living word as i stay well clear from what i mentioned hear and i dare not preach a waterd down version when the evidance is right in front off you how can you ingnore the leading and teaching that is based in gods word how can you question this and not beleive and just alow doctrine to kill what ever the spirit trys to do in your life the pharisees did this and look at how they were dealt with by jesus he dealt with them head on as he saw wear their hearts were and he new how to catch them out jesus was very smart and john was brave for saying it is i who need you to baptize me and it is i who is not fit to do or walk the path you are about to walk on and he even said this some one else is going to come and he will baptize you with the holy spirit and with fire

matthew 3 11 i baptize you with water for repentance but after me will come one who is more powerfull than i whoes sandles i am not fit to carry he will baptize you with the holy spirit and with fire

so i cant see how a revalations verse can be thrown to wear its doctrine and it states baptisem by fire when hell is cast into lake of fire when you have this in mattew 3 verse 11 to guide and teach

this should not have anything to do with one wanting to be baptized and this is what i was not told when i sat threw a course with sevral others over 2 weeks on the meaning of baptizem and looking at gods word on baptizem

i am sorry as when i read what he left i rang those that i new who are more educated to bring some light and i was told to stay clear and not beleive it just go by what you read in gods word on baptisem and know i am doing this again wear i will fill my note pad with lot of refrenses for my self and i was directed to wear i can get this in the bible so it does not confues me or when i guide a new christian as i wll also be an active pastor and this will be a part of me wear i will be baptizing people so i want to lead in truth instead on doctrine alone

hear is the full menning to what cardcaptor was not showing but only half of it

revelations 20 verses 11 to 15

when the dead are judgsd

then i saw a great and white throne and him who was seated om it earth and sky fled from his presence and there was no place for them

and i saw the dead great and small standing before the throne and books were opened another book was opened which is the book of life the dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books

the sea gave up the dead that were in it and death and hades gave up the dead that were in it and death and hades gave up the dead that were in them and each person was judged according to what he had done

then death and hades were thrown into the lake of fire

the lake of fire is the second death

if any ones name was not found written in the book of life he was thrown into the lake of fire

this is what i was told by my pastor to put hear in this topic to explaine this clear to what cardcaptor did not fulley say

so i hope this sheds some light hear on this alone baptizem by fire is when gods living spirit settles in your body and you get the gift of speaking in tounges we did this for a young man in church in our prayer meeting on monday night and we did not miss lead him or try to confuse him

from damo1 damien 1oth of october 2007 time 9.40am

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/12/1978

I know that two posts on baptism have been shut down, and I am not trying to revisit the "baptism as a must for salvation debate". I just want to know what you think about the types of baptisms mentioned in the Bible and where your beliefs lie in regards to the different "types" of baptism.

1-baptism by repentance

2-baptism in water

4-baptism by fire

What do these mean to you and your ideas of baptism and salvation? Can we not agree that there are different types of baptism and the all Christians by way of our basic beliefs have been baptised in at least one way? I am genuinly curious and would like to learn more about different baptisms.

1-baptism by repentance

This is John's baptism and it was to prepare Israel.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/26/1983

I found this on biblestudy.org. Maybe it will clear up baptism by fire, but it was just one writer's view.

Do You Want the Baptism by Fire?

Are you sure you know what it is?

The common belief that we should desire that baptism with FIRE springs from texts showing God will purify and cleanse those who are His, by purging away the dross. And the Scriptures speaking of this purifying process usually speak of it as "purge away," or "take away the dross," rather than burning it away with fire.

But in Ezekiel 22, God does speak of burning away this dross with fire. Before we examine the words of John the Baptism about being baptized with the Holy Ghost and with FIRE, let's see, if we want even to have this dross purified by FIRE. Here it is! Listen!

"Son of man, the House of Israel is to me become dross: all they are brass, and tin, and iron, and lead, in the midst of the furnace; they are even the dross of silver. Therefore thus saith the Eternal God; because ye are all become dross, behold, therefore I will gather you into the midst of Jerusalem. As they gather silver, and brass, and iron, and lead, and tin into the midst of the furnace, to blow the fire upon it, to melt it; so will I gather you in Mine ANGER and in My FURY, and I will leave you there, and melt you. Yea, I will gather you and blow upon you the FIRE of My WRATH," Ezekiel 22:18-21.

Now do YOU want to become DROSS? Do you want this kind of FIRE? Do you want to become so wicked -- so rebellious, stiff-necked, hard-hearted, as God says Israel was, that you PROVOKE GOD'S ANGER to the extent that He has to chastise you in the FIRE of His WRATH? Those here purified in this fire were those so wicked, so rebellious, in such a wrong spirit that God is punishing them in ANGER, and in FURY. He is not here speaking of CHRISTIANS at all, but with unregenerate, stiff-necked, rebellious, sinning, ISRAEL.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

I don't make up my own doctrines. I just show scriptures that you don't want to hear.

Besides Mark 3:11 and Luke 3:16, please give me any other verses that command or give examples of Christians being baptized by fire and/or what it was for.

But if you put it all into perspective and context you will see what is being said -

Matthew 3:7-12 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

John the Baptist finished up his point by talking about the saved and the unsaved who will burned up with unquenchable fire.

The only "unquenchable fire" we know of is the lake of fire.

from damo1 12 october

if we are going to understand what baptizem means to us then try to also explaine this to a new christian who is wanting to be baptized i dont see how a revelations scripture can be thrown into this topic alone on baptizem and by saying i am only speking the truth to what you do not want to hear its like saying that the revelations verse that i left on my post is then to also to be told in the 2 week or 3 week course most hold with new christians on this subject and to have them better understand what baptizem means as this is what most pastors do hear in Australia before any one makes such a commitment the pastors want the new christians to understand what they wil be doing and what it means to ask to be baptized i have heard of people going over and over asking to be baptized when it should be only done once in a persons life

i know sevral that have back slidden and have been baptized in water have asked this for a second time i dont do this and my pastor does not do this as we say wel you have been baptized once all you need to do is ask god to forgive you

and this is wear a 2 or 3 or 4 week course on baptisem helps i sat in on a two week course with around 11 others as my pastor did not want to be going over the same issue so he decided to do it in a big group wear we all wear told to bring our bible and our note pads and he even said feel free to ask as many questions as you want and i wil lead you to what the bible says on baptizem that way no confusion is thrown at you or any other new christian to much confusion has been thrown on this topic alone when it comes to understand what baptizem means when all you need to do is direct a new christian to the living truth of gods word i went over my personal notes and i have not found one thing i jotted down in the lesson i sat in on on what you have thrown in i even rang my old pastor who stil does these courses and asked him do you throw this baptisem by fire when hell is cast into a lake

and i gave the two verses on this alone and its the second death for those that steer clear from the truth of gods word and its for those who have followed satan

revelations 20 14 15

then death and hades were thrown into the lake of fire the lake of fire is the second death

if anyones name was not found in the book of life he was thrown into the lake of fire

and he said no and it even puzzled him to why the lake of fire would be taught on baptizem and then give a revelations verse

our sister rehydrated for christ gave a good point in her post on do you want the baptisem of fire do you want the baptisem of fire are you sure you know what it is and this is also being taught in the courses that a new christian goes threw on baptisem and i would encourage you cardcaptor to read her post with out only saying i was only directig you to the truth of gods word if you spend your time reading the posts you would hear what the question is being asked on this subject and when i am in the philippines pastoring the new church my partner has just planted which is number 5 i will be doing these courses my self yet i will do a 6 week course so no one is miss led or doctrine is thrown in as i will not bring in confusion or man made doctrines into the subject on baptisem my partner even said that is a good idea wear you do this in a big group setting so you are not going over the same thing but every one has a chance to read it from gods word and to wear they jot this down for them selves as i do not want people looking to me as if i know everything as i am just a simple man but i want them looking at gods word and gods word alone i am very humble and i dare not twist or throw in anything that will confuse a person when you do this it is you saying look at me i know everything and you need not to go to gods living word but trust in what i say which is stupid and is very wrong for some one to do this always tell a new christian to come back to the truth of gods word and always tell that new christian to test it for them selves i am not god and i dare not play god and say just trust me as i will only tell you what you want to hear that is playing with fire and placing a harsher judgment on your self

remember wako and what happend to that mans followers this is what i do not want happening to a new christian

i am not attacking you hear but just trying to clear some thing up i will agree to disagree

from your brother in the lord damo1 damien

Guest Rapturebound

The baptism of John the Bapist was a baptism unto repentance, at this time our salvation was not yet manifest, so baptism was just a guage to see where people were at spiritually. It was an outward expression of their hearts. The baptism into the Body of Christ is when you become born again and we become a new creation in Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:17) After you have been saved (born again) baptism in water is not an expression of repentence, it is representive of what happened inside you when you recieved Christ in your heart and a testamony to the rest of the world that you have decided to live for Christ. The old man was buried and the new man rose up clean. Baptism of the Holy Spirit was what we see no the Day of Pentacost. Where they recieve the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. Baptism by fire is referring to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, the word "and" is key. That is how He manifested Himself on the Day of Pentacost. The glory of God is also described by fire. He is fire from His loins up and from His loins down. Water baptism can not save you, only receiving Christ as Lord can. If you believe and you are baptized, you shall be saved. This merely referrs again to the new birth. We baptize ourselves every time we get into the Word of God. It simply implies being in something.

Edited by Rapturebound