Gossip more powerful than truth?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for the try but that was not the one stuck in the back of my head..

It has something to do with how we talk ....

I just cannot think of a word to search...

We are to be careful the way we use our conversation with others...

It will probably drive me nuts trying to recall it... :mgfrog:

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. ephesians 4:29

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I have been trying to remember a scripture I used to refer to a lot to myself to keep my foolish mouth shut and not allow usless chatter but I just cannot remember it...

I remember it...it says: "Thou shalt shut thy yapper"

Oh...that is SO profound! :mgfrog:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Hey everyone! GUESS WHAT? My friends brothers sisters moms uncles cats great nieces owners husband said that Hopper was actually a toad. :whistling:

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

Hey everyone! GUESS WHAT? My friends brothers sisters moms uncles cats great nieces owners husband said that Hopper was actually a toad. :laugh:

It is called mob mentality but I fly with a eagle or two. Let the turkeys stay with their own. lol

Hopper you lying to us?

Actually hopper is a old fashioned name where we flushed bedpans in... its true... hahahahah lol :whistling:

• Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,846
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  01/05/1987

Hey everyone! GUESS WHAT? My friends brothers sisters moms uncles cats great nieces owners husband said that Hopper was actually a toad. :taped:

HA! Just as I suspected! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well, there's a verse about a fool being considered wise if he keeps his mouth shut. (Now wait aminute: how can we interact on a message board if we don't "talk"? :blink: )

Sorry, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Guest Biblicist

Well, there's a verse about a fool being considered wise if he keeps his mouth shut. (Now wait aminute: how can we interact on a message board if we don't "talk"? :taped: )

Sorry, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Proverbs 10:19

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.

:blink::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Proverbs 10:14

Wise men store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin.

Proverbs 15:2

The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.

Proverbs 15:14

The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly.

Proverbs 18:6

A fool's lips bring him strife, and his mouth invites a beating.

Proverbs 18:7

A fool's mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul.

Proverbs 26:7

Like a lame man's legs that hang limp is a proverb in the mouth of a fool

Proverbs 26:9

Like a thornbush in a drunkard's hand is a proverb in the mouth of a fool.

Proverbs 30:32

"If you have played the fool and exalted yourself, or if you have planned evil, clap your hand over your mouth!

Ecclesiastes 10:12

Words from a wise man's mouth are gracious, but a fool is consumed by his own lips.

Proverbs 18:8

The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts.

Guest Biblicist
I had always thought gossip was something true about someone that disparages that person whereas slander is the lie about someone that disparages that person. In either case, it is not loving thy neighbor as thyself.

There is sharing concern for someone and praying about someone. Then there is sharing information about someone to belittle that person in your eye.

Jesus did not come into the world to condemn the world but to save. Hate the sin... love the sinner.

Psalm 19: 13Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression. 14Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Matthew 15: 18But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Proverbs 18: 21Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Still, I have learned to trust the Lord to do His work in me to control my tongue since I cannot tame it.

James 3:7For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: 8But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. 10Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. 11Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? 12Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh. 13Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. 14But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 15This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 17But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 18And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

:blink:

My pastor puts gossip simply, this way...

Gossip is telling someone something about another person, or a situation, who is not part of the problem or part of the solution.

If you are listening to someone tell you their problems and you are not part of the problem, or part of the solution then you are listening to gossip.

What does it mean to be part of the solution...then? How can we be part of the solution to someone's problems. God's word...simple as that. And if they are unwilling to listen and adhere to God's word... then...what more can you do but listen to gossip. :laugh:

And that will ruin a relationship quicker than you can say, "bib'syouruncle" :laugh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  424
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

:blink: Edited by hopper

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

:noidea: Ha! Toads actually are frogs, but frogs are not toads, and hopper is both and neither. :thumbsup:

I actually think the research, while noteworthy, is tainted by another vice: "...the love of money (φιλαργυρία), is a root of all kinds of evil." (1 Timothy, 6:7-10).

Any game giving actual money to secular university students, and formulated in a way that even more money can be acquired, will most likely lead to a few of the students figuring out how to get the most money out of the researchers and acting on that information, regardless of moral values regarding gossip or standing by the truth in an obvious game. :thumbsup:

Actually hopper is a old fashioned name where we flushed bedpans in... its true... hahahahah lol :D

My online hopper presence began with the byline, "material consideration and disbursement container" (another valid and very similar hopper definition to the one you've given :26: ), but somehow it just seemed almost too natural that I be considered a frog - almost as universal a perception of mass appeal as gossip. Sometimes, once gossip or inaccurate information is put into practice, it becomes true, even when it didn't start out that way and may have originally been the antithesis of the original.

But toads emit a poison and frogs do not, I have a resident toad living on my property... may be a relative of yours, hopper?

Was that proverbs 18:8.... look ay what it says...gossip going into the innermost parts...just imagine what it is doing to the soul of the one who is listening! A lie about someone or rarely a truth going in there and staying...it becomes like dung is to a fly and only causes more filth and disease.

All the news people are biased and never relate the reality of things. My girlfriend was in Israel during desert storm...which by the way started some time before the news broadcasted it, she was also letting me know that what we were seeing on t.v picturewise was not entirely true. Certain pictures were shown to us from different angles. I caught two from c.n.n the images were reversed.Then there was that newscaster reporting a flood and rowing in a boat. After the piece was over, the camera was still rolling, and she walked out of the boat into ankle deep water. I was hysterical laughing!!! I still giggle over that one.

Sometimes I often wonder if some of those 'winged creatures with many eyes' are satellites!?

So deception is always around us and it is Good that God sent us not only His Son but the Holy Spirit that strain out the lies. God is my Satellite, Amen and praise the Lord. Thank-you Jesus