IGNORED

how about y opinion about man with long hair?

silviawang

By the way RunningGator, 1 Corinthians 11:14 says:

Doeth not even nature itself teach you, that if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

It also says this.

1 Corinthians 11

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head.

That alone should be reason enough to get a haircut.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Granted the Bible does say men should have short hair, but where in the Bible is the line drawn when hair becomes too long? Artist depict Jesus with shoulder length hair with no way of proving how accurate these paintings are, I assume the artist did some investigating in how men lived in that time period.

If I had to guess, I would say most women of that time period let their hair grow down to their lower posterity and if a man let his hair grow like that, it would be too long. :blink:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

1 Corinthians 11 (Amplified Bible)

16Now if anyone is disposed to be argumentative and contentious about this, we hold to and recognize no other custom [in worship] than this, nor do the churches of God generally.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

What I have always found interesting is that the Bible says if a man has long hair it is a SHAME to him, not that it's a SIN. There's quite a difference there, I think. Even more interesting is the way many Christians rationalize this passage and take away from it that long hair is bad on a man but short hair is okay for a woman. Seems to me that if long hair is a shame for a man and long hair is a glory to a woman, then we're looking at short hair being a glory to men and short hair being shameful for a woman. I know that's a pretty broad generalization, but I've always been fascinated how we, as Christians, draw these kinds of lines.

By the way RunningGator, 1 Corinthians 11:14 says:

Doeth not even nature itself teach you, that if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

It also says this.

1 Corinthians 11

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head.

That alone should be reason enough to get a haircut.

so, you think we (as in men) should all shave our heads and be bald? otherwise our head would seem to be covered, if this verse is speaking of hair.

Is that what the Word states?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

I do not have a problem with men having long hair; the Biblical rule you're thinking of is from the OT, and as Christians, we are now under a New Covenant because of Christ. Blessings, A.P.

I don't have a problem with it either. People can dress how they want. But when a man wears long hair like a woman, dresses in women's clothes, with their shirt tied around their mid-section,wearing short shorts,and walks like a woman, they should not get offended if someone mistakes them for a woman and calls them ma'am. Wasn't that thier objective in the first place? So why do they get mad when you make a mistake?

Is that what the Word states?

I dont think so, but based on what you posted, that having your head covered was about getting a haircut, it would seem the only way to not have your head covered with hair would be to go bald.

Can you see another way.

or maybe this verse you posted is not about hair.

What does it say about head coverings and hair?

• Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

I think in most cases, people understand the difference between long and short. I don't know that there is a specific exact length involved? My wife uses the standard of whether it is long enough to flop? That seems reasonable to me.

I dont know if that is really good enough.

I mean if we are going to condmen men for having long hair, we should at least know what long is.

What do you think Paul was getting at with this verse?

this can be said about baptism. i feel that we do not need water baptism since it was revelaed that it is the baptism

of the Holy Spirit that matters. However, religous Chrisitans want to throw guilt and obedience for not advocating water baptism?

well...what happens if I do not promote it? what is the crime? what is the punishment?

there are actually many instances like this that can be made.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I think Gator has a point.

When you consider Jewish custom - the locks worn by the Orthodox most certainly are longer than we consider "short hair" to be.

And if it is a shame for a man to cover his head when praying, why do Jewish men pray with a tallit (prayer shawl) and why do they wear kippas (the little round hat)?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

On a side note - was it ever fashionable for women to wear short hair before there were hair dressers and curling irons and hair spray?

(Not spiritualizing anything. Just saying. . . .)