IGNORED

Comforting the Hurting

There's a lady where I work who is hurting bad. I don't think from what I've been told that she or any of her family are believers, and their mother had surgery yesterday for lung cancer and isn't doing well. The lady's name is Kelly and she's taking the mother's health problems pretty hard and is depressed about it. (Who wouldn't be?) That the mother is not doing well after the surgery is not helping, but Kelly was pretty torn up about things before. The family seems to consist of 2 sisters and at least one brother that have been mentioned, and they seem to be fairly close.

I'm wondering what, if anything, I can say by way of encouragement to her in this situation. I know that bringing up salvation under these kind of circumstances can do more harm that good - it depends on the individuals involved and the Lord doesn't seem to be leading in that direction at the moment. I'm trying to pay attention to what the Lord would have me say, or not say, in the situation.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I could use some help.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I always tell them I am praying for their loved one, I haven't have anybody say anything other than a heart felt thank you! I'll be praying for Kelly's mom myself! :laugh:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

I would totally agree with SP - offering to pray for their loved one is always well received. :laugh:

My other suggestion is practical support eg offering lifts to the hospital, preparation of food, child-minding etc. I have just checked your profile and found out that you are a male so these suggestions may not be so easily applicable to you. :24:

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

You might ask her if she has heard of a particular portion of Scripture. Share with her how these passages comforted you during a difficult time. For me, it was just one passage of Scripture that someone shared, during a great period of hardship in my life, that revealed to me that Jesus IS a LIVING GOD! I had no idea how relevant His Word was, until someone share just 1 passage during a difficult time. You might find a passage, show it to her, and tell her that you would be more than happy to pray with her/for her in the care of her mother. And then just sit with her, and say a short prayer of strength and comfort for her.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

just be there to support her any way you can. Ask permission to lift her and her family up in prayer at the next church service and let her know you are praying for her and her family.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

There is really nothing more you can do but pray, unless the Holy Spirit moves you to speak certain words in love.

Prayers.

OneLight

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

damo1

hay walla 299

just be their for her give her posative support you are right in what you say as to why i am saying this too many do not seem to think when it comes to people hurting like this

i am speaking from experiance i have been on my own ever since i was young and the comfort i have now i know god has had his hands on me ever since i came into this earth lonley and hurting people need to just hear that you care and also listen to her this helps when some one can just talk with out you saying a thing trust me it works and it alows the person to open you up to you

this is the very verse i was led to 2 corinthians 1 new international version open study bible

the god of all comfort

3 praise be to the god and father of your lord jesus christ the father of compassion and the god of all comfort

4 who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have

received from god

5 for just as the sufferings of christ flow over to our lives so also through christ our comfort overflows

the very ones that i have given i only give as these mean something to me and what we have been threw our selves we can walk along side of some one in need knowing the very same understanding the very same support and the very same encouragment we got by our pastors by our leaders or even by our elders

we can do this in return

i do this with people in the same sittuation as i am as i can under stand wear a home les person is i can under stand wear a young person is who has no parents and is living on their own doing the very best they can in a harsh world wear they have to be tuff and that means even hardening their hearts

may be i would suggest since you know kelly take her out say with another female friend you know and just go for a walk in the park go for coffe get her away from the house for the day may be you can say is this ok if i ask sevral people in my church that i know who could come and spend some time with you if this is ok by you

i am going threw this know with one of my spiritual parents i have nown my friend since i was young my friend and his wife took me into their home when i came out of jail and they became the parents i never had this couple went out of their way they took what i threw at them i pushed them and they just showed me jesus love my friend lost his wife in jan to cancer and i am moving back to wear i started my walk with god just to be their for him he even rings me when it is too much for him

i hope what i have said helps and wil keep your friend in my prayers

from your brother in the lord damien