freedfromsin

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

There is nothing wrong with giving gifts to your children or family at Christmas as well as decorating for the celebration as long as the decorating is not sending the message that the season is about someone other then Jesus.. And if your waistline isn't a problem, there is no harm in exchanging chocolates at Easter.

In fact, it is nice to give and receive gifts. And let us not forget that God gave the world a more wonderful gift than we could ever give: salvation to all who confess (receive) Jesus Christ is Lord and who believe in their heart that God raised Him from the dead (Romans 10:9; Ephesians 2:8-9).

However, it is inadvisable for Christians to tell children lies about Santa Claus. Do you really want them to put their trust in a buffoon on the street corner who doesn't even know their name, let alone being totally unable to fulfill any wishes they may secretly tell him? Do you want them to think it's OK for strange men to visit them in the middle of the night? Worst of all do you really want to plant the suggestion that lying is acceptable if it brings pleasure for the moment? Why set yourself up to be exposed as a liar later by saying that Christmas is celebrating a man in a red and white costume instead of Christ's birth? We don't call it Santamas, but Christmas.

Truth more exciting than fiction

The truth about Jesus Christ is exciting, wonderful, and true. Do you really want to downplay God's miracles by replacing them with a warped insistence that your children believe what you don't even believe yourself: that a fat cartoon figure actually comes to their house at night and brings them gifts? Show some courage and treat your children like human beings.

Explain to the very young ones that Santa doesn't exist, even though they see Santa clones in stores every Christmas. You can point out that these

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist
Isn't it strange that often the most irreligious people on your street have the most Christmas lights and decorations on their houses?

It is strange. My father in law, an Atheist, insisted that his wife, a Jehovah's Witness, celebrate Christmas with a tree, decorations and gifts! I don't care the reason really, I'm just glad that we get to spend Christmas Eve with them every year.

I agree with everything you said. Well done. :o

I would add though that if you have to go into debt to purchase Christmas Gifts that's not really wise either. In my extended family, it was always the habit to go deep into debt for Christmas and pay it off over the rest of the year. I don't think Jesus would be happy with that type of celebrating.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

WAIT!!! What do you mean there's NO Santa Claus????? :o

Just kiddin... you make great points. :emot-hug:

BUT I told my kids there was a Santa and they still believe in him. They are 23 and 25 years old. I told them the day they stop believing is the day the Christmas gifts stop! :21: ...but when they were old enough, about 8 years old, I explained that the real Santa was ME and Mrs. Claus was their mother!

Now I draw the line there. Easter Bunny? No way! :blink:

...and both my sons both grew up to be men of FAITH (even though one got a little sidetracked for awhile).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,846
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  01/05/1987

No Santa?

Well then, on Christmas eve, who's the fat guy who eats all the cookies while farting and scratching his butt?

Oh wait....nevermind....

It's my dad... :emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

I agree with your reasoning, freed from sin. When I was a kid Santa was a big thing, but somehow my mother was able to make it clear that Jesus was really the reason for Christmas (and Easter). I was never confused about this and we always worshiped Jesus.

When I had my daughter and was faced with the question of do I bring Santa in or not, I decided that every year "Santa" would write her a letter. He would tell her what she had done good in that past year and what she needed to improve on. The letter would end with a reminder that Jesus and His birth were the real reason to celebrate Christmas, that Santa was fun, but Jesus was real.

She is 18 now and is not confused a bit about who brings the presents (Dad and Mom) but more importantly she knows Who gave the greatest gift - not Santa, Dad, or Mom, but Jesus Christ.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I was taught all about Santa and it never hurt my coming to faith in Christ AT ALL!

For the LOVE OF GOD!, can't we let children be children?

• Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

I was taught all about Santa and it never hurt my coming to faith in Christ AT ALL!

For the LOVE OF GOD!, can't we let children be children?

Amen...you try telling a 10 yr old autistic his gramma lied to him. I never viewed my parents as liars when I found out.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

When I had my daughter and was faced with the question of do I bring Santa in or not, I decided that every year "Santa" would write her a letter. He would tell her what she had done good in that past year and what she needed to improve on. The letter would end with a reminder that Jesus and His birth were the real reason to celebrate Christmas, that Santa was fun, but Jesus was real.

That's a neat idea. We didn't write letters but our kids were taught the reason for the season.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom Freedfromsin,

Amen and amen to all you've posted.

We, as Christians should NEVER lie, period.

We are Christian parents should never lie especially to these ones that G-d has given us to teach.

How dare we teach them lies? We should love them enough to always tell them the truth, especially between fiction and reality. Especially when attributing G-d's blessings to a make-believe person!

I would never want my parents to deceive me in this way, telling me that a make-believe person was the giver of good things, when all the while it was G-D! That defrauds G-d the honor and thanks due Him and it deceives the very ones we are to protect from hurtful lies.

James 1

16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth,) that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.