IGNORED

Music

SDAinFLA

Guest Biblicist
Shalom Z'ev Yochanan,

I agree that different styles of music are different, however, I disagree that hard-driving music elicits "aggression."

My son listens to hard-driving Christian rock and it is just as glorifying to G-d and just as pleasing to my son as my softer music. So, no, it does not matter the style to G-d, it only matters as a personal preference to people, and again, G-d created the music, so it is not evil without words.

:blink:

Did you ever read the book "Don't Stop The Music" by Dana Key? We have it, it's very good!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  474
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I have heard my share of music which can stem from and evoke various emotional responses. We are emotional beings and that is to be expected. I have seen instances where I was disturbed that the message of God's Lordship, Holiness, Majesty and Love would be set to the sound of such music and considered reverent and worshipful of Him. What I believe is that each person needs to excercise Godly discernment in these matters. Satan, although not creating music, loves to use it, too. It is just that, an avenue of communication and expression. Satan always uses the Word of God, but he weilds it in the wrong way. Putting christian words to certain music does not necessarily translate into a song that honors the Lord from what I have discerned. I am not going to effectively convey the message to my loved ones I love them while angrily yelling it in their ears. In fact, they will probably think I have lost my mind.

Paul points out this relationship when he says...

1Co 13:1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

I have heard my share of music which can stem from and evoke various emotional responses. We are emotional beings and that is to be expected. I have seen instances where I was disturbed that the message of God's Lordship, Holiness, Majesty and Love would be set to the sound of such music and considered reverent and worshipful of Him. What I believe is that each person needs to excercise Godly discernment in these matters. Satan, although not creating music, loves to use it, too. It is just that, an avenue of communication and expression. Satan always uses the Word of God, but he weilds it in the wrong way. Putting christian words to certain music does not necessarily translate into a song that honors the Lord from what I have discerned. I am not going to effectively convey the message to my loved ones I love them while angrily yelling it in their ears. In fact, they will probably think I have lost my mind.

Paul points out this relationship when he says...

1Co 13:1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Shalom Sister,

And that is your opinion and preference and you are certainly entitled to. It does not change the fact that G-d's Word set to any music, remains G-d's Word and does not glorify satan.

What you have said is not based on Scripture, but opinion. There is nothing in the Scriptures that indicates that a certain type of music is any less or more acceptable to G-d. It is the message that counts.

Isaiah 55:

1 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:

It will not return to me empty,

but will accomplish what I desire

and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Some years back I used to go fishing with an assistant pastor that was the child of missionary parents in africa.

Well one day while fishing we talked about music, I really like country gospel, and he told me how for sometime at his fathers church the folks just couldn't seem to be happy glorifying the Lord.

That is until it was discovered that they disliked the hymn music...yep.....they put the words to their own music and the place rocked.

I have used what I consider basic common sense and what I have been able to discern from observations of mine. God has set forth enough principles in His Word that can be applied to that in order for me to see that some music is not very reflective of that. The call for us to be unlike the world by being humble, meek, gentle, and peaceable are some of the principles that come to mind. I use those principles to guide my discernment of music, especially if it is being played for the Lord's Glory.

I have never claimed that God's Word is not God's Word when set to any music, but am merely pointing out that certain music does little, if anything, to reflect reverence of Him.

Pro 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.

Phi 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!

Phi 4:5 Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near.

Shalom, :thumbsup:

I have never claimed that God's Word is not God's Word when set to any music, but am merely pointing out that certain music does little, if anything, to reflect reverence of Him.

Shalom Sister,

Using your same "common sense", I must re-iterate that since G-d Himself created music, there is no such thing as music (without words) that does NOT glorify Him, regardless or beat, or style. It is impossible to prove that music is not glorifying to Him simply because it is not "gentle." I'm sorry to disagree with you, but it is simply man's opinion and not Biblical truth.

Granted, some people find gentle music more pleasurable, however, that does not mean music which is not gentle is not pleasing to G-d, especially when his Word is in it.

Bottom line, G-d created music as good, ALL music. It comes from Him and glorifies Him. Unless man perverts it, ALL music glorifies G-d.

I understand how some people may choose not to listen to music that is harder in beat or style, however, the case cannot be made Biblically or even with man's logic that the harder music styles are less acceptable to G-d. It just cannot be done. It all boils down to personal preference and opinion.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

This is a question that I am not sure of the answer so I thought I would run it by my brothers and sisters at Worthyboards.

In my experience, music plays a big role in worship. I believe that there is music in heaven and when we get there, there will be singing and instruments to make a joyful noise unto the Lord.

However, in my denomination there is a mixture of all types of musics.

If you go to some churches, they sing hymns

If you go to some churches, they sing country gospel.

If you go to another church you might hear gospel rap.

Last night we went to a gospel concert and they were singing gospel reggae.

I know that Lucifer was a master in music, but I'm not sure what part he is playing in Christian music today.

What do you guys think?

damo1

high i never use to sing when i was a sinner but i had my list off good bands i would listen to and my favorite fm radio station as music to me helped me escape this world as being on your own since 14 one fears that they wil never be acepted or loved so i was able to draw or escape this world i loved heavy metal rock and classical music though country music took some getting use to

i live in a farming comunity and we get a lot of talented artists comming to tamworth and boy do i love hearing fresh songs being played on guitar or key board or piano

music does something to a persons soul

i also play the guitar and when i got saved i never new that you would be expected to sing in church i had to discipline my spirit to do as the others wear doing yet for the first few months i sat down when ever worship would begin and i would just listen to the songs that wear sung and the style being played by the worship band

my church the very first one i walked in played a mix style rock regge and gospel but we played a lot of hill song stuff also worship songs that came from vinyard fellowship

i love live acustic worship with out electric guitar or electric base just guitars playing their is this group i love from britan

the acustic worship dave bilbrough graham kendrick noel richards matt redman stuart townsend bryn haworth these guys are awsem and hearing just acustic guitars and and sevral 12 strings guitars just blows me away

i also play the electric guitar when we do some rock worship songs and i just let lose as this is how i express my self to my father in heaven how much i love him and how thank ful i am for what jesus did for me on the cross

i also love tommy emmanuel as he is a christian and this guy is awsem been to one of his concerts and this guy just plays classical and rock with out singing though on piano it would be geoff bullock my best album you rescued me and power of your love

i also have songs that i have written down my self as i love new styles of worship hymnals have turned me off i am not picking on those that do love hyms i love sevral old hyms my self but i am more open as music should be wear one can enter into gods court yard and wear we should just express our love and our joy

so why let it worry you yes he was a master in music but satan has no control over us jesus dealt with this

i also love christian rock and christan heavy metal each to his own taste i say

god bless from your brother in the lord damien stipic

Shalom Sister,

Using your same "common sense", I must re-iterate that since G-d Himself created music, there is no such thing as music (without words) that does NOT glorify Him, regardless or beat, or style. It is impossible to prove that music is not glorifying to Him simply because it is not "gentle." I'm sorry to disagree with you, but it is simply man's opinion and not Biblical truth.

Granted, some people find gentle music more pleasurable, however, that does not mean music which is not gentle is not pleasing to G-d, especially when his Word is in it.

Bottom line, G-d created music as good, ALL music. It comes from Him and glorifies Him. Unless man perverts it, ALL music glorifies G-d.

I understand how some people may choose not to listen to music that is harder in beat or style, however, the case cannot be made Biblically or even with man's logic that the harder music styles are less acceptable to G-d. It just cannot be done. It all boils down to personal preference and opinion.

(((((Vickylynn)))))

The OP invited us to share our thoughts on this, and I did. I see what you are saying, but perhaps I have not been clear enough.

To further illustrate my point, let me try this angle...

I once saw a video clip of a very famous rock star singing "What a Friend we Have in Jesus." He suddenly started singing this song as soon as he noticed the camera was recording him, and just previously he was talking about his immorality with a women, just the night before, where he said of that, "Man, she could wake the dead."

Now there is nothing wrong with that song or those lyrics, but when that musician sang, it was not meant to be worshipful music to the Lord. It was meant to put on a show for the cameras so that he could present a christian veneer.

What I am trying to say is that, as God's Children, if we are aware of a wrongful spirit behind the worship music or the musical worship services offered to the Lord we should excercise that discernment and make good choices based on biblical principles and not be led astray in our service and choices just because the words sound christian when it seems pretty clear that there is that lack of reverence and then call the music pleasing to the Lord just because of the words.

I hope I have made my point more clear.

Shalom :emot-heartbeat:

(((((Vickylynn)))))

The OP invited us to share our thoughts on this, and I did.

Shalom Sister,

Thank you for your gracious replies. Of course you are entitled to post your thoughts, I am sorry if I gave you the impression that you weren't. But, we all can discuss out thoughts and differing views as well.

I see what you are saying, but perhaps I have not been clear enough.

Oh, you;'ve been very clear. I really understand. I've been through this discussion many many times over the years.

To further illustrate my point, let me try this angle...

The OP asked about songs IN CHURCH.

I'm sorry, but this one instance does not challenge the truth that music, in and of itself, is not evil because G-d created it.

And G-d's Word is His Word which will not return void.

So, of course you are entitled to your opinion, but you must understand it is a personal opinion and personal preference and does not mean G-d is not pleased by His Word set to rock music.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

This is a question that I am not sure of the answer so I thought I would run it by my brothers and sisters at Worthyboards.

In my experience, music plays a big role in worship. I believe that there is music in heaven and when we get there, there will be singing and instruments to make a joyful noise unto the Lord.

However, in my denomination there is a mixture of all types of musics.

If you go to some churches, they sing hymns

If you go to some churches, they sing country gospel.

If you go to another church you might hear gospel rap.

Last night we went to a gospel concert and they were singing gospel reggae.

I know that Lucifer was a master in music, but I'm not sure what part he is playing in Christian music today.

What do you guys think?

Hello , I would think that it would depend on the "message" in the music. Music is a form of speech put into lyrics and combined with instruments. If the message is not clear, I recommend you steer away from it. If the message compliments God, it is good. If the message compliments the secular world, it probably isn't worthy. I simply ask myself, "whould God approve of this music. Anything short of "headbanging" should be approved by God. lol :thumbsup: