OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

While on another board, I was reading a thread about Christian Mystics. There were only a few posts, so I decided to check the web. What I found was helpful to some extent, but it still left me with a bunch of questions. One thing that was mentioned is that they have been around for a very long time, so I don't see them as being part of the New Age Christian Movement. I'd like to hear what people here know about them. Care to share?

OneLight

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

While on another board, I was reading a thread about Christian Mystics. There were only a few posts, so I decided to check the web. What I found was helpful to some extent, but it still left me with a bunch of questions. One thing that was mentioned is that they have been around for a very long time, so I don't see them as being part of the New Age Christian Movement. I'd like to hear what people here know about them. Care to share?

OneLight

One Light one thing I can tell you is that they are not Christian. There is just no such thing as a Christian Mystic. Such things are of the devil who mascarades as an angel of light.

OneLight

One Light one thing I can tell you is that they are not Christian. There is just no such thing as a Christian Mystic. Such things are of the devil who mascarades as an angel of light.

That was my first thought, but I decided to drill deeper then this. Can you give me your reasons why you feel this way? I really would like to know more about them. I looked at this site, Wikipedia and found some strange answers and names of those who they list as Christians Mystics.

OneLight

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

OneLight

Really?

C.S. Lewis was a Christian mystic. Was he "of the devil"?

OneLight

Really?

C.S. Lewis was a Christian mystic. Was he "of the devil"?

You seem to have some knowledge of them. Please share!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  06/24/1968

OneLight

That was my first thought, but I decided to drill deeper then this. Can you give me your reasons why you feel this way? I really would like to know more about them. I looked at this site, Wikipedia and found some strange answers and names of those who they list as Christians Mystics.

OneLight

OneLight,

I am not sure if they are actually believers or not but I have studied Mystics from many paths. I have studied Christian Mystics such as Jeanne Guyone and Thomas Merton. As far as I can tell from my studies of the mystics of the Chrisitan faith, the church disagreed with many of them because of their form of meditation and such. For instance, Jeanne Guyone was a proponant of emptying the mind so as the enter into divine union with the Source. This belief is a varion of many mystics concerning meditation. I think I read the Madame Guyone was actually put away from the catholic church for her beliefs. I started looking into a christian meditation principle called Lecto Divina;however, being not able to read the bible prevented me from persuing studies into that form of mysticism. I have also studied the Jewish mysticism of the Quabalah which is interesting as well.

It's my understanding that some of the Christiam Mystics were labeled as such due to the nature of their insights. Like St. John of the Cross', The Dark Night of the Soul, being unconventional and not necessarily backed up by the Christian Bible hence being labeled mystics.

There may be someone with more insight than I into this topic as I am limited what I am writing due to my current understanding level. :noidea::blink:

Toodles,

~~ hurting ~~

Guest Break Down the Wall

People are so fast to scream 'heretic' in the church.

Mayhaps we should be more concerned about the planks in our own eyes.

I was hoping that those who respond here would leave an explanation to why they say what they say. Maybe you just feel like voicing your opinion ... the problem with this is that I am trying to understand the "why" behind how people feel. I am truly interested and not just bring up a subject that we can debate. So far, only ~~hurting~~ has passed information unto me that has substance.

Thanks in advance,

OneLight

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.16
  • Days Won:  58

According to that wikipedia link, on their the list of mystics, the ones Ive read so far have some iffy ideas.

His teachings, like those of Howard, draw from many different spiritual traditions and philosophies including: Christian mysticism, various Eastern philosophies,Fourth Way and Jungian psychology.

Vassula claims that an invisible being, who identified itself as her

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

I was hoping that those who respond here would leave an explanation to why they say what they say. Maybe you just feel like voicing your opinion ... the problem with this is that I am trying to understand the "why" behind how people feel. I am truly interested and not just bring up a subject that we can debate. So far, only ~~hurting~~ has passed information unto me that has substance.

Thanks in advance,

OneLight

The term Mystic is so easy to demonize that there has been almost no real discussion of this subject, and likely there won't be. It's a sad state of affairs in the church these days.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mystic

1. Of or relating to religious mysteries or occult rites and practices.

2. Of or relating to mysticism or mystics.

3. Inspiring a sense of mystery and wonder.

a. Mysterious; strange.

b. Enigmatic; obscure.

5. Mystical.

n.

One who practices or believes in mysticism or a given form of mysticism: Protestant mystics.

Jesus certainly related to religious mysteries and He inspired a sense of mystery and wonder. Think about it.

Thoughtful was absolutely correct. Christians are mystics. Christians are mystics so much so that saying a horse is a horse is an equivaliant statement.

Sure, those in occult practices also claim to be mystics, and they are, except they are the very thieves and robbers that Jesus spoke of "coming up another way"

Mark 4:11

Romans 11:25

Romans 16:25

I Cor 2:7

I Cor 15:51

Eph 9:1

Eph 3:3-4

Eph 3:9

Eph 5:32

Eph 6:19

Col 1:26-27

Col 2:2

Col 4:3

I Thes 2:7

I Tim 3:9

ITim 3:16

Rev 1:20

Rev 10:7

Rev 17:5

Rev 17:7

What do all these verses do if not..." Inspiring a sense of mystery and wonder." ??