• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

A lot of conversation about morality on this fourum...particularly during the current political season. People speak of morality independent of Christian conviction. Does anyone reading know how to isolate morality from ethics? Or is it just a semantical preference which word you use...genuine question from this OP

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

This is a very surface (read not deep) response. Morals are the determined good virtues. Morality is the acts which are good. Ethics are slightly different. Ethics is the choice to remain within morality. An ethical decision or action is one which leads someone down a moral path. They are very closely related and often used interchangeably. However, I see a slight difference between the two. Morality tends to be more limited than ethics. I could say that it is immoral to murder someone. However it may be ethical to murder someone. Let me give you an example. If someone enters a bank with a gun and begins shooting people at random, I could ethically enter that bank and murder that person. I would say that this is ethical because the result is the saving of more lives which is a moral thing. However the act of killing another individual may be viewed as immoral. So an act which may be determined ethical may not always be moral. This is where things get sticky so I will leave it to the more intelligent. This may not help anything, but I hope it does help some.

i grasp the difference. i used to work for a man for many years. he had nothing nice to say about God, or Jesus, or christianity. he wasn't big on morals either... he was all in favor of the most decadent lifestyle imaginable. but he was the most ethical man i've ever known in my life, at least from a business perspective.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,134
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

morals are something you live by and ethics is something you work by. Almost all the time they are on the same side as to whether or not they would be either.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

A lot of conversation about morality on this fourum...particularly during the current political season. People speak of morality independent of Christian conviction. Does anyone reading know how to isolate morality from ethics? Or is it just a semantical preference which word you use...genuine question from this OP

When speaking of the political morals or ethics, I believe they are speaking of those of in the flesh. Something that the whole world lives by or basis their beliefs in. That is the difference between what they are speaking of and the Christian morals and ethics, which are based on the Word.

I agree with the simplicity of what Shlomo posted.

I am not isisting I am right... but would like to offer a suggestion. Morals or morality is determined by an objective Divine standard. Ethics are relative to culture or environment. Example: Living together before marriage is immoral but society has made it ethical as long as you are monogamous. What do u think?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I am not isisting I am right... but would like to offer a suggestion. Morals or morality is determined by an objective Divine standard. Ethics are relative to culture or environment. Example: Living together before marriage is immoral but society has made it ethical as long as you are monogamous. What do u think?

I realize that this verse speaks of what food to eat, but it can also pertain to the situation that you mention. Living with the opposite sex places you in a very dangerous situation. If it can not be helped, that is one thing. But to do so when there are other options , to me is wrong. If you really love one another, then being apart will not put temptation into the hearts of one another, for we are human and our flesh does have desires. It is a trap just waiting to be sprung and Satan will use every thing he can to lure you into it. Then there are the babes in Christ who will say, "If they can do it, so can I.", where they will fall into sin.

1 Corinthians 8:9

But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.

As for morals being of a divine nature, I tend to not agree, for there are many who have high morals but do not believe in God at all, but in man. Morals change as you allow the Holy Spirit to change your heart. They come from within you as a compass which we use to guide us through the sea of life.

• Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Hi Dave, for argument sake, let's stick to professional definitions: (NOTE: ethics listed as part of moral definition)

Morals:

1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.

2. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work; moralizing: a moral novel.

3. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.

4. capable of conforming to the rules of right conduct: a moral being.

5. conforming to the rules of right conduct (opposed to immoral): a moral man.

6. virtuous in sexual matters; chaste.

7. of, pertaining to, or acting on the mind, feelings, will, or character: moral support.

8. resting upon convincing grounds of probability; virtual: a moral certainty.

Hi Dave, for argument sake, let's stick to professional definitions: (NOTE: ethics listed as part of moral definition)

Morals:

1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.

2. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work; moralizing: a moral novel.

3. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.

4. capable of conforming to the rules of right conduct: a moral being.

5. conforming to the rules of right conduct (opposed to immoral): a moral man.

6. virtuous in sexual matters; chaste.

7. of, pertaining to, or acting on the mind, feelings, will, or character: moral support.

8. resting upon convincing grounds of probability; virtual: a moral certainty.

IMO, that pretty much sums it up.