• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/05/1971

I was just wondering if the Sabbath was Saturday or Sunday? I have heard different ppl say different days. Also our calandar's week starts Sunday making Saturday the last day of the week.

Is the day important or a matter of picking one and observing it as the Sabbath?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

People have different views..

If you do a search of the board you should find much information..

Here is one of the links for you to search out..

Link

A few years ago the Church we went to decided to hold church services on Saturday..

It did not matter to me what day they held it...

But many have some very strong opinions otherwise... :emot-hug:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/08/1982

To me the Sabbath is from sundown of Friday to Saturday sundown as well. In today's society we have pushed it out and away from us all. Making it hard to observe this God given day. I try to observe it somehow and bring glory to His name when I can. I hate having to say it that way because it is like sorry God didn't make time for you today again. That is why I believe that there is grace with our God and that through it we can find that time everyday for Him and be able to study His Word. Love your neighbor and your God with all your heart. God Judges the heart of the soul, and not so much the actions. Jesus healed on the Sabbath. Man protected the Jews by lying to the Nazis.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  178

My calendar starts the first day of the week on Monday, Sunday being that last day of the week. As God did I start my work week on Monday and honor the Sabbath on Sunday. If you can prove that God did not start His work of creation on Monday then I will buy one of your man made calendars and worship on Saturday. Until then I will use Monday as the start of my work week.

IHS

JB

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

My calendar starts the first day of the week on Monday, Sunday being that last day of the week. As God did I start my work week on Monday and honor the Sabbath on Sunday. If you can prove that God did not start His work of creation on Monday then I will buy one of your man made calendars and worship on Saturday. Until then I will use Monday as the start of my work week.

IHS

JB

Irregardless of what your calender says, Sunday is the first day of the week, and other than a Work Day Calender I've never seen one that has Monday as the first day of the week.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

The Sabbath will always be the last day of the week, Saturday. We have to remember that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. It was meant for a day of rest and honoring God, so we would be nourished physically, spiritually and mentally.

As onwingsaseagles mentioned, it was on Sunday that gifts were to be gathered and brought so that they could be given to as a gift to Jerusalem.

1 Corinthians 16:1-3

Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come. And when I come, whomever you approve by your letters I will send to bear your gift to Jerusalem.

You can not change the day of the Sabbath, but you can gather with the saints on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or any day you choose. The most common is Sunday, as the scripture above indicates.

JB Horn, what calendar are you talking about? I've never seen one that starts on Monday?!?!?!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. Romans 14:5NKJV

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

IHS

JB

There is - as always - a difference in man's standards and Gods. You are right that most people start their work week on Monday. International standard ISO-8601 (International Organization for Standardization (ISO)) has standardized Monday as the "first" day of the week. In my opinion it is just one more secular, worldly way of attempting to usurp God's authority. In Genesis we are not told that on Monday God created the heavens and the earth and He said "Let there be light" and that was the first day, then on Tuesday He separated the waters from the waters. Then on Wednesday.......etc. No, it just names each 24 hour period as "the evening and the morning were the first day", etc. In Hebrew we find that Sunday is known as Yom Reeshone, or First Day, Monday is Yom Shaynee, or Second Day, Tuesday is Yom Shlee'shee or Third Day, Wednesday is Yom Revee'ee or Fourth Day, Thursday is Yom Khah'mee'ee or Fifth Day, Friday is Yom Ha'shee'shee or Sixth day, and Saturday is Shabbat or Rest. The days are from sundown to sundown, so the first day is actually sundown on what we call Saturday to sundown of what we call Sunday. Shabbat begins at sundown on what we call Friday. This is the day of rest. The Sabbath has never changed no matter what man tries to do to it.

<>< ><>

Nathele

IHS

JB

Irregardless of what your calender says, Sunday is the first day of the week, and other than a Work Day Calender I've never seen one that has Monday as the first day of the week.

Are you telling me that you know the exactly how many days ago our Creator said, "Let there be light"? If you do please tell me and I can divid that number by 7 and we will know for sure what day is the first day of the week. Unless you can do that you are going by a man made calender that has nothing to do with God.

We have been commanded to work for six days and worship on the seventh. Now most people work from Monday to Friday at a paying job and work Saturday around the house, worshiping on the seventh day Sunday.

Ex 20:11

For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Work six days and rest on the seventh, get it? If your man made calendar is what you base the sabbath on, I would suggest you us the calendar I do, also made by man.

From Wikipedia

The days of the week in various world languages can be classified as either planetary or numerical, both of which may have the names of one or more days changed due to religious or secular reasons. As exceptions, Sunday is often named "Lord" (for Lord's Day) while Saturday is often named "Sabbath" or "washing day". Numerically named days may associate day one with Sunday as in Hebrew, or may associate day one with Monday as in Russian and other Slavic languages. Planetary names for the days are derived from the Sun, Moon, and five visible planets (Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Saturn), which in turn were named for Roman gods with the same names. The Germanic languages, including English, substitute Nordic gods with similar characteristics for many of the Roman gods, although the Nordic gods themselves never were associated with the planets....In many other countries, including most of Europe, South America, and parts of Asia, Monday is now considered the first day of the week. This agrees with the international standard for date and time representation, ISO 8601, which defines Monday as the first day of the week and Sunday the last.

If you would like to buy a Monday first day calendar I sell them for $2 to Calvinist, $5 to Arminians and $65 to SDA.

JB

IHS

JB

There is - as always - a difference in man's standards and Gods. You are right that most people start their work week on Monday. International standard ISO-8601 (International Organization for Standardization (ISO)) has standardized Monday as the "first" day of the week. In my opinion it is just one more secular, worldly way of attempting to usurp God's authority. In Genesis we are not told that on Monday God created the heavens and the earth and He said "Let there be light" and that was the first day, then on Tuesday He separated the waters from the waters. Then on Wednesday.......etc. No, it just names each 24 hour period as "the evening and the morning were the first day", etc. In Hebrew we find that Sunday is known as Yom Reeshone, or First Day, Monday is Yom Shaynee, or Second Day, Tuesday is Yom Shlee'shee or Third Day, Wednesday is Yom Revee'ee or Fourth Day, Thursday is Yom Khah'mee'ee or Fifth Day, Friday is Yom Ha'shee'shee or Sixth day, and Saturday is Shabbat or Rest. The days are from sundown to sundown, so the first day is actually sundown on what we call Saturday to sundown of what we call Sunday. Shabbat begins at sundown on what we call Friday. This is the day of rest. The Sabbath has never changed no matter what man tries to do to it.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Calendars are secular Nathele even the names of the days come from pagan gods.

Work six days and worship.

JB