IGNORED

How to Train Dog Owners

Bolts

Guest Biblicist
Dear DDavid and Bibs,

(Boy - did I want to say Dear Abby!)

OK - I have large Rhodesian Ridgeback and a small Border Collie. Both males. The Ridgeback is a fun loving adorable overgrown pup, though he's past his prime. The BC tries his best to irritate him. Normally the ridgeback ignores him - however - when a storm is brewing the Ridgeback comes unglued! When lightning and thunder nears, the Ridgeback will actually attack the little guy! They both want to be on the backporch when the storm comes - I guess becasue it's the closest to us. The little dog stays there in good weather, but during a storm the big guy wants that spot. They have a very nice solid house of their own to huddle in, but they'll sit out in the rain. :whistling:

The rest of the time they tolerate each other or even play together. How do i keep the big dog from killing hte little one in a storm?

Hey, Trav,

Do you walk your dogs together?

My sister had two dogs that would fight every time someone came to the door. They'd littrally attack each other, snarling, growling, teeth bared. Since they can not turn their aggression on the thing that is upsetting them they turn it on the nearest subbordinate. They will not attack you because you are the pack leader.

I can only think that if she had walked them together, burning off the access energy, these types of outbursts would not have happened. They are both gone now and she just has one dog.

So my advise to you would be to walk the dogs. Is it possible to bring them in during storms? Maybe you could help the Ridgeback to overcome his fear if you correct him whenever he starts to get scared. Not affection, mind you, correction. Just a simple, stern "NO". Or even, "SH".

Dogs are never too old to teach. :emot-hug:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Liz,

Congratulations on adopting a Pitbull, you are very brave! They are wonderful, unappreciated dogs. God bless you dear! If you could post photos of her I'd love to see them!

I don't have any photos of her yet, but when I do, I'll definitely add them :noidea:

Where do you keep her? I have heard that the best way to bond with a dog is to feed it from your hand, sleep with it and generally keep it with you at all times. Not everyone wants a dog sleeping in their bed, but you can just put a crate or doggie bed in your room and that way she will get used to your noises and scent at night.
She has a large area where she is kept at the back of the house. My brothers reckon I ought to leave her there so that she will get to know the difference between strangers and us. Otherwise she will befriend everyone and wont bark at strangers.

I like this idea of bonding. The only thing that concerns me is that I'll be back to work next week and I really don't want her crying all day for me - will my going back to work affect her badly? she's a very timid dog. Will she become dependent on me or am I humanising her too much?

Don't try to show her affection when she is scared. This will reinforce her fear. Making her think that behaviour is OK. Wait for her to come to you. Sometimes you just have to sit there and wait for them to get curious about you and come to investigate. Dogs are as curious as cats are.
Thank you for this. It is a really helpful piece of information.

Bib, your post has been really helpful. When do you think she should be taken for walks?

Bolts, dogs who have been deprived of love (I am guessing she was not loved in her previous home) in their first months/years are prone to seperation anxiety. You want to teach her that it is ok to be alone, and that you will always be back. You should practice for very short periods, leaving her alone now, before you have to be gone all day. Each time lengthen the time away from her a bit longer. When you leave, do not put on a production. Be as subtle as you can and just casually leave. You can give her a simple at on the head, but no more. And when you come back. Ignore her the first ten minutes or so, giving her nothing more than a pat on the head. Has she shown any sign of destruction yet when you are away? Sometimes seperation anxiety show up right away. How long have you had her?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.08
  • Days Won:  78

If you can take her for walks, take her right now!! If the weather were nicer, I'd be walking my dogs an hour a day. But as it is, too cold, I don't walk in the bitter cold weather. Brrrrrrr!!!!

Dogs walk, it's how they become a pack. Fish swim, birds fly, dogs walk. It's in their nature. The sooner you begin walking her the sooner you will bond with her.

Do not worry about her not barking at strangers. Dogs will defend their pack, strangers do not belong to the pack, and therefore will be "scared" off. The closer she is to you, and her pack, the more she will defend the pack.

OOH, thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to help you with her. I miss helping people with their dogs.

So true about dogs defending their pack....and WE are their pack! My Chihuahua is a big time protector of his "Mommy" and he will defend his home as well. But then...he thinks he's a rottweiler. :rolleyes:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

We tivo'd Ceasar Milan's Dog Whisperer shows last year for a neighbor and I learned so much. We don't have dogs right now, but just watching the shows left me permanently changed in my attitudes towards dogs and toward parenting. I realized that I consistently have rewarded my adult children with money when I should have withheld my "affection" until they were respectful, submission in doggie terms. I love this guy and highly recommend watching his program or getting his book.

Guest Biblicist
We tivo'd Ceasar Milan's Dog Whisperer shows last year for a neighbor and I learned so much. We don't have dogs right now, but just watching the shows left me permanently changed in my attitudes towards dogs and toward parenting. I realized that I consistently have rewarded my adult children with money when I should have withheld my "affection" until they were respectful, submission in doggie terms. I love this guy and highly recommend watching his program or getting his book.

I have noticed as well, how his dog training techniques paralell child rearing techniques. One thing is for sure. I can stare down my 15 year old 6'2" son without a word. Just a simple dominant look and he's putty! :laugh:

Cesar is DA BOMB!! :rolleyes:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

If you can take her for walks, take her right now!! If the weather were nicer, I'd be walking my dogs an hour a day. But as it is, too cold, I don't walk in the bitter cold weather. Brrrrrrr!!!!

Dogs walk, it's how they become a pack. Fish swim, birds fly, dogs walk. It's in their nature. The sooner you begin walking her the sooner you will bond with her.

Do not worry about her not barking at strangers. Dogs will defend their pack, strangers do not belong to the pack, and therefore will be "scared" off. The closer she is to you, and her pack, the more she will defend the pack.

OOH, thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to help you with her. I miss helping people with their dogs.

Bib, have you ever ran into a dog you couldn't mold?

Not yet, my friend.

I see in your profile you have a Rottie. LOVE THEM! We fostered one for a short time and "baby"sat my cousins. They are such big teddybears!

He's my partner...His name is Silas...well behaved and protective but very sociable...everyone in my church loves him...particularly my secretary. She keeps treats in her desk at the office. He is 2 almost 3. He has got quite a few tricks down to entertain people impressed with him. He is really good with kids.

• Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  04/19/1942

So true about dogs defending their pack....and WE are their pack! My Chihuahua is a big time protector of his "Mommy" and he will defend his home as well. But then...he thinks he's a rottweiler. :rolleyes:

:laugh::24::laugh:

I have noticed as well, how his dog training techniques paralell child rearing techniques. One thing is for sure. I can stare down my 15 year old 6'2" son without a word. Just a simple dominant look and he's putty! :whistling:

Cesar is DA BOMB!! :52_52:

I can do more with my dog than I can with my teenager...Good thing my Rottweiler doesn't have a cell phone. :cool:

Guest Biblicist
I can do more with my dog than I can with my teenager...Good thing my Rottweiler doesn't have a cell phone. :noidea:

It is my belief that Teen-Agers are a lot like PitBulls.

They need a lot of exercise.

They eat a lot.

They have to be handled delicately, or they will turn on you.

They are larglly misunderstood, and mostly disliked.

Distractions need to be brought in gradually so they learn to listen to you no matter what's going on around them.

You have to pick their "friends" carefully or there will be trouble.

If left to their own defenses they become dangerous.

If allowed to congregate in unsupervised packs they can become killers.

They need, gentle loving care, consistant discipline and contact.

They respond well to touch, and attention.

Food is the thing that binds you to them.

If they do turn bad, it may take you time, but if you liberally apply love to them they can come back.

I can do more with my dog than I can with my teenager...Good thing my Rottweiler doesn't have a cell phone. :)

It is my belief that Teen-Agers are a lot like PitBulls.

They need a lot of exercise.

They eat a lot.

They have to be handled delicately, or they will turn on you.

They are larglly misunderstood, and mostly disliked.

Distractions need to be brought in gradually so they learn to listen to you no matter what's going on around them.

You have to pick their "friends" carefully or there will be trouble.

If left to their own defenses they become dangerous.

If allowed to congregate in unsupervised packs they can become killers.

They need, gentle loving care, consistant discipline and contact.

They respond well to touch, and attention.

Food is the thing that binds you to them.

If they do turn bad, it may take you time, but if you liberally apply love to them they can come back.

You are brillant! So all I need is a shock collar and a remote control! :emot-puke-old: Petsmart?